Windows 10: How are different versions of files stored in File History?

Discus and support How are different versions of files stored in File History? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; File History is not working to recover files. Since I have several versions of the files backed up, I want to restrict this to only the latest versions... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Anthony Mannucci, Jun 5, 2021.

1. How are different versions of files stored in File History?

File History is not working to recover files. Since I have several versions of the files backed up, I want to restrict this to only the latest versions so I can free up disk space. Is there a way to remove older backups without File History? File History does nothing. It recognizes the backup drive, but states that File History is saving files for the first time, despite that I have already done several backups. When I manually access the backup disk and enter the File History directory, I see several folders:MANNUCCIXEONMANNUCCIXEON 2MANNUCCIXEON 33 seems to contain nothing. The origina

:)

Anthony Mannucci, Jun 5, 2021
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Jun 5, 2021
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 5, 2021
  4. Drone Win User

How are different versions of files stored in File History?

Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Jun 5, 2021
Thema:

How are different versions of files stored in File History?

1. How are different versions of files stored in File History? - Similar Threads - are different versions

2. How to turn on File History ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to turn on File History ?: From the control panel : How to turn on File History ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-file-history/5412cd2b-5ce4-4558-ba2b-5c0f6a865dbf
  3. Message "Select a different File History Drive"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Message "Select a different File History Drive": I've been getting the above message recently saying the the external drive I use is full, although my File History settings are that files should be kept until space is needed... Is there anything else I should do? Thanks....
  4. how to turn on file history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to turn on file history: how to turn on file history. All my files were deleted after las windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-file-history/42b13248-9721-4299-9b97-eb212c0bbce7
  5. Difference between File History and Backup and Restore

Difference between File History and Backup and Restore: I want a complete backup of my laptop. I want EVERY file to be backed up. Which option is better: File History OR Backup and Restore? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-file-history-and-backup-and/eb00ff8f-d696-4e1a-8851-2326a88eeecd
  6. Different File Explorer version?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Different File Explorer version?: My laptop's File Explorer changed to what seems to be a different version of the program: [ATTACH] Without turning dark theme on, only ones with a sharp eye could see how the title bar design is different than the usual one. This version also has issues displaying dark...
  7. Viewing previous versions of a file (using File History?)

Viewing previous versions of a file (using File History?): When I try to view previous versions of a file, I see a message "No previous versions available" I live in China - not sure if that has any effect and have a licensed version of Windows 10, bought from Microsoft Store (China). I have File History enabled, but have never...
  8. Using File History to recover files from a different machine

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Using File History to recover files from a different machine: Hi all, I would assume this should be simple, but I can't figure it out. I had File History turned on an old machine that I'd upgraded to Windows 10. The machine was working fine with File History backing up files to an external storage drive. The machine died recently...
  9. Previous version history file

Previous version history file: Hello, I am new to the forum and currently encountering a problem restoring files from the shadow volume. I do not see any version history when I click the previous version history tab. Using a third party tool like shadowexplorer I am able to see the previous versions....
  10. The Recycle Bin is stored in "File History"

The Recycle Bin is stored in "File History": I have configured File History, but when checking to see whether everything was working, I was surprised to see that the "Restore personal files" window showed that File History had saved recycle bin folders for each the drives that I am backing up, and I cannot see any way...