Windows 10: Hovering mouse over folder does not open it in file explorer

Discus and support Hovering mouse over folder does not open it in file explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a problem with file explorer on windows 10 following the recent update. While drag and dropping a file into a folder, hovering over a folder no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Derwood19, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Derwood19 Win User

Hovering mouse over folder does not open it in file explorer

I have a problem with file explorer on windows 10 following the recent update. While drag and dropping a file into a folder, hovering over a folder no longer opens the folder to allow for direct placement into a subfolder. Any solution appreciated.

***Title modified from: File Explorer***

:)

Derwood19, Nov 6, 2018
  2. BlueBear_ Win User

Hover to Open Folder

Hi,

When moving a file (or folder) within an Explorer windows, I'd like to be able to Open another folder by hovering the mouse (with the selected file/folder) over it. I understand that it can be done in the tree in the Explorer panel, but I find it easier
    to do directly in the main panel. If it is possible with the tree, it seems like it should be with the main window as well. This is a macOS feature I think Windows 10 should really implement. Does anyone know how to do this with Windows 10?

Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

BlueBear_, Nov 6, 2018
  3. display contents of folder on hover ?

I used to have an app that let you hover the mouse over a folder and you will see the contents display in a pop up area.. similar to the right click context feature. You could then choose a shortcut from that to open - all without ever opening the folder itself.

I cant for the life of me find that app but i want to use it to help organize my desktop.

Any ideas?

John Phoenix, Nov 6, 2018
  4. Bree Win User

When Windows+E, how to get Windows Explorer to open where I want?

If you have File Explorer pinned to the taskbar a right-click on it lists all the recent folders you have visited - click on one to open File Explorer at that folder. If you hover the mouse over one of the folders in the list, a pin appears to the right. Click on this to pin your most important folders to the list so that they'll always be available.

Bree, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Hovering mouse over folder does not open it in file explorer - Similar Threads - Hovering mouse folder

2. Windows 10 Hovering over files in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Hovering over files in Explorer: Hey Windows 10 community. I'm looking for the ability to provide more information when you hover over a file in windows explorer. As mines currently configured default, the only thing I see as the file type the dimensions and the size. Does anyone know how to change this?I...
  3. Windows 10 Hovering over files in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Hovering over files in Explorer: Hey Windows 10 community. I'm looking for the ability to provide more information when you hover over a file in windows explorer. As mines currently configured default, the only thing I see as the file type the dimensions and the size. Does anyone know how to change this?I...
  4. Windows 10 Hovering over files in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to stop mouse hover from opening folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop mouse hover from opening folders?: When I am trying to move files on my PC to another folder/storage device, the darn mouse opens/expands the folders before I can let go and place the files where I meant for them to go. There is no problem if there is a single folder with no sub folders. But it happens so...
  6. Too much information when hovering mouse over folder in taskbar

Too much information when hovering mouse over folder in taskbar: Hi, This just started a day or so ago and I don't know why. Before, when I hovered the mouse over a folder icon in the taskbar it would just show the name of the folder. For example "Europe summer 2018" or "The Rocky Mountains winter 2017." So all I had to do was hover over...
  7. File Explorer Crashes While Hovering Over The "New" Option

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Crashes While Hovering Over The "New" Option: Whenever I right-click inside a folder and mouse over the "New" option, even for just a moment, File Explorer freezes immediately, and I am forced to restart the program. I am using Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.17763. I use an Alienware 13 R3 with an Intel(R)...
  8. File explorer keeps auto scrolling to the top when I hover the mouse over it.

File explorer keeps auto scrolling to the top when I hover the mouse over it.: Since I installed the latest windows 10 update, every time I scroll the mouse down in windows explorer (left file structure) it automatically starts to scroll back to the top of the file list. This means I cant select any folders down the tree....
  9. Mouse hovering over other programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse hovering over other programs: I have some problems with my mouse. If i've more screens opened, I normally can switch to the other screen with my mouse. Today I installed Windows 10, but every time I hover to another Window, it puts that window to the foreground. So the other windows, are behind this...
  10. Mouse hovering over other programes.

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse hovering over other programes.: I have some problems with my mouse. If i've more screens opened, I normally can switch to the other screen with my mouse. Today I installed Windows 10, but every time I hover to another Window, it puts that window to the foreground. So the other windows, are behind this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. folder opens when mouse hovers

2. open folder when hover

3. file explorer hover to open folder