Windows 10: How best to install Win 7=> 10 in dual boot with XP (seperate HDD)?

Discus and support How best to install Win 7=> 10 in dual boot with XP (seperate HDD)? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I currently have a dual-boot system with Win XP on one hard drive and Win 7 on another hard drive. I am looking into upgrading the Win 7 drive to Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Aotrs Commander, Jan 11, 2016.

1. How best to install Win 7=> 10 in dual boot with XP (seperate HDD)?

I currently have a dual-boot system with Win XP on one hard drive and Win 7 on another hard drive. I am looking into upgrading the Win 7 drive to Win 10 sometime in the next month or two.

(At current, on boot up, it gives me the option of booting into Win or selecting "old versions." This has worked satisfactoraily.)

How best to approach this?

The last thing I want to do is screw the XP drive up; the XP is actually the primary drive (in that all the important stuff is on there); the win 7(10) drive is principally there for new games and as (one of several) data repositories.

I have googled the problem, but not turned up any guides as concrete as the ones in which I referred to to set up my current system.

What I have gathered is that it might be best to disconnect the XP HDD from the system before upgrading 7 to 10, yes?

:)

Aotrs Commander, Jan 11, 2016

2. Dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 by cloning Windows 7 to new HDD

Old title: Dual boot Win 10 and Win 7

Have Win 10 on SSD C:\ and a failing HDD with Win 7 and some programs I don't want to lose. I have a new HDD to use to create a dual boot. Media for Win 7 is no longer available. How do I clone the failing disk into a bootable partition on the new HDD?

DavidSchott263, Jan 11, 2016
  3. update a dual boot

hi

I have a dual boot system with

C: with Win XP 32-bit

W: with Win 7 32-bit

It is two partitions on the same HDD

I have an offer to update the Win 7 partition to Win 10 as everyone else

Is it safe to accept the update or is it causing any problem to XP which I use very often

thanks in advance

Åke RagnarEriksson, Jan 11, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How best to install Win 7=> 10 in dual boot with XP (seperate HDD)?

If your goal is to get the Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10, just leave everything as it is and run Windows 10 setup.exe from inside Windows 7. If you have room on the Windows XP hard drive, I would make an image of Windows 7 first using Macrium Reflect Free in case something goes wrong.

NavyLCDR, Jan 11, 2016
  5. I had noticed someone had a thread in which they had had problems with this sort of set-up (they had to run some sort of program to allow the OS-boot sequence to run afte installing 10 over 7) which is what prompted this thread - I'd like to try and get it right first time!

My XP drive is pretty much full, I fear. I might have enough space on the external (one of those aforementioned back-ups), but I don't know; I'll have to have a look closer to the actual time.

That said, there's nothing particularly mission-critical on the Win 7 drive aside from save games (which can be backed up to DVD); all the important stuff like documents and whatnot are just back-ups from the XP drive.

Aotrs Commander, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How best to install Win 7=> 10 in dual boot with XP (seperate HDD)?

1. How best to install Win 7=> 10 in dual boot with XP (seperate HDD)? - Similar Threads - best install 7=>

2. Upgrade to Win 10 from dual boot win 7 / win xp

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Win 10 from dual boot win 7 / win xp: I upgraded from win xp to a dual boot win xp / win 7 by using a win 7 upgrade disk. win 7 is now stable so I don't need win xp any longer and don't need a dual boot system. win 7 is on sata drive c with data also on that sata drive as drive d. win xp is on an old ide drive...
  3. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  4. Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's

Dual boot Win7 and Win10 on seperate HDD's: Hi all, I am sure that this has been asked a thousand times but I am new here so please bear with me. Th problem I have is that I loaded Win 10 on a separate HDD went to dual boot. The computer stared then it carried out a scan disk and happily deleted all the files needed...
  5. Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?: Hi, I have a PC running Windows xp x32 only at the moment. I want to end up with it running Windows XP (as default) and Windows 10 x64 as a dual boot. What's the best way? 70879
  6. Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on seperate drives

Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on seperate drives: I want to set up a dual boot system with windows 10 and 7. I have both already installed on separate drives in my desktop system and was wondering if it is still possible to set up a dual boot. Now I just switch boot priority in BIOS, but sometimes when I start up 7 it wants...
  7. Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?: Hi, I have a PC running Windows 7 only at the moment. I want to end up with it running Windows XP (as default) and Windows 10 as a dual boot. What's the best way? I have an unused XPx64 installation disc and I have used "Windows 10 CreationToolx64.exe" (from MS):...
  8. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  9. how to dual boot win 7 or 10

how to dual boot win 7 or 10: i was using easybcd setup in 7 but it has failed. select win10 leaves me with grub > prompt.*Sick so i selected win10 by using pc bios. am in 10 now. what can i use with win 10? stuff like this is worthless as it assumes both os are on same drive. mine are on seperate...
  10. Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10

Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10: Hello Im not sure which would be the best way to do this, Google is good most of the time but I am getting nowhere apart from getting more stress and a headache. I have Win XP with SP2 already loaded and set up just right on a sata drive, Ive bought a new motherboard,...