Windows 10: How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing

Discus and support How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/_Kristian_ [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/_Kristian_, Apr 13, 2021.

1. How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing

/u/_Kristian_, Apr 13, 2021

2. Changing the drive that my Local Disk (CHow can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing :) is on. Or uninstalling windows to reinstall to the correct drive.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

As I can see from the above screenshot you have 1.8 GB of space Unallocated. I suggest you to extend the shrink volume back to C: drive by following the below steps.

• Go to disk management, press Windows key + R and type
      diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • From this page right click on C: drive
      and click on Extend Volume.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions by selecting unallocated space.

Now you will get total amount of space in C: drive.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Apr 13, 2021
  3. C: drive not on on disk 0 but on DIsk 2..Is that a problem?

Pretty sure the drive order is down to the SATA/ AHCI driver while in Windows regardless of BIOS/UEFI reporting (and at least on UEFI systems), my drive order was similar to yours, SSD was disk 0, HDD was disk 1, NVME was disk 3 (with Windows, and as boot drive), but installing the Intel RST driver for SATA/AHCI controller and the Intel NVME driver the order changed to reflect the physical order of disk connections.
    So now it looks like this;

How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing [​IMG]

This is also reflected in Diskpart (run in admin command);

How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing [​IMG]

Currently my USB boot disks are being re-written so unsure how the drive order would appear listed from outside windows.

Pejole2165, Apr 13, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing

GPT disk conversion for both data drives and C drive

Macrium Rescue disk can be used to convert from MBR to GPT and vice versa without doing a fresh install of Windows.

1. Download Rescue6.1.1081X64.iso - Google Drive and use Rufus to create a bootable USB disk. Skip this step if you've already created the Macrium Rescue disk.
    2. Download: BootEFI_Only-00-00.zip - Google Drive . Unzip to an external or an internal HD
      NOTE:
      This is a copy of the first 3 partitions of my current Windows 10 x64 (450MB Recovery, 100MB EFI and 16MB MSR)
    3. Boot up Macrium Rescue disk and create a backup of your current Windows to another internal/external HD. It serves 2 purposes: you'd have a backup of your current Windows in case things go wrong and then use it to restore the C drive on the next steps.
    4. Next, switch the BIOS to UEFI and use Macrium to restore the first 3 partitions downloaded in step 2 to your current MBR Windows. No need to convert or Format, Macrium will do it.
    5. Again with Macrium, select the backup image from step 3, and copy back the C drive after the 3 partitions.
      After this step, you should have: 450MB, 100MB, 16MB and C drive (GPT partition scheme)
    6. From Macrium, click on Fix the Windows Boot Problems
    7. Reboot. Your Windows should be in UEFI mode.

topgundcp, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing

1. How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing - Similar Threads - change disk order

2. My C: drive is filling up for no reason

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My C: drive is filling up for no reason: A few days ago I had over 170 GB free space on my C: drive, and yesterday when I checked I only had 50 GB free space. I checked the Apps & Features, uninstalled all the apps I don't need, I also went Settings > System > Storage and checked for what fills up the most storage,...
  3. sfc or chkdsk - which should be first in order of maintenance?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc or chkdsk - which should be first in order of maintenance?: Every week I run standard maintenance procedures. First, I run a chkdsk and then reboot to complete the process. Then, I use sfc /scannow to verify the system files When required, I use DISM to repair. Since the DOS days, chkdsk was the utility for disk and file allocation...
  4. How can I change which drive the roaming folder is on?

How can I change which drive the roaming folder is on?: My laptop has two drives C: & D:, the C: drive has a lot less storage than the D: drive, and is nearly full because of the roaming folder. How can I change it so the roaming folder and everything inside of it existing and new will be stored on the D: drive?...
  5. how can i extend my c drive ?

how can i extend my c drive ?: i want to extend my c drive storage , it is full now and im not able to install or download any more files in c dive ? NEED HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-extend-my-c-drive/bbb1f2d4-c8f5-450f-ae4e-462a998bf02f
  6. How can i change my new SSD into the C drive?

How can i change my new SSD into the C drive?: I recently bought a SSD for my computer and migrated the OS to it from the old HDD. I looked up how to change the letter for the drives as well but i can not seem to get the new SSD to be labeled as the C drive. I was wondering how do i make it so that SSD becomes the C drive...
  7. My C Drive keeps filling for no reason...

My C Drive keeps filling for no reason...: Hi all, Since I did the most recent windows 10 update my C drive has been filling for no reason at all that I Can find. Ive looked through hidden and protected files and highlighted them all and they are using 100gb yet my 256gb ssd has 15gb free, this makes no sense to me....
  8. which folder can be deleted in c drive

which folder can be deleted in c drive: hi in my c drive their are three program files folders 1. program files {4,050 Files, 640 Folders, 1.57GB} 2. program files x86 {15,705 Files, 3,370 Folders, 4.43GB} 3. program data hidden folder {2,360 Files, 488 Folders, 1.41GB} pls let me know which folder i can...
  9. How can I create extra space Disk Space on my C Drive?

How can I create extra space Disk Space on my C Drive?: [ATTACH] I need extra Disk Space on my C Drive it is currently at 117 MB how can I increase it to 1 TB? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-create-extra-space-disk-space-on-my-c/1f4a723f-ee42-4e52-a28f-c346f6d03341"
  10. How can I merge my D: drive and my C: Drive?

How can I merge my D: drive and my C: Drive?: My D: drive has 900 GB available and my C: drive is out of space. I tried going into disk management and right clicking my C: drive, but the extend volume button is grayed out. My C: drive is in the disk 1 section while my D: drive is in the disk 0 section. Please help, my...