Windows 10: Hovering over icons in any program wont enlarge the text but creates random colors instead....

Discus and support Hovering over icons in any program wont enlarge the text but creates random colors instead.... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Two days ago I noticed I was on youtube and one of the titles was too long for me to read, so instinctively I put my cursor on the link and held it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ideriom, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Ideriom Win User

Hovering over icons in any program wont enlarge the text but creates random colors instead....

Two days ago I noticed I was on youtube and one of the titles was too long for me to read, so instinctively I put my cursor on the link and held it there and normally it would show the full name of the video. Instead i was greeted with a box of pink. This same thing happens in all my files too. If I hover over a desktop shortcut its just a box of colors. Also in Steam I was in the shop and my whole top bar was all just green. It's not always green sometimes there's no color change but its blank. (super hard for me to explain whats happening) As I was typing this and snipping some examples, I realized that some of my snipping tools were just covered by these random colors and only went away when I went across them with my cursor. This all started happening after I cleaned out my pc. I uninstalled a lot of programs and defragged my hdd but I was really safe during this process so I am not sure if this plays into effect. (probably does cause I screw up a lot of things) Any help could be highly appreciated because this is getting really annoying and prevents me from doing a lot of tasks.

Example snips:

Hovering over desktop icons shows this. Hovering over youtube thumbnails sometimes shows this.

Hovering over icons in any program wont enlarge the text but creates random colors instead.... cd541f84-e6ff-4f56-9e87-2b34f3c12cbe?upload=true.png Hovering over icons in any program wont enlarge the text but creates random colors instead.... 78091ce1-0169-4b5f-ba64-c8dc305eed36?upload=true.png

Hovering over youtube thumbnails shows this super old text.

Hovering over icons in any program wont enlarge the text but creates random colors instead.... 3e79b2bc-e779-4531-95de-fa58d0d5be65?upload=true.png Snipping tool tools are blank until i move my cursor over them.

Hovering over icons in any program wont enlarge the text but creates random colors instead.... 62f61c08-a6ea-43ea-a058-17bf12d351d9?upload=true.png Top of the Steam bar is just blank. I can move my cursor over the invisible library and it will appear but the moment i move my cursor away it hides itself. Hovering over icons in any program wont enlarge the text but creates random colors instead.... 2720021a-5a29-4c23-a85d-e556876d92b3?upload=true.png

:)

Ideriom, Feb 2, 2019
  2. donwb Win User

Color Changes to mouse hover

Hi Dick

Tried the icon cache reset, it did reset, but so far I didn't detect any change.

I looked at your step recording. What's interesting is that your taskbar does show a loudspeaker icon, apparently even when you're not hovering over it. Then when you click on it you get the vertical slider picture. I get that but by clicking on an empty box. For me, the same is true for the other missing icon - "new notifications"

In your other picture of the mouse over the power icon, I get that just the same, but when I move the mouse down to the first option - Sleep - it is replaced by a black rectangle.

I'll live with these for the time being.

I will try MCBUILDER.exe and report the results later.

.....then I'd have to consider the Spitfires.......

Many thanks
    Don

donwb, Feb 2, 2019
  3. In Windows 10 when I hover over a Taskbar app icon I Do get a SMALL preview above, but when I hover over the Small Preview it USED to enlarge but since update it does not enlarge

In Windows 10 when I hover over a Taskbar app icon I Do get a SMALL preview above, but when I hover over the Small Preview it USED to enlarge but since update it does not enlarge

PeterHewes, Feb 2, 2019
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Hovering over icons in any program wont enlarge the text but creates random colors instead....

Color Changes to mouse hover

Don, I've included a "Step Recording" for you to view. It shows the results of hover and click on your issues. Open in your browser.

Even though the step text says "click", it's obvious where I was hovering.

It did not pick up the hover text on the 3 power options, but they did display and were not blacked out. Nothing was blacked out on any of these steps. Probably the Step Recorder doesn't pick up tool tip messages on sub-menus. All appeared normal on my display.

What are the 2 tray icons still missing?

Please try the icon cache reset, it can cure a lot of goofy tray issues.

Also, you may want to try running MCBUILDER.exe from an Admin cmd line, followed by a restart. It rebuilds the Microsoft Resource cache.

(I smell a dogfight coming!)

Cheers! *Cool Dick...

f14tomcat, Feb 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Hovering over icons in any program wont enlarge the text but creates random colors instead.... - Similar Threads - Hovering icons program

2. Text select pointer goes completely white colored when hovering over black text with a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text select pointer goes completely white colored when hovering over black text with a...: Hello, a couple of days ago, windows updates installed a new AMD display driver. Since then, the text select pointer has been going completely white colored when I hover over black text with a white background This happens on all websites and on both Edge & Chrome, so it...
  3. Text select pointer goes completely white colored when hovering over black text with a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Text select pointer goes completely white colored when hovering over black text with a...: Hello, a couple of days ago, windows updates installed a new AMD display driver. Since then, the text select pointer has been going completely white colored when I hover over black text with a white background This happens on all websites and on both Edge & Chrome, so it...
  4. icon text color

in Windows 10 Gaming
    icon text color: I want to change the desktop icon text color. Using Themes doesn't do what I want. ANy suggestions ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-text-color/95e395f2-e21a-4b08-bf2c-b6a146febcca
  5. icon text color

icon text color: I want to change the desktop icon text color. Using Themes doesn't do what I want. ANy suggestions ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-text-color/95e395f2-e21a-4b08-bf2c-b6a146febcca
  6. icon text color

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Hover over icon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hover over icon: [ATTACH] How do i stop this from happening everytime i drag the mouse over an icon? It even stays like that even if im not hovering over it, i need to click for it to disipear....
  8. Blurred text on some programs/apps until hovered over

Blurred text on some programs/apps until hovered over: I am in need of some help, since a few months ago, I have been having a problem and it is affecting multiple programs like Sony Vegas and Minecraft Launcher. Some of the text in some programs is getting blurred and when I hover over them, it temporarily fixes it, but goes...
  9. Blurry text on some programs/apps until hovered over

in Windows 10 Support
    Blurry text on some programs/apps until hovered over: I am in need of some help, since a few months ago, I have been having a problem and it is affecting multiple programs like Sony Vegas and Minecraft Launcher. Some of the text in some programs is getting blurred and when I hover over them, it temporarily fixes it, but goes...
  10. Color of Icon text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Color of Icon text: Is there a way to make it black? right now I can only make them white or white with a drop-shadow. 60017