Windows 10: Hover-Select MOSTLY Works

Discus and support Hover-Select MOSTLY Works in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I activated the Hover-Select function in my current Win10 so that when my mouse hovers over an open program, that one is auto selected. It seems to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Thales41, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Thales41 Win User

Hover-Select MOSTLY Works

I activated the Hover-Select function in my current Win10 so that when my mouse hovers over an open program, that one is auto selected. It seems to mostly work as expected, but does not work when I hover over a Java based program. e.g. a Java based HP calculator I use, or a Java based broker application. Is this a known limitation with Win10, or is there some setting that I need to tweak specifically for Java apps? I'm running Win10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1165). (And why oh why does Microsoft not allow one to copy/paste from one of their info pop-up windows?) Thanks

:)

Thales41, Aug 13, 2021

2. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Aug 13, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Items getting selected when hovering mouse over it

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how frustrating it could be when the computer doesn’t work as it is supposed to.

I would suggest you to check the settings mentioned below and see if that helps in making a difference:

Disable Hover feature:

You may want to disable the Hovering over feature for Mouse and check. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type control and click on
      OK
    3. Select Large icons from the drop down for
      View by.
    4. Click on Ease of Access Center and click on
      Make the mouse easier to use.
    5. Clear the checkbox for Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse
      under Make it easier to manage windows.
    6. Click on OK.

Disable ClickLock

Sometimes if ClickLock is enabled any item gets highlighted through the Mouse. We can try disabling it and see if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Widows + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type main.cpl and click on
      OK
    3. Clear the checkbox for Turn on ClickLock.
    4. Click on OK.

Disable Single-click to open item

We can also check if the Single-click to open an item is enabled. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Widows + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type control folders and click on
      OK.
    3. Make sure the option, Double-click to open an item is selected.
    4. Click on OK.

You can customize the view of Outlook as per your requirement. For more information, see

Create, change, or customize a view

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 13, 2021
  4. csatennis Win User

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, Aug 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Hover-Select MOSTLY Works - Similar Threads - Hover Select MOSTLY

2. Need to disable auto-select on hover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to disable auto-select on hover: I just got a new Lenovo system with Windows 11 Pro. Leaving the mouse over any selectable item seems extraordinarily dangerous. After a few seconds hovering, it decides I mean to select and goes ahead. In only a couple days of use, it has happened many times, and it even...
  3. Need to disable auto-select on hover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to disable auto-select on hover: I just got a new Lenovo system with Windows 11 Pro. Leaving the mouse over any selectable item seems extraordinarily dangerous. After a few seconds hovering, it decides I mean to select and goes ahead. In only a couple days of use, it has happened many times, and it even...
  4. Hover-Select Mostly Works

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hover-Select Mostly Works: I activated the Hover-Select function in my current Win10 so that when my mouse hovers over an open program, that one is auto selected. It seems to mostly work as expected, but does not work when I hover over a Java based program. e.g. a Java based HP calculator I use, or a...
  5. Hover select issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hover select issue: I have had this computer for several years and have never had a problem. In the past 3 months it has started to randomly start selecting everything I hover over. This has been pretty scary considering we are all doing virtual work and sharing screens. It's absolutely...
  6. Is it possible to make hover to select windows faster?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to make hover to select windows faster?: Hi. At work I use W10. Can I make selecting windows faster (near instant) by hovering the mouse? I refer to this: https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/activate-window-by-hovering-over-it-in-windows-10.html Thanks. submitted by /u/Royaourt [link] [comments]...
  7. How to stop selection by hovering

How to stop selection by hovering: how do you stop selection by just hovering and only select by clicking on touchpad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-selection-by-hovering/02128c90-b937-4551-a860-1cd1fd8afc72
  8. Disable touchpad hover-select feature

Disable touchpad hover-select feature: Really? Is this true? As I read in another post--this really complicates any work I want to do as I have to keep closing windows that I didn't want to open and paging back to where was working. This is absolutely maddening and makes me think of switching to Apple!!!...
  9. Hover / auto-select / auto-highlight Mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hover / auto-select / auto-highlight Mouse: Can any Microsoft technicians or any Microsoft Community members create an app that will turn off the Mouse Hover / Auto-Select / auto-highlight function in Windows 10, please. The Microsoft technicians should create a trouble-shooting tool to do it. It is clearly evident via...
  10. Translucent focus rectangle when hovering over selections

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Translucent focus rectangle when hovering over selections: Whenever I point the mouse over something, be it desktop icons, mozilla buttons etc, I get this translucent focus. How do I get rid of it? [img] 44252