Windows 10: How can I backup my data from my old computer

Discus and support How can I backup my data from my old computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an old computer runs with windows and I need to backup the data to another tower that has a motherboard. How can I do it? I am doing it to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MelanieM3, Feb 18, 2020.

1. MelanieM3 Win User

How can I backup my data from my old computer

I have an old computer runs with windows and I need to backup the data to another tower that has a motherboard. How can I do it? I am doing it to be able to reset the administrator password. Thank you.

:)

MelanieM3, Feb 18, 2020

2. Data Backup

RAID is so often misunderstood. It offers only the following:

1./ Faster disk system, and/or
    2./ Additional "redundant" HDDs, so if one HDD fails, a copy of the data is still there. The RAID system automatically recovers.

As Dan said, that is a live copy, NOT BACKUP. If you delete or overwrite a file it's GONE! If the server catches fire, has a brown out, or is stolen, the data is GONE!

You need a physically seperate backup system.

The simplest system is a NAS (basically a cut down server that only does filesharing). You then run a backup overnight when the network isnt busy.

Alternatively, use a USB or Firewire 1TB HDD and connect it to the server and run a backup of key folders.

**NOTE**
    Do read up on good backup practice. It is a good idea to use grandfathering techniques, and for most people, NOT to backup every night, but once or week. Reason: your *new* backup overwrites an old backup. But only after the backup, you realise you need to recover from the old backup. Data lost, unless you grandfather.

It is more likely that a user error will mean that you need to go back to the archive to recover files, than due to hardware failure. Therefore, plan your backup strategy accordingly.

lemonadesoda, Feb 18, 2020
  3. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

How can I backup my data from my old computer partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Feb 18, 2020
  4. arens Win User

[WPSL] Backup app data

Hi All,

I have a Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight app in the store for quite some time now. I recently noticed that the automatic backup for my app doesn't work.

• The app is listed in my phones (W10M) backup options and automatic backup is enabled
    • Disable automatic backup is not checked in the WMAppManifest.xml
    • Setting "Windows can include this product’s data in automatic backups to OneDrive." in the Dev Center is checked
    • All of the apps data is written to Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.LocalFolder
    • Using ISETool I'm able to get all the data
    What am I possibly missing here?

Note: This question was posted in the MSDN forums before but MSFT suggested to post this here:

MSDN forum article

Regards,

Stephan

arens, Feb 18, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I backup my data from my old computer - Similar Threads - backup data old

2. How can i create a new user on my computer but keep my data from my old user?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i create a new user on my computer but keep my data from my old user?: So i’ve been using my moms microsoft account on my computer for the last 5 years since she’s never had a computer, and i have a lot of files/data on there. Recently she’s been needing to use that same microsoft user on a new computer. My question is since it’s on the same...
  3. How can i create a new user on my computer but keep my data from my old user?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i create a new user on my computer but keep my data from my old user?: So i’ve been using my moms microsoft account on my computer for the last 5 years since she’s never had a computer, and i have a lot of files/data on there. Recently she’s been needing to use that same microsoft user on a new computer. My question is since it’s on the same...
  4. How can i delete an old school account from my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i delete an old school account from my computer?: Hey!I want to delete this top user-email. It is an old email from my old school which access has been terminated/blocked. Whenever I press 'remove' on my personal account, it has no problem whatsoever deleting it. The problem is that there is no such button for the school...
  5. How can i delete an old school account from my computer?

How can i delete an old school account from my computer?: Hey!I want to delete this top user-email. It is an old email from my old school which access has been terminated/blocked. Whenever I press 'remove' on my personal account, it has no problem whatsoever deleting it. The problem is that there is no such button for the school...
  6. My new computer appears to have data files from my old computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My new computer appears to have data files from my old computers: I have a new laptop. I expected that the only data files I would be able to see are those that are on OneDrive. But my Desktop contains dudd icons leading to programs which I have not installed, and I appear to have hundreds of data files from my old computers. I was...
  7. how can I backup data from my computer to another computer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how can I backup data from my computer to another computer?: I have a Toshiba satellite e45-b4200 with intel core i5 working on Windows 10. --- My laptop updated on the night of May 18, then when I started having issues which can be read here. Currently, I believe my computer is probably not working with Windows 10 than being a hard...
  8. How can I tell how old my computer is?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I tell how old my computer is?: I think it is time to get a new computer. How can I tell how old my computer is? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-tell-how-old-my-computer-is/5600d3d4-93a5-4160-89a8-fd57e4289a59
  9. Can I retrieve data from old computer Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I retrieve data from old computer Hard Drive?: My older laptop can not start therefore I thought by using News laptop with Windows 10 if, I can retrieve data from older Hard Drive? Before doing that I want to ask: 1. Is it safe to retrieve data from old computer Hard Drive? 2. To use older Hard Drive I got to buy Hard...
  10. Demonstrate how I can backup files on my Computer

Demonstrate how I can backup files on my Computer: Fills for Backup on this computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/demonstrate-how-i-can-backup-files-on-my-computer/73689d31-2f7f-4d0e-b170-1c19398ac93b