Windows 10: How can I add my son's laptop back to his account after deleting it?

Discus and support How can I add my son's laptop back to his account after deleting it? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; In my microsoft family settings i've been getting the message "Update your family member's Windows 10 device to get family features to work. "for my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Andrew Creagh, Apr 21, 2020.

1. How can I add my son's laptop back to his account after deleting it?

In my microsoft family settings i've been getting the message "Update your family member's Windows 10 device to get family features to work. "for my son's lenovo 300e laptop. But I was having problems with windows update on the device and kept getting failed updates. So I reset the device with a new windows install after unsuccessfully trying a bunch of other solutions to fix the issue and this has fixed the update issue, the device is now up to date and working as it should.

After doing that I was still getting the "update your family member's windows 10 device......." message in the family management section of my windows account. I thought if I removed the device from my son's account and added it back this might fix the problem. I have removed the device but can't now figure out how to add it back. The instructions it gives me to add a device are:

Add a Windows PC

Signing in during setup

Follow the setup instructions on your PC.

Signing in after setup

• Go to Settings
    • Select Accounts > Your Info
    • Select Sign in with a Microsoft account instead
    • The new device will appear on your account’s Devices page

But the device is already set up and signed in, so I've signed out, rebooted and signed back in but I can't get it to show up as one of his devices again.

I'm probably missing something obvious.....

:)

Andrew Creagh, Apr 21, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

administrator change from me to my son on laptop I bought for him

If your son has an account on the laptop already:

• Go to Control Panel (Windows + X keys together and choose Control Panel from the resulting menu)
    • Select User Accounts - Manage Another Account
    • Select your son's account and set its type to Administrator
    • If you want to delete your own account, close Control Panel, log out, log in under your son's account, go to the same place in Control Panel, Manage Accounts and delete your old account

If your son does not have an account on the laptop:

• Go to Control Panel (Windows + X keys together and choose Control Panel from the resulting menu)
    • Select User Accounts - Manage Another Account - Add a new User in PC Settings
    • In Settings select 'Family and other People', then 'Add someone else to this PC'
    • Create a new account for your son, if you wan you can skip the step to enter your son's email address by clicking 'I don't have this persons Sign-in Information' - 'Add a User without a Microsoft Account'
    • Enter your Son's Name and Password if required, set account type as administrator
    • If you want to delete your own account, close Control Panel, log out, log in under your son's account, go to the same place in Control Panel, Manage Accounts and delete your old account

DaveM121, Apr 21, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    W10 wiped my son's laptop

Hi Debbie,

It is possible that your son is unable to open his laptop while updating due to a corrupted or incomplete installation. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Is your son, getting an error message when he tried to turn on his laptop?
    • When he tried to open his laptop, are you able to check if the power light stays on?
    • Are you seeing black screen/blank screen when you tried to turn on his laptop?
    • What troubleshooting steps has your son done so far to resolve it?

Meanwhile, if you're seeing a blank screen/black screen, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which best describes your issue.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Apr 21, 2020
  4. Vesao Win User

How can I add my son's laptop back to his account after deleting it?

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Apr 21, 2020
Thema:

How can I add my son's laptop back to his account after deleting it?

1. How can I add my son's laptop back to his account after deleting it? - Similar Threads - add son's laptop

2. My son can't log into his account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My son can't log into his account.: So we can't log into my sons account, and I can't recover it.Someone hacked it, and now when we go to log in, we get the code in our email, then it gives us two different bogus "aliases" that are partially hidden. And then it just doesn't let us do anything.Why can't we...
  3. My son can't log into his account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My son can't log into his account.: So we can't log into my sons account, and I can't recover it.Someone hacked it, and now when we go to log in, we get the code in our email, then it gives us two different bogus "aliases" that are partially hidden. And then it just doesn't let us do anything.Why can't we...
  4. My son can't log into his account.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My son forgot his password to login on his laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    My son forgot his password to login on his laptop: My son forgot his login on his laptop. How do i reset? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-son-forgot-his-password-to-login-on-his-laptop/bf7b1f19-09a7-41cf-83ef-3fffd112acd3
  6. My son forgot his password to login on his laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My son forgot his password to login on his laptop: My son forgot his login on his laptop. How do i reset? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-son-forgot-his-password-to-login-on-his-laptop/bf7b1f19-09a7-41cf-83ef-3fffd112acd3
  7. My son forgot his password to login on his laptop

8. My son hit his laptop and something broke

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My son hit his laptop and something broke: About a week ago my son lost his temper in a game and he hit my laptop under the control, alt, fn and windows keys and a little bit below the intel core sticker. The laptop fans went extremely loud. He shut his laptop down immediately and turned it back on.Since then his...
  9. My son hit his laptop and something broke

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My son hit his laptop and something broke: About a week ago my son lost his temper in a game and he hit my laptop under the control, alt, fn and windows keys and a little bit below the intel core sticker. The laptop fans went extremely loud. He shut his laptop down immediately and turned it back on.Since then his...
  10. How do I get my account back if my son trying to seperate his XBox from my account deleted...

How do I get my account back if my son trying to seperate his XBox from my account deleted...: My son last night tried to separate his XBox from my MS account. In doing so, he accidentally deleted my email I have had for over ten years associated with my account. MS Customer Service could not help me restore the email I have had. Who at MS can help me restore my...