Windows 10: How can I change mouse pointer schemes from the command line?

Discus and support How can I change mouse pointer schemes from the command line? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The default mouse pointer scheme is just to darn small in Windows 10, at least on my Dell Inspiron. So I change it via the control panel, but some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SOHO1, Jan 13, 2017.

1. SOHO1 Win User

How can I change mouse pointer schemes from the command line?

The default mouse pointer scheme is just to darn small in Windows 10, at least on my Dell Inspiron. So I change it via the control panel, but some games won't work when the scheme is changed, so I'd like to be able to switch back and forth from the command line and create a script for switching and running games.

:)

SOHO1, Jan 13, 2017
  2. Arul_D Win User

my cursor's busy icon has changed without my notice

Hi Jathin,

The mouse pointer icon indicating “busy” or “loading” status in your computer has been changed from Default to “hour glass” and you would like to have the default icon back for the mouse pointer. I can definitely help you with
    this. Before I provide you the instructions to change the mouse pointer icon, I would like to know a few details about this issue.

1. How did the mouse pointer icon change?

2. Was it changed automatically or did you manually change it from “Mouse properties” in Control Panel?

We can change and customize the mouse pointer icon from “Mouse Properties” in Control Panel. You may follow these steps and check if that helps.

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard and select “Control Panel” from the list.

b) Change the “View by” option from “Category” view to “Large icon” view.

c) Click on “Mouse” to open “Mouse Properties” window.

d) In the “Mouse Properties” window, click on “Pointer” tab.

e) Change the current scheme to “Windows Default (system Scheme)” by selecting it from the scheme drop down menu.

f) Now check if you have the default one to indicate “Busy” status under “Customize”.

g) Click on “Apply” and then “Ok”.

You may now check the mouse pointer icon.

Hope this is helpful. If the issue persists, please do get back to us with all the additional information. We’ll be glad to assist you further.

Arul_D, Jan 13, 2017
  3. mykoza Win User
    Revert mouse pointer scheme after Ease of Access change

Hello,

Recently I installed Windows 10. I was walking through settings and by my curiosity I entered Ease of Access options. In mouse section I changed pointer appearance. Unfortunately it changed mouse pointer scheme to XP look. When I open "Mouse Properties"
    in Control Panel, "Pointer tab", I have to select "Windows Default (system scheme)" to get Aero look, because "(None)" option from schemes list changes it to XP style pointer.

Now my question is, if there is a way to revert "(None)" option to Aero, so I don't need to choose "Windows Default"?

Best regards

mykoza, Jan 13, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 13, 2017
  5. SOHO1 Win User
    Brilliant! Cheers!

I wonder what i searched for that didn't show that as a search result. Ah well, never said my brain worked like others, or even that it works at all. *Wink

OK, I have my reg files for each mode that I want to run and of course I can run regedit from the command line to install them.

However, the changes do not seem to go info effect. A bit of research suggests that I need a tool to disable and re-enable the mouse device. Such a tool, called DEVCON, is part of the Windows SDK. Looking for that and downloading next to try out.

SOHO1, Jan 13, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Other than something like that, you could sign out/in or restart to apply.

Brink, Jan 13, 2017
  7. SOHO1 Win User
    Yes, but in addition to rarely signing out, I rarely reboot, at least as rarely as possible, and windows 10, unlike 7, has taught me great fear of rebooting (see also: various posts about boot problems, many of which seem to have been solved by this thing I found called TWEAK.com). Besides all that, it's a machine, I should be able to push a button (or enter command) and just have it do things. I guess I'm willing to endure the pain of setup once now so that I don't have to bear it 1000 times over the next year.

PS
    Found the WDK at
    So...
    That link downloads a thing to download the WDK in which you can find the devcon tool when you are done in:
    • C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64
    BUT...
    whilst true that it restarts or disables/enables devices, Windows does NOT apply the current mouse profile (if changed via the registry.)

There is something the Control > Mouse program does that is more than all this.

SOHO1, Jan 13, 2017
  8. SOHO1 Win User

Guess I'll just reboot or better yet, invoke the command.exe from the script each time.

SOHO1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I change mouse pointer schemes from the command line? - Similar Threads - change mouse pointer

2. How to change mouse cursor scheme through command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change mouse cursor scheme through command prompt: Hey,I would like to change my mouse cursor scheme on a work computer which doesn't have administrator permissions as per the organizations settings, but every time I open something like Microsoft Paint, or even just randomly, the mouse cursor will change from my custom scheme...
  3. How to change mouse cursor scheme through command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change mouse cursor scheme through command prompt: Hey,I would like to change my mouse cursor scheme on a work computer which doesn't have administrator permissions as per the organizations settings, but every time I open something like Microsoft Paint, or even just randomly, the mouse cursor will change from my custom scheme...
  4. How to change mouse cursor scheme through command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How can I change the default sleep timeout from command line?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I change the default sleep timeout from command line?: When I configure a Virtual Machine, I run a script that I have created that sets all sorts of settings within Windows to my personal preferences. By default, Windows configures itself to go to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity. I like to disable this by setting the...
  6. How to change Mouse pointer and cursor size, color & scheme on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Mouse pointer and cursor size, color & scheme on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The mouse pointer and cursor in Windows 10 are very important aspects of the operating system. This can be said for other operating systems as well, so in truth, they are not unique to Windows. Many users of the popular [...] This post How to change Mouse...
  7. Mouse pointer 'None' scheme not working

Mouse pointer 'None' scheme not working: I prefer the 'None' pointer scheme, but after the latest version update I can't reset it The scheme looks like this: [ATTACH] Hitting 'Apply' doesn't actually change it. My mouse is stuck with the Windows default scheme. Any other scheme like Inverse or Magnified works just...
  8. Mouse pointer schemes not sticking in Windows 1809

Mouse pointer schemes not sticking in Windows 1809: I've set my mouse scheme to standard/classic in mouse settings and have also modified the reg key to prevent theme changes (Allow or Prevent Themes to Change Mouse Pointers in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials) but still I'm getting the default spinning blue loading wheel...
  9. Mouse pointer schemes.

Mouse pointer schemes.: I am trying to use the Windows standard mouse pointer scheme but it keeps getting reset to the Windows default scheme at random. *Huh [img] 110011
  10. Problems with mouse pointer scheme

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with mouse pointer scheme: I recently upgraded to windows 10 which went well except my pointer "hid" behind popups. Everything worked, if my pointer went over a selection it would highlight the selection and I could select with no problem, I just couldn't see my pointer. I was using a custom pointer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change mouse cursor command

2. change mouse pointer command line

3. windows 10 change mouse pointer scheme command line