Windows 10: How can I backup/restore the system tray layout?

Discus and support How can I backup/restore the system tray layout? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Dell Latitude 7490 laptop which is normally connected to a docking station using USB-C. The docking station is connected to two monitors which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Brundle, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Brundle Win User

How can I backup/restore the system tray layout?

I have a Dell Latitude 7490 laptop which is normally connected to a docking station using USB-C. The docking station is connected to two monitors which each run a resolution of 1920x1200. The built-in monitor runs 1920x1080, but I don't use it when connected to the dock (lid is closed).

I have the the task bar set up "Vista style" with the quick launch tool bar, buttons with text and the clock in the system tray displayed on one line (no date showing). This works fine both when using my external monitors and when using the built-in monitor and no external monitors. The problem occurs when I start my computer and use the built in, then plug into the docking station to keep working on the externals, now my taskbar is wide, the clock is displaying on two lines, with the date on the first line and time on the second. I need to log out of
    Windows and back in in order for the taskbar/tray to look right again.

I have tried restarting explorer.exe, but that in itself does not work, a complete logoff/logon is required.

Is there a way to backup the settings when the setup is to my liking and so I could just import a .reg file to get it back? Or, are there other, better solutions to this problem? I'm attaching two images in case my description was not sufficiently clear. Any help appreciated!

Bad:

How can I backup/restore the system tray layout? [​IMG]

Good:

How can I backup/restore the system tray layout? [​IMG]

:)

Brundle, Sep 2, 2019
  2. AlphaUMi Win User

Icons Layout Backup

Hi! I wonder if there is a way or a program that allows to save the desktop icons positions and layout. I don't mean that I have an issue with icons not preserving their position after a reboot, I mean I would like to have a backup in order to restore my layout quickly, for example after restoring the icon cache ecc...

I remember that, in the XP times, there was a dll (well, two: one for saving and one for restoring). Any suggestion? How can I backup/restore the system tray layout? :)

AlphaUMi, Sep 2, 2019
  3. Tom Kunzo Win User
    System Restore & Backup For Windows10

What I mean is that in Windows7 there is a facility for auto-backup at certain dates (especially when Windows performs an update) from where one can restore the system to an earlier and trouble free state.

I noticed that there is no such auto system in Windows10.

Thank you.

Regards,

Tom Kunzo, Sep 2, 2019
  4. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Sep 2, 2019
Thema:

1. How can I backup/restore the system tray layout? - Similar Threads - backup restore system

2. How can I lookup one of my files in backup without restoring the system?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I lookup one of my files in backup without restoring the system?: Windows 11 offers as the sole alternative to view my files in backup if I restore the system to that backup. I don't want this because I made several changes in my system after the backup I am interested in. But I need to retrieve one of my personal files that was lost. The...
  3. How can I lookup one of my files in backup without restoring the system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I lookup one of my files in backup without restoring the system?: Windows 11 offers as the sole alternative to view my files in backup if I restore the system to that backup. I don't want this because I made several changes in my system after the backup I am interested in. But I need to retrieve one of my personal files that was lost. The...
  4. How can i hide a specific program in the system tray

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can i hide a specific program in the system tray: Hi , so i want to hide a specific program in the system tray [ATTACH] can anyone help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-hide-a-specific-program-in-the-system/f7f09999-9397-44e8-b1d0-792a49d3721b
  5. How to backup full system so it can be restored easily

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to backup full system so it can be restored easily: Hi, I am looking for a backup solution that can backup everything on my machines to a NAS and if anything goes wrong can copy the latest backup on a new PC without having to install windows, programs, do settings and all that stuff. What can you recommend? :) More detailed:...
  6. how can i display the date in the system tray

in Windows 10 Customization
    how can i display the date in the system tray: how can I display the date as well as time in the system tray? How can I change the format which is displayed? Currently the time is displayed in 24 hour format military time....
  7. How can I change restore point in system restore?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I change restore point in system restore?: In system restore I have tried the displayed "automatic restore point" twice with no success. How do I select a different restore point?...
  8. How to restore system image backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to restore system image backup: Hi guys, i made a system image backup of the window 10 running on my toshiba laptop via control panel on a external harddrive. And i am trying to restore it by going to window recovery, then system image recovery in advanced options. But the problem i am facing it that when i...
  9. How can I backup the whole system?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How can I backup the whole system?: Hello, Long story short I just got myself a brand new Laptop that comes with Windows 10 64-bit pre-installed, however, I don't wish to use Windows 10 and would like to know how can I back up the whole system, installed files, everything! etc... In case I don't want it...
  10. Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10 The Live Folders. This can be handy if you do not want to have to setup your Start menu layout from scratch again. Say after a clean install of Windows 10....