Windows 10: Hover select issue

Discus and support Hover select issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have had this computer for several years and have never had a problem. In the past 3 months it has started to randomly start selecting everything I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TJSEES, Jun 8, 2020.

1. TJSEES Win User

Hover select issue

I have had this computer for several years and have never had a problem. In the past 3 months it has started to randomly start selecting everything I hover over. This has been pretty scary considering we are all doing virtual work and sharing screens. It's absolutely outrageous. I'm afraid to move my mouse anywhere during virtual work because private documents might be selected. And it isn't predictable, it just starts selecting things half way through the day. I see there are a lot of complaints about this. I have read everything out there and have tried everything posted related to fixing this problem. They DO NOT work. Surely, you have a real solution to this by now. People have been complaining about this for years. Even typing this is a pain, the mouse selects everything. Please don't tell me to go to the Ease of Access option, or the hovering feature, or to get a new mouse, or to do a clean reboot, or update everything, or any of these other typical responses. They do not work. Thank you for any help. I'm so frustrated, if you can't tell :-

:)

TJSEES, Jun 8, 2020

2. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Jun 8, 2020
  3. csatennis Win User
    Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Hover select issue

How do I turn off hover

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X key and click on
      Control Panel.
    • Select or click Ease of Access.
    • Click or tap on Ease of Access Centre.
    • Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck
      Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    • Check if issue is resolved.

Please post back with the results, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

Hover select issue

1. Hover select issue - Similar Threads - Hover select issue

2. Need to disable auto-select on hover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to disable auto-select on hover: I just got a new Lenovo system with Windows 11 Pro. Leaving the mouse over any selectable item seems extraordinarily dangerous. After a few seconds hovering, it decides I mean to select and goes ahead. In only a couple days of use, it has happened many times, and it even...
  3. Need to disable auto-select on hover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to disable auto-select on hover: I just got a new Lenovo system with Windows 11 Pro. Leaving the mouse over any selectable item seems extraordinarily dangerous. After a few seconds hovering, it decides I mean to select and goes ahead. In only a couple days of use, it has happened many times, and it even...
  4. Hover-Select Mostly Works

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hover-Select Mostly Works: I activated the Hover-Select function in my current Win10 so that when my mouse hovers over an open program, that one is auto selected. It seems to mostly work as expected, but does not work when I hover over a Java based program. e.g. a Java based HP calculator I use, or a...
  5. Hover-Select MOSTLY Works

in Windows 10 Support
    Hover-Select MOSTLY Works: I activated the Hover-Select function in my current Win10 so that when my mouse hovers over an open program, that one is auto selected. It seems to mostly work as expected, but does not work when I hover over a Java based program. e.g. a Java based HP calculator I use, or a...
  6. Is it possible to make hover to select windows faster?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to make hover to select windows faster?: Hi. At work I use W10. Can I make selecting windows faster (near instant) by hovering the mouse? I refer to this: https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/activate-window-by-hovering-over-it-in-windows-10.html Thanks. submitted by /u/Royaourt [link] [comments]...
  7. How to stop selection by hovering

How to stop selection by hovering: how do you stop selection by just hovering and only select by clicking on touchpad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-selection-by-hovering/02128c90-b937-4551-a860-1cd1fd8afc72
  8. Disable touchpad hover-select feature

Disable touchpad hover-select feature: Really? Is this true? As I read in another post--this really complicates any work I want to do as I have to keep closing windows that I didn't want to open and paging back to where was working. This is absolutely maddening and makes me think of switching to Apple!!!...
  9. Can the hover / automatic mouse select issue be fixed for ever in RegEdit?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can the hover / automatic mouse select issue be fixed for ever in RegEdit?: The mouse cursor on my laptop computer is virtually driving me mad. I have followed heaps of posts in here to try an de-activate mine - yet none have really proven successful. Some work for a little while, but when I turn my computer off, then the issue returns when my...
  10. Hover / auto-select / auto-highlight Mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hover / auto-select / auto-highlight Mouse: Can any Microsoft technicians or any Microsoft Community members create an app that will turn off the Mouse Hover / Auto-Select / auto-highlight function in Windows 10, please. The Microsoft technicians should create a trouble-shooting tool to do it. It is clearly evident via...