Windows 10: How can downgrade to versions 1909 after deleting windows.old folder in Windows 10 ?

Discus and support How can downgrade to versions 1909 after deleting windows.old folder in Windows 10 ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am currently using Windows 10 version 2004, I upgraded my laptop using media creation tool. Now I am facing some issues. how can downgrade to version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Abhay Rao, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Abhay Rao Win User

How can downgrade to versions 1909 after deleting windows.old folder in Windows 10 ?

I am currently using Windows 10 version 2004, I upgraded my laptop using media creation tool. Now I am facing some issues. how can downgrade to version 1909, I have deleted windows.old folder and it has been lesser than 10 days.

:)

Abhay Rao, Jul 20, 2020

2. Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Jul 20, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    How to delete windows.old folder (laptop with TPM) [Solved]

Ok, got the windows.old folder removed today, this after a large update about a week ago, it seemed to replaced the 600mb windows.old folder with new files since the windows.old folder was about 19GB now...
    But was able to remove it completely now with the windows disk cleanup. *Smile How can downgrade to versions 1909 after deleting windows.old folder in Windows 10 ? :)

P4-630, Jul 20, 2020
  4. clutchc Win User

How can downgrade to versions 1909 after deleting windows.old folder in Windows 10 ?

windows.old folder question

Thanks, but that's not what I'm asking. I do that as well. I want to know if the windows.old folder will auto delete like it does after the upgrade.

clutchc, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

1. How can downgrade to versions 1909 after deleting windows.old folder in Windows 10 ? - Similar Threads - downgrade versions 1909

2. How downgrade to old version of notepad on win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How downgrade to old version of notepad on win11: How can I download previous version of windows notepad from before the last update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-downgrade-to-old-version-of-notepad-on-win11/de4bc5f5-4db0-4910-bf64-7ac928a37517
  3. How downgrade to old version of notepad on win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How downgrade to old version of notepad on win11: How can I download previous version of windows notepad from before the last update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-downgrade-to-old-version-of-notepad-on-win11/de4bc5f5-4db0-4910-bf64-7ac928a37517
  4. How to Downgrade from 21h1 to 1909 Windows Version?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Downgrade from 21h1 to 1909 Windows Version?: Hello I am trying to downgrade my winver, due to a program that can not be run on 21h1 and some bugs on 21h1. I've already tried to go to my updates to uninstall the "Feature Update to Windows 10 21h1 ..." I cannot right click to uninstall this update. I've also passed the 10...
  5. How to Downgrade from 21h1 to 1909 Windows Version?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Downgrade from 21h1 to 1909 Windows Version?: Hello I am trying to downgrade my winver, due to a program that can not be run on 21h1 and some bugs on 21h1. I've already tried to go to my updates to uninstall the "Feature Update to Windows 10 21h1 ..." I cannot right click to uninstall this update. I've also passed the 10...
  6. How to Downgrade from 21h1 to 1909 Windows Version?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Old Windows Version Not Activated After You Downgrade from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Old Windows Version Not Activated After You Downgrade from Windows 10: Windows 10 was offered as a free upgrade. That made it very tempting to upgrade your existing version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 before the offer ends. But for some people that upgrade didn’t work out so great, and now they’re stuck with “Windows not...
  8. downgrade to windows 10 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    downgrade to windows 10 1909: Hello could you guys explain how to downgrade windows 10-2004 to windows 10-1909,the 10 days already expired,I am aware that I will wipeout all my current data....
  9. Old Windows Version Not Activated After You Downgrade from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Old Windows Version Not Activated After You Downgrade from Windows 10: Windows 10 was offered as a free upgrade. That made it very tempting to upgrade your existing version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 before the offer ends. But for some people that upgrade didn’t work out so great. Maybe Windows 10 wasn’t working well on their PC,...
  10. Can Windows (old) folder be deleted

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can Windows (old) folder be deleted: Can the "Windows (old)" folder be deleted safely? I only have a 128g ssd for my operating system, and 25gig is being taken up by a folder called Windows (old) I would like to free up some space. 22791