Windows 10: How can I change my default settings for opening documents

Discus and support How can I change my default settings for opening documents in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How can I set my default to open office and not Word?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KenHebel, Apr 28, 2021.

1. KenHebel Win User

How can I change my default settings for opening documents

How can I set my default to open office and not Word?

:)

KenHebel, Apr 28, 2021

2. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Apr 28, 2021
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Apr 28, 2021
  4. How can I change my default settings for opening documents

Can't change default program to open files.

Hi,

I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight.

I already tried:

• right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you double click a dwg file.
    • settings > apps > default apps > choose default apps by file type. This also does not change the default method to Draftsight.

When I type assoc .dwg in command prompt, it shows ".dwg=DraftSight.Drawing"

I see some suggestions to try using the old interface through control panel, but it seems like control panel routes to the new interface.

I also tried changing the association for .txt files from notepad to notepad++ and it doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

petersteele, Apr 28, 2021
Thema:

How can I change my default settings for opening documents

1. How can I change my default settings for opening documents - Similar Threads - change default settings

2. how can i open documents on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i open documents on my desktop?: Most of the documents on my desktop now have a small file box on them and I can't open any of them. It's like if they were frozen. Anyone know how to fix it? I have a feeling it has something to do with my onedrive....
  3. how can i open documents on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i open documents on my desktop?: Most of the documents on my desktop now have a small file box on them and I can't open any of them. It's like if they were frozen. Anyone know how to fix it? I have a feeling it has something to do with my onedrive....
  4. I can;t change my monitor DEFAULT settings to speakers DEFAULT.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can;t change my monitor DEFAULT settings to speakers DEFAULT.: I can't change my sound settings from MONITOR which is on DEFAULT, to SPEAKERS, and it keeps showing me that my SPEAKERS and ear-phones are unplugged....
  5. How can I change my documents to PDF

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change my documents to PDF: How can I change my documents to PDF https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-my-documents-to-pdf/c9b19bcf-3bb1-4c2a-be02-b6ec92af0c1f
  6. How can I change my documents to PDF

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I change my documents to PDF: How can I change my documents to PDF https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-my-documents-to-pdf/c9b19bcf-3bb1-4c2a-be02-b6ec92af0c1f
  7. How can I change my documents to PDF

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. How do I change Word being the default to open my documents, to Wordpad?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change Word being the default to open my documents, to Wordpad?: I don't like using word to open documents I've made on wordpad. How can I make it so the next time I open a document, it leads me to Wordpad instead of Word? submitted by /u/Stock-Performance129 [link] [comments]...
  9. default setting change for Microsoft Windows 10 documents. How do I change the default...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default setting change for Microsoft Windows 10 documents. How do I change the default...: Easy fix automatic would NOT change my word documents files ACCIDENTALLY converted to Internet Explorer file in Windows 10. I cannot open the Windows 10 documents saved in Internet Explorer 10 on my PC Desktop Suggestions?.. beyond Microsoft's suggestions?...
  10. How can I change my display back to default settings?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change my display back to default settings?: How do I change my display back to the default settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/how-can-i-change-my-display-back-to-default/94b1b49f-80bb-4056-8edf-96fe21763367