Windows 10: How are x86 shell extensions able to run on ARM64?

Discus and support How are x86 shell extensions able to run on ARM64? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I've just installed WinRAR (an x86 application) on my shiny new Yoga C630 ARM64 laptop and was very surprised to find out that the explorer shell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DanH12, Jun 27, 2019.

1. DanH12 Win User

How are x86 shell extensions able to run on ARM64?

So I've just installed WinRAR (an x86 application) on my shiny new Yoga C630 ARM64 laptop and was very surprised to find out that the explorer shell extension (the one that adds the compress context menu options on right click) actually works.

Now I have to say that I'm really curious - how is that even possible? Shell extensions are DLL files loaded by explorer.exe and as far as I know WoW64 is process-wide - a native ARM64 process shouldn't be able to load an x86 DLL (or vice-versa). Even on x64 you can't load 32-bit code into a 64-bit process.

... and yet it still works. What's the magic here? Does the ARM64 version of explorer.exe have its own mini WoW64 layer just for shell extensions? Also, if that is the case is there any performance impact on the explorer shell and/or battery life?

:)

DanH12, Jun 27, 2019
  2. w_ou Win User

What is the compatibility level of traditional Win32 x86 native apps on Windows 10 on ARM64?

What is the compatibility level of traditional Win32 x86 native apps on Windows 10 on ARM64?

Can it attain the similar compatibility level on Windows 10 x64 Edition? (i. e. Almost all
    Win32 x86 native apps can run on Windows 10 x64,
    except those who need their own 32-bit kernel-mode drivers.)

3. Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\user extensions\cliente.exe'

Thank you for the response Anil Madilshetty. I attempted the steps you listed above and restarted my laptop on the "Safe Mode." I attempted the pathway for the error 'C:\Program Files (x86)\user extensions\cliente.exe,' but sadly I still have not been
    able to fix this issue, I continue to get the box error ever minute. The common answer for this error on Windows 7 is to delete any file with the word "ROCET" in the file, but I am unable to find that file on Windows 10. Is there perhaps another file name
    that is causing the error 'C:\Program Files (x86)\user extensions\cliente.exe'? Thank you for your response.

Al

AlbertGonzalez_932, Jun 27, 2019
  4. How are x86 shell extensions able to run on ARM64?

Shell experience not running in Windows 10

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the exact issue that you are facing?

• Does that mean the Start menu Cortana and the Task bar is not responding?

• Which is the current build installed on the computer?

• Did you install any third party security application?

• Where exactly did you find that the shell experience not running?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to download and install any pending updates that needs to be installed on the computer through Windows update and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Hope the information helps. Please get back to us with the required information. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

How are x86 shell extensions able to run on ARM64?

1. How are x86 shell extensions able to run on ARM64? - Similar Threads - are x86 shell

2. Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly: I have a Shell Extension which changes the overlay icons for folders and files in my app folder. On Windows 10 it works as expected but on Windows 11 they are not shown/set. I don't know if this is a known issue, but I hope someone can help :...
  3. Windows Pro N not able to run extension Microsoft.RawImageExtension

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Pro N not able to run extension Microsoft.RawImageExtension: Hi, Apologies if this is not the most correct forum for this topic. On my computer I have been using the extension Raw Image Extension from Microsoft so I can see the raw thumbnails from my machine on the file explorer. Yesterday I decided to clean format my desktop and...
  4. shell extension for Explorer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    shell extension for Explorer: Does Windows Explorer have some shell extension available which adds a function to File Properties that would display the "Comments" field for PSD image files in Windows 10? I am able to see this field in Windows 7 If so, how can I access this capability and install it?...
  5. Not able to change x86 windows to x64

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not able to change x86 windows to x64: Hey guys im using a 32 bit os on 64 bit processor but my pc wont allow me to change it . Pls help me.Im stuck with a staggering amount of hardware reserved ram as well.[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. When does SettingSyncHost.exe load Shell Extensions?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    When does SettingSyncHost.exe load Shell Extensions?: Through ProcessHacker, I can see that SettingSyncHost.exe (Host Process for Settings Synchronization) loads Shell extensions from OneDrive (FileSyncShell64.dll), MEGAsync (ShellExtX64.dll), IDM (IDMShellExt64.dll), etc. For debugging a scenario, I'm trying to have...
  7. Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shell Extension for Wildcard Selection: Good afternoon all. Please see this article codeproject dated around 2002 providing binaries and code to a wildcard selection right context menu option. As far as I know, this functionality is not native to the Explorer GUI, only the command, correct? Windows Explorer...
  8. Shell Extension "RealTimes" Context Menu - Can't remove

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shell Extension "RealTimes" Context Menu - Can't remove: The saga of restoring my Windows 10 machine back to its recent glory continues... As my machine is now getting its mojo back with the help of some folks from this forum (thanks guys!), there are still some stray ghosts roaming around it. For example, I continue to see...
  9. Drag and drop shell extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and drop shell extension: Hello everybody, does anybody know how to remove the "create shortcuts here" context-entry when dragging-dropping files with right mouse button? Thanks, Marco 31783
  10. x86 ARM64 emulation: A Windows 10 'Redstone 3' Fall 2017 feature

in Windows 10 News
    x86 ARM64 emulation: A Windows 10 'Redstone 3' Fall 2017 feature: Since January 2016 (and maybe before), there's been talk that Microsoft was working on bringing x86 emulation to ARM processors. Sources of mine are now saying that this capability is coming to Windows 10, though not until "Redstone 3" in the Fall of 2017. Here's why this...