Windows 10: How can I access/change my Bitlocker password for my external hard drive?

Discus and support How can I access/change my Bitlocker password for my external hard drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I try to plug my hard drive into another computer, Bitlocker pops up and asks me for a password that I never set, and I'm unable to access the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AveryDavis, Nov 29, 2018.

1. How can I access/change my Bitlocker password for my external hard drive?

When I try to plug my hard drive into another computer, Bitlocker pops up and asks me for a password that I never set, and I'm unable to access the hard drive.

Btw, there are no recovery keys in my Microsoft Account.

Is it necessary to reset my computer? If so, does it matter which computer I reset...? Because any computer that I plug my hard drive into prompts me for Bitlocker.

:)

AveryDavis, Nov 29, 2018

2. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Nov 29, 2018
  3. BridgetV Win User
    Can't access my external hard drives because of BitLocker

I just got the same exact screen when trying to access my external hard drive! I've used my external hard drive for years and it has never given me problems. I plugged it in today and it says access is denied due to bitlocker. Please tell me you got help
    with this?!

BridgetV, Nov 29, 2018
  4. Ernie San Win User

How can I access/change my Bitlocker password for my external hard drive?

changing bitlocker password, Windows 10

Hello Keith,

We suggest to change it from Control Panel. You may follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Unlock drive.
    • Type your present password and click Unlock.
    • The drive will be unlocked and you will notice more links on the right of that particular unlocked drive, click
      Change password.
    • Now, you may type your Old password, New password and Confirm new password.
    • Click Change password.
    Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Ernie San, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

How can I access/change my Bitlocker password for my external hard drive?

1. How can I access/change my Bitlocker password for my external hard drive? - Similar Threads - access change Bitlocker

2. how to access my external hard drive on my Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to access my external hard drive on my Lenovo laptop: 304-561-4654 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-access-my-external-hard-drive-on-my-lenovo/eb0902c8-39ef-4f7e-89d9-5cfece6bddc3
  3. how to access my external hard drive on my Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to access my external hard drive on my Lenovo laptop: 304-561-4654 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-access-my-external-hard-drive-on-my-lenovo/eb0902c8-39ef-4f7e-89d9-5cfece6bddc3
  4. how to access my external hard drive on my Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.: When I try to access my external hard drive on my laptop, it just says that the drive is not available and that access is denied. I have a lot of important files on it so I would like to keep them if possible....
  6. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.: When I try to access my external hard drive on my laptop, it just says that the drive is not available and that access is denied. I have a lot of important files on it so I would like to keep them if possible....
  7. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

8. Unable to change Bitlocker password on External hard disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to change Bitlocker password on External hard disk: Hi, I am running Windows 10 Pro on my personal laptop. I had encrypted one of my external hard disks using Bitlocker couple of years back and it is running fine. However when I try to change the password it gives me error saying "The drive cannot be encrypted because it...
  9. my external hard drive is not accessible. how can I open it?

my external hard drive is not accessible. how can I open it?: My external hard drive comes as F drive but is not accessible how can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-external-hard-drive-is-not-accessible-how-can-i/7761ef30-c4ee-4f6b-b812-ea3a52561470
  10. changed access to external hard drive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    changed access to external hard drive: I made a mistake by changing something I should not. My system is dutch so I must translate, which is probably not always clear, sorry for that. Here is what happened: I opened filebrowser and I saw a little icon with two heads under my external hard drive. I thought that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how can I change the external HD password