Windows 10: How can I backup a disk with a live boot of linux?

Discus and support How can I backup a disk with a live boot of linux? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm pretty sure I'd done this maybe 15 years ago but I'd forgotten how to do it. I have an external hard drive which was reading, kinda spotty, when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by JOSHSKORN, Oct 11, 2020.

1. JOSHSKORN Win User

How can I backup a disk with a live boot of linux?

I'm pretty sure I'd done this maybe 15 years ago but I'd forgotten how to do it. I have an external hard drive which was reading, kinda spotty, when connected, it would drop in and out. So, I took it out of the enclosure. Before that, though my drive fell on the ground, then was ticking. I actually confirmed this was happening before removing the HDD from the enclosure. In either case, the drive will turn on, tick and then go silent. Additionally, it'll freeze Explorer and now not show the drive letter.

My idea was to try booting into a Linux Live USB and attempting to recover the data that way, as I've heard Linux is more forgiving in reading drives.

What do I do to get the ball rolling, in creating a live USB from Windows 10? Furthermore, I'm not really sure what commands to use, if I get lucky and my drive is readable in Linux. Any help or site references would be greatly appreciated.

:)

JOSHSKORN, Oct 11, 2020
  2. Nick89 Win User

Linux boot disk?

Unfortunately no, I was going to get a new drive as my second plan.

I really dont think its the drive though.

Also I have no experience with linux or any linux distro... is it hard to use? and what is the best distro to use for a live boot disk?

Nick89, Oct 11, 2020
  3. Easiest Linux distribution to boot into

Hirens boot disk
    Has mini XP live and a linux live edition program
    + lots of recovery Tools

dorsetknob, Oct 11, 2020
  4. geotso Win User

Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

geotso, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I backup a disk with a live boot of linux? - Similar Threads - backup disk live

2. Usb not Formatting After Live Booting Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb not Formatting After Live Booting Linux: installed a Linux live boot on my USB drive. After I finished using it, I booted back into Windows 10 To format the USB drive to try another operating system. I used DiskPart for this, but I encountered an error that I haven't been able to resolveif the image dose not Load...
  3. Usb not Formatting After Live Booting Linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb not Formatting After Live Booting Linux: installed a Linux live boot on my USB drive. After I finished using it, I booted back into Windows 10 To format the USB drive to try another operating system. I used DiskPart for this, but I encountered an error that I haven't been able to resolveif the image dose not Load...
  4. Usb not Formatting After Live Booting Linux

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How can i dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Fedora?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Fedora?: Hi! i recently wanted to install Linux Fedora in my pc and i want to dual boot it with my windows 10, how can i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-dual-boot-windows-10-and-linux-fedora/8c21ec6b-17ff-4f4c-a4dd-432ecccb6c4c
  6. How can i dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Fedora?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Fedora?: Hi! i recently wanted to install Linux Fedora in my pc and i want to dual boot it with my windows 10, how can i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-dual-boot-windows-10-and-linux-fedora/8c21ec6b-17ff-4f4c-a4dd-432ecccb6c4c
  7. How can i dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Fedora?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Disk check on startup with dual-boot to Linux

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk check on startup with dual-boot to Linux: Is it normal for Windows to show a disk checking prompt on startup with two operating systems installed on the same drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-check-on-startup-with-dual-boot-to-linux/d2db2b1f-5216-40ea-bd13-bf035b234df6
  9. How can I make a disk image backup?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I make a disk image backup?: How can I make a disk image backup in WINDOWS 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-make-a-disk-image-backup/6941df78-1339-4c8e-a894-b1d40106b24e
  10. Backup boot disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup boot disk: I just downloaded MediaCreateTool64.exe To create a Windows 10 USB startup disk. Everything seemed to work properly. I wrote down the Product key as suggested. But when I restarted my computer, with the startup USB in there, it just rebooted normally. It never...