Windows 10: How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing

Discus and support How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/_Kristian_ [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/_Kristian_, Apr 13, 2021.

1. How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing

/u/_Kristian_, Apr 13, 2021

2. Changing the drive that my Local Disk (CHow can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing :) is on. Or uninstalling windows to reinstall to the correct drive.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

As I can see from the above screenshot you have 1.8 GB of space Unallocated. I suggest you to extend the shrink volume back to C: drive by following the below steps.

• Go to disk management, press Windows key + R and type
      diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • From this page right click on C: drive
      and click on Extend Volume.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions by selecting unallocated space.

Now you will get total amount of space in C: drive.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Apr 13, 2021
  3. C: drive not on on disk 0 but on DIsk 2..Is that a problem?

Pretty sure the drive order is down to the SATA/ AHCI driver while in Windows regardless of BIOS/UEFI reporting (and at least on UEFI systems), my drive order was similar to yours, SSD was disk 0, HDD was disk 1, NVME was disk 3 (with Windows, and as boot drive), but installing the Intel RST driver for SATA/AHCI controller and the Intel NVME driver the order changed to reflect the physical order of disk connections.
    So now it looks like this;

How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing [​IMG]

This is also reflected in Diskpart (run in admin command);

How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing [​IMG]

Currently my USB boot disks are being re-written so unsure how the drive order would appear listed from outside windows.

Pejole2165, Apr 13, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing

GPT disk conversion for both data drives and C drive

Macrium Rescue disk can be used to convert from MBR to GPT and vice versa without doing a fresh install of Windows.

1. Download Rescue6.1.1081X64.iso - Google Drive and use Rufus to create a bootable USB disk. Skip this step if you've already created the Macrium Rescue disk.
    2. Download: BootEFI_Only-00-00.zip - Google Drive . Unzip to an external or an internal HD
      NOTE:
      This is a copy of the first 3 partitions of my current Windows 10 x64 (450MB Recovery, 100MB EFI and 16MB MSR)
    3. Boot up Macrium Rescue disk and create a backup of your current Windows to another internal/external HD. It serves 2 purposes: you'd have a backup of your current Windows in case things go wrong and then use it to restore the C drive on the next steps.
    4. Next, switch the BIOS to UEFI and use Macrium to restore the first 3 partitions downloaded in step 2 to your current MBR Windows. No need to convert or Format, Macrium will do it.
    5. Again with Macrium, select the backup image from step 3, and copy back the C drive after the 3 partitions.
      After this step, you should have: 450MB, 100MB, 16MB and C drive (GPT partition scheme)
    6. From Macrium, click on Fix the Windows Boot Problems
    7. Reboot. Your Windows should be in UEFI mode.

topgundcp, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing

1. How can I change disk order? My C: drive is for someone reason not first which is confusing - Similar Threads - change disk order

2. How do I Locate which drive my OS is on, and change it to the C: drive if it's not on there...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I Locate which drive my OS is on, and change it to the C: drive if it's not on there...: recently reinstalled windows 11 to my Dell G5 15 laptop. It now uses almost 100% of my HDD, I already used chkdsk to try and resolve this issue. It also seems to have reassigned my D drive as my OS drive, and my C drive as my data drive. But for some reason still thinks the...
  3. How do I Locate which drive my OS is on, and change it to the C: drive if it's not on there...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I Locate which drive my OS is on, and change it to the C: drive if it's not on there...: recently reinstalled windows 11 to my Dell G5 15 laptop. It now uses almost 100% of my HDD, I already used chkdsk to try and resolve this issue. It also seems to have reassigned my D drive as my OS drive, and my C drive as my data drive. But for some reason still thinks the...
  4. C Disk is full with no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C Disk is full with no reason: C Drive is full with no reason, about 500mb remaining And when I click, the biggest app is 3.76 GB.Please help me to fix this.Windows 11 21H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-disk-is-full-with-no-reason/1bcdf132-e28d-4371-b676-f9271120d168
  5. C Disk is full with no reason

C Disk is full with no reason: C Drive is full with no reason, about 500mb remaining And when I click, the biggest app is 3.76 GB.Please help me to fix this.Windows 11 21H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-disk-is-full-with-no-reason/1bcdf132-e28d-4371-b676-f9271120d168
  6. How can I move my E drive to C drive? or combine Disk 0 and Disk 1

How can I move my E drive to C drive? or combine Disk 0 and Disk 1: Hi, I'm having an issue where I can't move the E drive adjacent to the C drive. I have a M.2 ssd Samsung 970 EVO and just got a WD Blue SSD Sata as an additional storage. I wanted the additional storage to be combined with the C drive but I won't let me. I tried using AOMEI...
  7. how to extend data in C drive which is in disk 1 , from D drive which is in disk 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to extend data in C drive which is in disk 1 , from D drive which is in disk 0: hi there, my problem is that I have 2 disks, disk 0 and disk 1... My local disk C drive is in disk 1 while my D drive is in disk 0,, I have shrunk some volume from my d drive which is in disk 0 and I wanna use that unallocated volume to extend my C drive which is in disk 1 so...
  8. how to extend data in C drive which is in disk 1 , from D drive which is in disk 0

how to extend data in C drive which is in disk 1 , from D drive which is in disk 0: hi there, my problem is that I have 2 disks, disk 0 and disk 1... My local disk C drive is in disk 1 while my D drive is in disk 0,, I have shrunk some volume from my d drive which is in disk 0 and I wanna use that unallocated volume to extend my C drive which is in disk 1 so...
  9. How can I change which drive the roaming folder is on?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I change which drive the roaming folder is on?: My laptop has two drives C: & D:, the C: drive has a lot less storage than the D: drive, and is nearly full because of the roaming folder. How can I change it so the roaming folder and everything inside of it existing and new will be stored on the D: drive?...
  10. How can i change my new SSD into the C drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can i change my new SSD into the C drive?: I recently bought a SSD for my computer and migrated the OS to it from the old HDD. I looked up how to change the letter for the drives as well but i can not seem to get the new SSD to be labeled as the C drive. I was wondering how do i make it so that SSD becomes the C drive...