Windows 10: How can I add a program to the "use other programs" list when associating file types?

Discus and support How can I add a program to the "use other programs" list when associating file types? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am trying to associate a file type (.txt) with a .exe such that when I open text files, it uses that program. When I attempt to do this through the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Nathan_829, Jan 15, 2019.

1. How can I add a program to the "use other programs" list when associating file types?

I am trying to associate a file type (.txt) with a .exe such that when I open text files, it uses that program. When I attempt to do this through the settings menu, it does not provide the program I am looking for in the list, even when I click "other programs." How can I fix this?

:)

Nathan_829, Jan 15, 2019
  2. webben Win User

File type associations not launching the program in the list

This problem has just started on several machines since 8/20/2016. On Windows 10 Pro computers, the program associated with a file type extension will not launch correctly anymore even though the correct program is listed as associated with that file type.

I have seen two versions of this issue. On one machine, double clicking on a file in Windows Explorer with a .xls extension would open Excel but the worksheet would be blank. If you open Excel first and then load the file from within Excel, it opens fine.

On another computer, double clicking on a file with an assigned file extension results in nothing happening.

I have been able to solve this problem by going to the "Control Panel" --> "Default Programs" --> "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" selecting the file extension I need to work, click "Change Program..." and select the same program that was already listed as the "Current Default".

Obviously, the program listed as the current default is no longer associated with the extension in the registry.

The next time I see this behavior, I will check the registry entries before I apply my "fix".

I just wanted to know if others are seeing this issue and what is causing it.

webben, Jan 15, 2019
  3. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jan 15, 2019
  4. WilN937 Win User

How can I add a program to the "use other programs" list when associating file types?

How do I associate file types with non Microsoft programs?

Thank you for your suggestion. I had already reinstalled the program but did not restart. The restart did not change anything but I did learn a few things later.

• Installation does set the associations for types that are unassigned but it does not change the association for known types at least in many cases.
    • It does not add the new executable to the list of possibilities that File Explorer displays if you click "Open with...". This is not a good thing so I will submit a Feedback.
    • If you select properties for a file you can select change "Opens with:" which will let you browse for a program and it will then change it for all files of that type.

WilN937, Jan 15, 2019
Thema:

How can I add a program to the "use other programs" list when associating file types?

1. How can I add a program to the "use other programs" list when associating file types? - Similar Threads - add program programs

2. change default program when not listed by ms for that file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change default program when not listed by ms for that file type: win10 want to change default photos app for .jpg to faststone, but not available to search in installed programs for it, just the ms store, hopefully there is some way to do this, not just for this but any default program of my own choice [img] 176865
  3. where is MORE OPTIONS when trying to associate a file type with a program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    where is MORE OPTIONS when trying to associate a file type with a program: I want to change the program that opens a file type, but when I get the options the program I want to use isn't there, & the only option available to me is look in the Microsoft Store......I want to look on my PC.....duh......where the program is, not in any store...but that...
  4. Associating a file type with a default program

Associating a file type with a default program: How can I change the association for a file type to an alternative application already installed? Using "control panel/default programs/assciate a file type or protocol with a program" dialogue always ends up showing the current default app plus the option of finding an...
  5. how to add a program to the list of programs that will start when windows starts

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to add a program to the list of programs that will start when windows starts: I want to learn how to add a program to the list of programs that will start when windows starts. As an exercise and to describe the steps to take, I tried to add a program called Keepass. Here are the steps I took: 1. click start/search msconfig [ATTACH] 2. click...
  6. program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension: I went to control panel, file, and when I click on "change the file type associated with a file extension" the window opens with the blue screen and the file icon in the center but never actually opens up at all....
  7. How to add my own program to the list of Default programs?

How to add my own program to the list of Default programs?: I'm trying to add my own program (AkelPad) to the list of Default programs. [img] I created and applied the reg-file, but the program still is not in the list. Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AkelPad\Capabilities]...
  8. File Association to Programs

File Association to Programs: Hello, Some programs on the pc were not installed with the installer - they are portable zip files, I unziped them into a folder, made a shortcut to the desktop and they work fine for me. They are not listed in the 'installed programs' list. I am trying to associate...
  9. How can I add a new program to the Open With dialog list

How can I add a new program to the Open With dialog list: None of the search results answered this specific question...I can't figure out how to open an add screen with which to select a program and add it to the current list for a given file type. Any feedback will be most appreciated. thanks 99455
  10. File type associations not launching the program in the list

File type associations not launching the program in the list: This problem has just started on several machines since 8/20/2016. On Windows 10 Pro computers, the program associated with a file type extension will not launch correctly anymore even though the correct program is listed as associated with that file type. I have seen two...