Windows 10: How best to sort icons in a folder

Discus and support How best to sort icons in a folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a free-ware application that works fine in Windows XP through Windows 8.1 using if necessary Shaun Brink's techniques to restore the original... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clasys, Jul 30, 2019.

1. clasys Win User

How best to sort icons in a folder

I have a free-ware application that works fine in Windows XP through Windows 8.1 using if necessary Shaun Brink's techniques to restore the original capability found in Windows XP and Vista.

I understand it is hopeless to get this to work now because Win10 changes its underwear every six months or so and everything breaks.

As such, is there any less satisfying way to accomplish something where an intuitive order of icons can be created by either me as the freeware creater or people who download the package to avail themselves of something that works better than forced alphetical names of the icons?

The need is not absolute lockstep, which is what you can do on all before Windows 10, but there is a need to do some form of association or grouping something somehow.

Any ideas of what to do?

The package is used by dozens of people and has zero commercial value.

thanks for listening.

cjl

:)

clasys, Jul 30, 2019

2. How to make a Uber Hidden Folder

• Make a new folder.
    • Change the icon to a blank icon. No icon should appear
    • Rename the folder to a blank by pressing "alt + 255." (NOTE: Press 255 on the numpad) No text should appear.
    • Your done! It is uber hidden. *Big Grin How best to sort icons in a folder :D

PVTCaboose1337, Jul 30, 2019
  3. wolf2009 Win User
    How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

i dont think this answers the question , how do i make all icons in all folders appear "Large Icons" .

thx tho .

wolf2009, Jul 30, 2019
  4. psbecker Win User

Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

1. How best to sort icons in a folder - Similar Threads - best sort icons

2. Sort by folder icons?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort by folder icons?: So, silly question.Can you sort by folder icons?Why?Dropbox recently disabled my account and they allow you to store files online or offline. The online files have an icon with a grey x over them.I had a local storage of Dropbox files but there are online and offline files...
  3. Sort by folder icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort by folder icons?: So, silly question.Can you sort by folder icons?Why?Dropbox recently disabled my account and they allow you to store files online or offline. The online files have an icon with a grey x over them.I had a local storage of Dropbox files but there are online and offline files...
  4. Sort by folder icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sorting folders and the sub folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting folders and the sub folders: Hello. I have a huge music archive and recently had to format and clean install my windows 10, meanwhile I had my archive in my HDD. Now the problem is, my song folder had around 1200~ albums in it, every album in that main folder was ordered by Date and inside every album it...
  6. Disabled sorting files in folders when displayed as "ICONS"?!

Disabled sorting files in folders when displayed as "ICONS"?!: Hello, to sort files by date or name is a useful feature that is partially disabled now in Windows 10. If you have a sub-folder inside the "Downloads" folder with images and you have them displayed for example as'Icons' instead of as 'Details' then you are not able to sort...
  7. Any way to disable sorting of icons on individual folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to disable sorting of icons on individual folders?: My desktop icons can be moved freely to any position. I note when I right click and look at the SORT options, none are checked. Is there any way to force that same behavior on an individual folder? I've tried installing the Windows Powershell as one answer I found on goggle...
  8. Any way to disable sortting of icons on individual folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to disable sortting of icons on individual folders?: My desktop icons can be moved freely to any position. I note when I right click and look at the SORT options, none are checked. Is there any way to force that same behavior on an individual folder? I've tried installing the Windows Powershell as one answer I found on goggle...
  9. Sort FOLDERS

Sort FOLDERS: Hi everyone !!! a very good day to U. so I wanted to sort out my files and folders, where I found out that there is no way to sort my FOLDERS(!). with files like pics or docs it was very easy.I even added tags to some of my pics so that i can sort them according to my...
  10. How to sort desktop icons alphabetically?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to sort desktop icons alphabetically?: . In my normal user account, I sort desktop icons by name. It's clear that there are actually two groups of icons. The first group (after Recycle bin) starts with CCleaner and ends with VLC Media Player. These are the same icons that I see in my Administrator acccount....