Windows 10: How can I back up all contents of users or system folders?

Discus and support How can I back up all contents of users or system folders? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Id like to get a good Windows app (best it if works with macOS too) to copy the whole contents of a folder (including system files, symbolic links,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by antonio3535, May 5, 2021.

1. How can I back up all contents of users or system folders?

Id like to get a good Windows app (best it if works with macOS too) to copy the whole contents of a folder (including system files, symbolic links, etc). Ive done some frustrating tests with robocopy (I tried all possible switches), WinMerge, Windiff or just drag-and-drop, they either have issues with either system files, symbolic links, offline files etc. The problem is that, after the backup, I compare both folders and the file count and size will change, so, how can I know everything has been backed up without having to spend time revising the backup? I wonder if theres any app for Windows/macOS to backup everything, without having to clone the drive. If the only solution is cloning, whats a good tool for a computer repair technician (to backup and restore customers drives, etc), even if I have to pay for it. I would connect both the source and target drives to separate SATA ports (I heard it's better than connecting through USB, not sure why). Any advice much appreciated.

:)

antonio3535, May 5, 2021
  2. Ntracs Win User

Rename Folder for assigned to system user

I would appreciate some assistance with the change requested below:

LAPTOP
    is connected to a network

LAPTOP
    has a sign on account is connected to LAPTOP

LAPTOP
    The has the following 3 folders are attached to LAPTOP impacted by the change request:

- A1
    - B2
    - USERS

The contents of each folders are listed below:

A1 - Contains active files

B2 - "which has the same as the account " contains folder A1
    ie (\\LAPTOP\B2)

USERS -Contains folder A1

I would like to know what I can do to delete the duplicate folders:.

Step 1:
    Move the active files from Folder A1 to Folder B2 and delete folder A1.:
    Step 2:
    Move Folder B2 under the USERS Folder:

This would ensure that the active files are located in Folder B2 under the USERS folder and the folder
    will the be associated with the Account Name.

I would appreciate your comments on if this is possible

Ntracs, May 5, 2021
  3. Kari Win User
    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

Kari, May 5, 2021
  4. How can I back up all contents of users or system folders?

Removing errant files in the "System Volume Information" folder under Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response.

I suggest you to first stop Volume Shadow Copy service and try to remove the files and check. Follow the steps provided below:

Step 1: Stop Volume Shadow Copy service

• Press Windows logo Key + R key.

• Type services.msc.

• Search for Volume Shadow Copy service.

• Right click on it and select
      Stop.
    Now, take ownership of the System volume Information folder and then try to delete its contents.

Step 2: File permissions.

• Right click on System volume Information folder.
    • Select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Select the user name.
    • Click on Edit button.
    • Under permission to Authenticated user, check on full control.
    • Click on Apply and OK button.

Hope it helps. Do let us know the status of the issue. If you need further assistance, get back to us. We will be glad to assist you.

Syed Md Bilal, May 5, 2021
Thema:

How can I back up all contents of users or system folders?

1. How can I back up all contents of users or system folders? - Similar Threads - contents users system

2. How can I change my user folder picture back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change my user folder picture back?: Can I change my user folder icon "Sherif Wahba" on the left side? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-my-user-folder-picture-back/a9f9a8c8-c0f8-4b93-b4df-7f5dd816ed5d
  3. How can I change my user folder picture back?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I change my user folder picture back?: Can I change my user folder icon "Sherif Wahba" on the left side? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-my-user-folder-picture-back/a9f9a8c8-c0f8-4b93-b4df-7f5dd816ed5d
  4. backing up \users on crashed system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backing up \users on crashed system: I have a system that refuses to boot to Windows 10, and I think I need to do a reinstall. The advanced boot options is available, but it will not go into safe mode. I can however get the command line, and it recognizes both robocopy and xcopy. Assume that C is the hard...
  5. content files in folder's system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    content files in folder's system: Hello, I had the system folder and other configured folders: cache the contents of the file in addition to the file name. So I removed this attribute, to thin the database of files and folders windows. Is this a problem? Thank you in advance!!...
  6. Messed up User "Video" folder, how to get it back?

Messed up User "Video" folder, how to get it back?: Hi, I moved the user video folder to a second hard drive and then tried pinning it to Quick Access. It didn't pin properly so I set it back to default. I did this a few times trying to get the Video icon to appear in Quick Access when pinned there. Nothing worked....
  7. Can I delete the contents of this folder

Can I delete the contents of this folder: Und On my C:\ drive I have a folder called Windows 10 Upgrade. Can the contents of this folder be deleted as it contains 20.0GB? I can't remember it being there before 20Hi 2004 install....
  8. How can I rename the user folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I rename the user folder?: submitted by /u/AarooNHuN [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f4q517/how_can_i_rename_the_user_folder/
  9. Hidden content in folder user

Hidden content in folder user: The folder C:/users/thyge has grown to 54GB _ something is hidden, but what and how can I get to it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hidden-content-in-folder-user/e1d91669-ac87-4fda-b2ab-b237d4b782e8"
  10. How can I view all folders' contents in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I view all folders' contents in File Explorer?: In file explorer where I see my Documents and folders, how do I get a view in which I can see not only a folder, but the folder contents? On a Mac, I forget what they called that view, but you could click on the folder, and see the contents in the column next to that....