Windows 10: How can a script or EXE detect if it's running on a server?

Discus and support How can a script or EXE detect if it's running on a server? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What call or query can I make to determine whether the PC my software is running on is a single-user PC or a server? For example, is there a registry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by contours, Sep 30, 2018.

1. contours Win User

How can a script or EXE detect if it's running on a server?

What call or query can I make to determine whether the PC my software is running on is a single-user PC or a server? For example, is there a registry entry to check?

The utility systeminfo.exe can return a comprehensive summary with lines for "OS Name:" and "OS Configuration:". But what I'd like is something far simpler: IsServer=Yes/No.

If there is no single parameter to check, then is "OS Configuration" a reliable indication? If so, what does a server version have on that line. (I don't have access to a server to test this ... and my development PC shows Standalone Workstation.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

contours, Sep 30, 2018

2. long running script in email account

Hi,

The long-running script error usually occurs when there are issues with Internet Explorer.

To resolve your concern, we suggest turning off the scripting debugger in Internet Explorer 11. Please follow these steps:

• Open Internet Explorer.
    • Click the Settings icon at the top-right corner, then select Internet Options.
    • On the Advanced tab, uncheck Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer) and
      Disable script debugging (Other).
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, check if the issue will still persist.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Sep 30, 2018
  3. 'long running script' error

Hi Sandi,

The issue may occur due to setting configuration of your IE11. In order for us to assist you, please answer the questions below:

• Were there any changes made prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest to check this thread:
    Message that website is not responding due to a long running script
    . Look for Don Varnau answer. It contains troubleshooting steps pertaining to the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Sep 30, 2018
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Can't run .exe file

Hi Phil,

There are several reasons why you are having issues running .exe files on your Windows 10 laptop. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your laptop prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What is the error message that you received when running .exe files?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Sep 30, 2018
Thema:

1. How can a script or EXE detect if it's running on a server? - Similar Threads - script EXE detect

2. How can you make a vbs script run in the background?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can you make a vbs script run in the background?: Basically, i have this script :Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell"If WshShell.AppActivate"wordpad" = True thenWshShell.run "cmd.exe"end ifThe thing is that, i need it to run in the background for my script to workIf it's possible, i would rather have no command...
  3. How can you make a vbs script run in the background?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can you make a vbs script run in the background?: Basically, i have this script :Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject"WScript.Shell"If WshShell.AppActivate"wordpad" = True thenWshShell.run "cmd.exe"end ifThe thing is that, i need it to run in the background for my script to workIf it's possible, i would rather have no command...
  4. How can you make a vbs script run in the background?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can not run .exe file. chrome setup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can not run .exe file. chrome setup: I need to install chrome so when i go to chrome.google.com i download the For Windows 10/8.1/8/7 64-bit. Once it downloads i open it, my cursor shows the loading symbol, but it never opens. any ideas on why?...
  6. running .exe command

in Windows 10 Customization
    running .exe command: I am using mingw compiler. while i am running a CC++ program works fine program it compiles successfully but when i ran it i am facing a problem.I am getting that access is denied.I tried reinstalling but nothing has changed.I am facing this problem when i am connected to...
  7. Running a .exe with no GUI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Running a .exe with no GUI: I use Linux on my home computer, but at most other places it’s Windows 10. I created a Python script to ask the user for a password and if it’s correct it’ll display my passwords. This is obviously insecure because the user could edit the file and see all the data that’ll be...
  8. Running exe file creates extra session on Windows 10 Server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Running exe file creates extra session on Windows 10 Server: We got a temporary file share on a Windows10 server and I moved my .exe to the file share. I ran the application but it seemed to create extra sessions on the server. The application ran just fine. No problems. Did some webx with Lynn, and find out the .exe promote...
  9. Script running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Script running: Every so often my computer will freeze on a page. I get a message push this button to stop the script, when I do this the page will unfreeze. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/script-running/95442ea7-9470-4cf6-815a-b9a626b9af61
  10. Running Script

in Windows 10 Support
    Running Script: I am running Windows 10 / IE 11 and I keep getting a running script error (“Do you want to continue running scripts on this page”?) and it is driving me crazy. I am not real tech savvy so I don’t know where to look on how to. It just started doing it and I have been using...