Windows 10: How Can A Notebook Be On The Lan But Not Seen By Router or Ping?

Discus and support How Can A Notebook Be On The Lan But Not Seen By Router or Ping? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My son's school laptop works fine at home so it's on the lan alright, using the router. But the router doesn't list it. And I can't ping it. And it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by abrogard, Nov 28, 2018.

1. abrogard Win User

How Can A Notebook Be On The Lan But Not Seen By Router or Ping?

My son's school laptop works fine at home so it's on the lan alright, using the router.

But the router doesn't list it.

And I can't ping it.

And it doesn't ping my machine at home

ipconfig on his machine says 192.168.0.200

which is our lan subnet alright.

when he pings the router he gets 'request timed out' and then he gets three normal replies with TTL 45 or something.

I don't understand any of that. Can anyone explain what's happening to me? Is it normal? Has the school 'fixed ' his machine somehow?

:)

abrogard, Nov 28, 2018
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Good LAN party games?

Most of my suggestions have already been listed.

However, I found Swat4 to actually be a pretty fun LAN game, especially at smaller LAN parties.

newtekie1, Nov 28, 2018
  3. slozomby Win User
    Ping spikes in-game and to router.

other traffic on the lan can affect ping times. all depends on the quality of the router/switch.

haven't done much testing in a while on ip over power line recently. last time I did changes in powerusage on the same circuit affected bandwidth.

slozomby, Nov 28, 2018
  4. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Nov 28, 2018
Thema:

1. How Can A Notebook Be On The Lan But Not Seen By Router or Ping? - Similar Threads - Notebook Lan Router

2. Router upgrade - unable to ping network PC (but can ping in revers)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Router upgrade - unable to ping network PC (but can ping in revers): Version 2004 I have 2 computers (Dell and Lenovo) on my home network, which were connected to a Netgear router via ethernet cable. I had enabled file / print sharing across these and was able to access files on the hard drives on the respective PCs. Yesterday I replaced...
  3. New router, no LAN

New router, no LAN: I updated from DSL (modem/router) to cable (modem/router). Both of my computers had read/write access to my shared folders with the DSL service. When the cable modem/router was installed, both of my computers can access the internet. Both computers can see that the other...
  4. How To Get Seen on the Lan.

How To Get Seen on the Lan.: win10 ver 1909 build 18363.476 If there's clear simple instructions somewhere I haven't been able to find them. Problem is my computer can't be seen on the LAN. It can see other computers. But they can't see it. something needs switching on somewhere.... what? where? 145289
  5. How To Get Seen on the Lan.

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Get Seen on the Lan.: win10 ver 1909 build 18363.476 If there's clear simple instructions somewhere I haven't been able to find them. Problem is my computer can't be seen on the LAN. It can see other computers. But they can't see it. something needs switching on somewhere.... what? where? 145289
  6. Can't ping LAN Router - But can browse all LAN systems?

Can't ping LAN Router - But can browse all LAN systems?: Hello, We have a five system peer to peer LAN in our office. All systems run current WIN10. I was using System1, and lost Internet. I was able to ping, and browse, all other systems on the LAN, but when I tried to browse our router from System1, I could not. Next I tried...
  7. How Can A Notebook Be On The Lan But Not Seen By Router or Ping?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Can A Notebook Be On The Lan But Not Seen By Router or Ping?: My son's school laptop works fine at home so it's on the lan alright, using the router. But the router doesn't list it. And I can't ping it. And it doesn't ping my machine at home ipconfig on his machine says 192.168.0.200 which is our lan subnet alright. when he...
  8. Cannot see router (192.168.0.1) but can ping ok

Cannot see router (192.168.0.1) but can ping ok: Having network problems. I cannot connect to my router(192.168.0.1). However I can ping the device ok. Any ideas would be appreciated. 105641
  9. Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN

Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN: I just moved into my business partner's home office and I am trying to get Dev (computer #1, Win10 Pro) to see DbServer's (computer #2, also Win10 Pro) Postgres Database to no avail so far. He has a Comacast router which seems to be using using IPv6 primarily. When I go to...
  10. Connection Troubles with LAN Router

Connection Troubles with LAN Router: This maybe a longer experiment. There are only 11 channels, try them till you find the best.