Windows 10: How can I Activate Window 11 from Window 10 without digital license key?

Discus and support How can I Activate Window 11 from Window 10 without digital license key? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, I am currently using Window 10 Enterprise version, which is not registered by digital key license, I guess it was done by physical. Later on, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Tom_401, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Tom_401 Win User

How can I Activate Window 11 from Window 10 without digital license key?

Hi, I am currently using Window 10 Enterprise version, which is not registered by digital key license, I guess it was done by physical. Later on, I have installed Window 11 which was recommended by windows but it shows not activate. Can you please guide me how to activate Windows 11, although I have legal Window 10.

:)

Tom_401, Apr 21, 2024

2. Windows won't activate a digital license but will with a product key?

Pardon my jumping in... On the first point: Once you have a digital license on a machine, you don't really need the key again. You could simply reinstall Windows using the generic key. Windows then creates a hash that is unique to your computer. It will look on the Windows activation servers to see if that machine has ever been activated before with the same edition of Windows. If it has, it will auto activate. There is no need to transfer any sort of license or even take any action whatsoever. It's just magic *Smile. One the final point, regarding usage of license keys for Win 10 and 11. Just to take that point one step further - If you activate a system with Win 10, you can at any time install Windows 11 as well. You can also go the other way around. If you use a license to install Win 11, you could later decide to install Win 10 instead. Even the generic keys are the same for Win 10 and 11. So, those licenses are truly interchangeable because they are one and the same. Just to illustrate a scenario that is common for me: Let's say that I have a new computer. I typically like to install by doing a fully automated, unattended install. With an unattended install you use a generic key. For example, I will use the Win 10 / 11 Pro generic key. Because generic keys are NOT activation keys, Windows will not activate automatically after installation. I will have to provide a real Win 10 / 11 Pro key to activate it. At that point a digital license is created and stored on Microsoft servers for my system. Once activated, I toss that key, knowing that I will never need it again. Now, assume that I reinstall Windows from scratch again on that same system. If I'm doing an unattended install I provide the generic key (because unattended installation needs some sort of key). If I'm manually stepping through the installation, I simply tell Windows that I don't have a key. I just make sure that I am installing the same edition of Windows (Pro). After installation, Windows checks the Microsoft servers to see if a digital license exists for that machine. If it does, it activates. Note that at no time did I need to reference the original license key or perform any sort of transfer. It just happens automagically. Hope that helps!

hsehestedt, Apr 21, 2024
  3. Windows won't activate a digital license but will with a product key?

Thank you for the insight
    That's interesting. So you are suggesting after I make my next clone, I enter a generic product key in windows activation and THEN follow up with purchasing (or transferring) a digital license? Do I understand you correctly? If so, I'll try that on my next build.
    It is possible. My only experience seeing it not cleared up in an hour (besides, of course, having the wrong time on my machine or a truly faulty connection) was many years ago. When I contacted Microsoft, they were able to diagnose that my license wasn't valid but couldn't tell me why. If memory serves me correctly, I attempted to move a license from a windows ten machine that initially was an upgrade from windows seven. I discovered (on this forum) that a windows ten license that was upgraded from windows seven license was not eligible to be transferred to a new machine. And I was not able to purchase a digital license. I needed a product key.
    I couldn't find reputable dealers that are still selling retail windows 10 licenses (for example, Best Buy only lists the Spanish version of windows home on their website). But since I just learned that a windows 11 license can be used my concern has been allayed.

WorkPermit, Apr 21, 2024
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Windows won't activate a digital license but will with a product key?

If you plan on "transferring" a digital license from one computer to another using the activation troubleshooter and your Microsoft Account, then yes, start with the generic product key on the new computer. Actually, on a new install, you select the option for "I don't have a product key" and then after the install use the Activation Troubleshooter. Otherwise, if you are using a unique product key, either purchased or embedded in the firmware of the computer by the factory - let Windows 10/11 activate for the first time from that product key. AFTER it is activated, change the product key to the generic. One advantage to doing this is that if the original product key was OEM, changing it to the generic retail product key will also change the digital license type to retail and make it transferrable to another computer.

NavyLCDR, Apr 21, 2024
Thema:

1. How can I Activate Window 11 from Window 10 without digital license key? - Similar Threads - Activate Window Window

2. Windows not activating from digital license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not activating from digital license: I recently upgraded from windows 10. I have 2 laptops running with the same microsoft account first one had windows 10 pro and the other one had windows 10 enterprise. I upgraded the laptop with enterprise edition which was already activated through a diigital license. After...
  3. Windows not activating from digital license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not activating from digital license: I recently upgraded from windows 10. I have 2 laptops running with the same microsoft account first one had windows 10 pro and the other one had windows 10 enterprise. I upgraded the laptop with enterprise edition which was already activated through a diigital license. After...
  4. Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 11 license Key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 11 license Key?: I reinstalled Windows 10 and noticed that it has the same license key as when I had Windows 11. Are there any issues with using it. So Far, it runs well....
  5. Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 11 license Key?

Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 11 license Key?: I reinstalled Windows 10 and noticed that it has the same license key as when I had Windows 11. Are there any issues with using it. So Far, it runs well....
  6. Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 11 license Key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to activate windows 10 with digital license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate windows 10 with digital license?: I want to install linux on my HP laptop by completely removing windows 10, my laptop came with windows 10 preinstalled with digital license key. So if I want to switch back to windows 10 how do i reactivate my windows with my digital license key?...
  8. How to activate windows 10 with digital license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to activate windows 10 with digital license?: I want to install linux on my HP laptop by completely removing windows 10, my laptop came with windows 10 preinstalled with digital license key. So if I want to switch back to windows 10 how do i reactivate my windows with my digital license key?...
  9. How to activate windows 10 with digital license?

10. How can I Activate Window 11 from Window 10 without digital license key?

How can I Activate Window 11 from Window 10 without digital license key?: Hi, I am currently using Window 10 Enterprise version, which is not registered by digital key license, I guess it was done by physical. Later on, I have installed Window 11 which was recommended by windows but it shows not activate. Can you please guide me how to activate...