Windows 10: How can I change my laptops function keys?

Discus and support How can I change my laptops function keys? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So my laptop has those keys that let you change the brightness and the volume, they share spot the function keys, F1, F2, etc.The problem is that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DanielLópez-Moya, Jul 23, 2021.

1. How can I change my laptops function keys?

So my laptop has those keys that let you change the brightness and the volume, they share spot the function keys, F1, F2, etc.The problem is that the key that is also F1 makes my laptop suspend itself, and the F2 turns on airplane mode and I repeatedly accidentally press these keys since the keyboard is pretty cramped. Is there any way for the presets to be the function keys ? so that I have to press the Fn button if I want to change the brightness/ volume?

:)

DanielLópez-Moya, Jul 23, 2021

2. alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Jul 23, 2021
  3. Function Keys Not Working

Hello Celery,

Thank you for posting your query.

We certainly want this taken care of. To further assist you with your query, provide us the information below so we can provide an accurate steps to resolve this.

• Since when the issue started?
    • Where there any changes made prior to the issue?
    • Are you using a Microsoft keyboard?

Meanwhile, laptops have a key that determines whether the top row of keys act as function keys or the normal top row of a
    QWERTY keyboard. Check the "F Lock" button to the right of the
    F12 button, make sure that hasn't been toggled.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Haidae Tam, Jul 23, 2021
  4. How can I change my laptops function keys?

Function Key Not Working

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the F key on your device. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Form when are you facing this issue and have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you performed?

If you are using external keyboard, I suggest you to connect the keyboard to different port and to different computer and check if it is working fine.

This will help us to know if the issue is with port/ computer the keyboard is connected to or the keyboard it self.

If you are using laptop keyboard, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter it
    checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: Update the keyboard drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right click on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Update driver software
    • Restart the computer.

Hope it helps. Try the above and het back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 23, 2021
Thema:

How can I change my laptops function keys?

1. How can I change my laptops function keys? - Similar Threads - change laptops function

2. How do I disable function keys on my ASUS laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable function keys on my ASUS laptop?: could you please help me? In my Asus if I press fn+ F1 to F12, I modify volume light ecc.., but this configuration make my work on excel a nightmare. could you please help me to disable this fn configuration?...
  3. How do I disable function keys on my ASUS laptop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I disable function keys on my ASUS laptop?: could you please help me? In my Asus if I press fn+ F1 to F12, I modify volume light ecc.., but this configuration make my work on excel a nightmare. could you please help me to disable this fn configuration?...
  4. How do I disable function keys on my ASUS laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I disable function keys on my ASUS laptop?: hello, can I ask how do I disable function keys on my ASUS laptop without cortana with windows 11?thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-function-keys-on-my-asus-laptop/feb52cd2-528c-4e63-b857-a920b8cf361d
  5. How/can you change how the function keys work and what they do on ASUS laptops on Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How/can you change how the function keys work and what they do on ASUS laptops on Windows...: I would like to switch out a couple of the shortcuts. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/howcan-you-change-how-the-function-keys-work-and/7ffac4ac-ef72-4158-b78c-a7dde56f55f2
  6. How can I get a function key lock for my pc?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I get a function key lock for my pc?: I can't seem to find a straight answer to this, so I guess I'll ask. My keyboard has the volume and some other keys on the function keys, but the default use is the function keys. Is there a way to make it so I can lock the function key so I don't have to hit function to...
  7. Change function keys?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change function keys?: What would be the best way about doing this? I want to change my function keys so when I press F1 it would register as windows+G to open game bar or F2 for game bar to take a screen shot or F3 to record video. I do use some function keys but other then F11 I never use these...
  8. Changing Key Function on HP Laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Key Function on HP Laptop: Somehow (%!**) the key for the @ sign on my HP laptop has shifted from the correct location to another key. Can anyong help me get it back to where it should be (i.e. on the '2' key? Thanks...
  9. how to change function keys?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to change function keys?: I just bought a new asus laptop and would like to change how the function keys work. I don't wanna have to press Fn+ f11 to increase the sound. I want to just press f11. How do I go about this?...
  10. How do I change the function key setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I change the function key setting: How do I change the function keys on my HP Envy Laptop - Windows 10, so that I do not have to hit fn key each time I wish to use the F2, F3, or F4...functions. Currently, the keyboard is setup to adjust brightness, volume, sound etc. Any suggestions would be helpful....