Windows 10: Hotmail name changed

Discus and support Hotmail name changed in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi guys Not sure what section this best fits but has anyone ever had issues with their hotmail/outlook acc whereby their display name randomly... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Scottyboy99, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Hotmail name changed

Hi guys

Not sure what section this best fits but has anyone ever had issues with their hotmail/outlook acc whereby their display name randomly changed? At work today I got emailed by my wife who has hotmail. My work client is outlook and i was baffled when the display name of her email was suddenly 'ClaimsTax UK'??? Totally baffled. When we logged into her account via browser her display name was set as this. Not something we would ever have done ourselves. I have edited it in the account profile back to her name but this is a concern. Does this sound like hacking or maybe MS getting into a pickle. I know outlook.com has had some issues in the past too but never seen anything like this before!

Thanks
    Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Sep 28, 2017
  2. mjm1039 Win User

Change my Name on Window 8 Phnone Calendar

I changed my profile on my hotmail account, changing my name, but on my windows 8 nokia lumina phone, my calendar is still listed as "cole's" calendar, which is the name that I originally set my hotmail account under. How can I get the new name recognized
    by my phone?

mjm1039, Sep 28, 2017
  3. cannot log in, MS account does not recognize my account name

If you can rename the Hotmail account to its old name, you will lose access on the other PC in a similar way. One method that might work, if you can re-name to the old name, is to change the Hotmail account back, then change back to a local Windows login
    after you regain access. Then change back to an MSA login, but use the new name (after you switch it again). Be careful if all of this compromises the other working login. Best to switch that to Local Windows login first too.

Don Cuthbert, Sep 28, 2017
  4. Hotmail name changed

I would run a thorough scan on her machine with MalwareBytes and Defender,this has never happened to me.

Josey Wales, Sep 28, 2017
  5. Unfortunately it’s not a specific machine. It’s her display name in browsers for her Hotmail/MS account. Whenever she sends an email from any device it displays her name as ‘claimstax uk’. I logged into live.com and saw her display name in her had changed, so changed it back to her name and this now shows correct. But all emails still show this wrong display name, so I logged into her mail acc via outlook.live.com and can see her display name in here is still ‘claimsuk tax’ but not able to figure out how to change it

6. Plankton Win User
    Browsers maybe infected....scan all of them.

Also look into the fact that the said email account has been hacked. On that premise, make all changes you would like and then change then password.

Plankton, Sep 28, 2017
  7. Ok, we are puzzled. It’s not infected machine because I tried logging into her acc at home, on work pc and on our iOS smartphones and all show her display name incorrect. It seems like an acc hack rather than infected machine(s). Whilst we will change passwords etc the immediate issue is how can we get outlook.live.com display name changed? It’s now correct in account.microsoft.com but not outlook.live.com and unfortunately this is giving all recipients the impression they are getting mail from this person called ’ClaimsUk tax’

thanks
    wayne

8. Bastet Win User

Hotmail name changed

I recommend turning on two step authentication once you have control back of your wife’s MS account.

Bastet, Sep 28, 2017
  9. Bastet Win User
    Have you checked the Options under the three dots in the lower right corner?
    It might be under connected accounts>scroll down to change the ‘from’ address.

Bastet, Sep 28, 2017
  10. Thanks for suggestions. I finally got home after trying to access all this through the useless iOS safari browser. To my horror as we logged into my wife’s account her display name on the pc changed to the claimstax uk. It was changed under settings - accounts too. So I accessed her acc from within the pc log in where it opened edge and had her acc details and changed her profile name. Well, her name was already there but I just clicked edit and saved. Logged out of pc, logged back in and name reverted to normal. Went onto our other pc and logged in as her, horror as name changes again to claimstax (UK) so I did the same on this machine and name reverted back to normal after logging back out and in. Tested both pcs and the correct name seems to of stuck ok and her emails are now sending from her iPad and phone with the correct display name so hopefully this will be ok now. I am still baffled as to how it ever changed in the first place.

11. Bastet Win User
    Quite possible the account was hacked & changes were made but nothing further was done to totally lock you out of your account. I regularly check my account & one time was horrified to see a successful log in from Virginia. USA - I'm in the UK - I immediately changed my password & set up two-factor authentication, not had a problem since.

Bastet, Sep 28, 2017
  12. pparks1 Win User
    always, always, always use 2 factor authentication.

pparks1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Hotmail name changed

1. Hotmail name changed - Similar Threads - Hotmail name changed

2. i have changed my picture and name in Hotmail, but name is still there. ? how to fix. +...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have changed my picture and name in Hotmail, but name is still there. ? how to fix. +...: I did a name to my darling wife was MG and picture change was a standard non personal photo to show my wife glamour pic on her PC at switching on as a birthday surprise, i had turned syncing/linking off so was equally surprised to see the change show up everywhere i looked !!...
  3. i have changed my picture and name in Hotmail, but name is still there. ? how to fix. +...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have changed my picture and name in Hotmail, but name is still there. ? how to fix. +...: I did a name to my darling wife was MG and picture change was a standard non personal photo to show my wife glamour pic on her PC at switching on as a birthday surprise, i had turned syncing/linking off so was equally surprised to see the change show up everywhere i looked !!...
  4. i have changed my picture and name in Hotmail, but name is still there. ? how to fix. +...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Cannot change hotmail password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change hotmail password: I am unable to change hotmail password. I know my security answers. I can also go to the next step and when I put a new password, I get an error message that something is wrong currently. Please try again later....
  6. Cannot change hotmail password

Cannot change hotmail password: I am unable to change hotmail password. I know my security answers. I can also go to the next step and when I put a new password, I get an error message that something is wrong currently. Please try again later....
  7. name change

name change: Microsoft apps wont recognize my wife's new last name. i have changed the google contact to her correct name. when i log into gmail from a browser, it is correct. when i log in with the mail and calendar, it shows her old name....
  8. Changing name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing name: I want to change a display name of my account. Can you give me instructions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-name/3d999146-af64-4403-aa50-9ded36729cbf
  9. NAME CHANGE

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    NAME CHANGE: MY FIEND SOLD ME HIS COMPUTER NOW I CANT GET HIS NAME OUT OF IT ? IV,E TRIED TO GET NAME OFF BUT HE CANT GET HIS EMAILS NOW ON HIS OTHER COMPUTER. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/name-change/1dbca657-e99f-4d15-b2af-82b282ede54e"
  10. Name change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Name change: How do I change the name of my wifi network? It still identifies as the previous owner of the modem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/name-change/e1b35745-5a43-422e-ac95-3dec4b3b29cd