Windows 10: How can I change my windows 10 pro log in name and users folder name ?

Discus and support How can I change my windows 10 pro log in name and users folder name ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When the windows is loading up after restarting the pc and I need to type my pin number to log in above it the name of the pc is my email [email... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chocolade, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Chocolade Win User

How can I change my windows 10 pro log in name and users folder name ?

When the windows is loading up after restarting the pc and I need to type my pin number to log in above it the name of the pc is my email [email protected]
    and in the C:\Users my user name folder is rhoda

How can I change my windows 10 pro log in name and users folder name ? c60e87a5-d522-44d4-a610-325261a73326?upload=true.jpg

I want to change rhoda to but when I click on rhoda it's making a short beep and if I make right click on it there is no rename option.

How can I change my windows 10 pro log in name and users folder name ? 057c0688-a742-4e75-8d37-fb29460a6b09?upload=true.jpg

I also tried to go to the control panel > user accounts > user accounts and selected there the only account there is my account type admin but also there there is no option/s to change the name :

How can I change my windows 10 pro log in name and users folder name ? ebedb657-68cd-4084-aa4c-ea48ffaf31e7?upload=true.jpg

What I want to do is to change the log in name when starting the pc and windows load in the pin screen to
    and also to change the name of the user in C:\Users from rhoda to

:)

Chocolade, Jul 5, 2020
  2. Ryan_2013 Win User

Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Jul 5, 2020
  3. How can I change the name of the user folder in Windows 10

I read somewhere that it is impossible to change the user folder name without re-installing the OS.

-> This is correct. The reason is simple: The registry contains countless references to the name of user profile. Some of them were created by Microsoft software, some by third-party software. If you changed the name
    of the profile folder (which is fairly easy) then these references would be invalid and your account would be crippled.

If I felt strongly about the name of my profile folder then I would do this:

• Create a spare admin account.
    • Reboot and log into this account.
    • Delete the problem account (but keep the user data!).
    • Create a new local account with the desired name.
    You will get a profile folder with the correct name. If desired then you can copy the personal files from the old to the new profile folder.

Frederik Long, Jul 5, 2020
  4. DSD
    DSD Win User

Need help with changing name of user profile folder

I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign out and back in again and it didn't work. I think the reason is because Windows created a TEMP user and would log me in under that so there would be a folder named C/User/TEMP and still the original named folder of C/User/myuserfolder.

I found this on the forums here: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

The instructions are very similar to what I have tried. In the above post John W used safe mode. Do I need to go through all the steps again as listed in the post and then go into safe mode, or can I just use safe mode to change the folder name?

Also, are there newer instructions for how to do this with updates to Windows since the above thread was posted over a year ago?

Thanks in advance.

Thema:

1. How can I change my windows 10 pro log in name and users folder name ? - Similar Threads - change pro log

2. How can I change my user profile folder name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I change my user profile folder name?: Just got a new HP laptop with Win 11 home pre-installed. Before I had a Surface Pro 4. I bought a Seagate 2 TB drive for backup and file transfer. My Surface user profile name was JoeM c:\users\JoeM. When I set up the new laptop, Windows automatically set my user profile name...
  3. How can I change my user profile folder name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change my user profile folder name?: Just got a new HP laptop with Win 11 home pre-installed. Before I had a Surface Pro 4. I bought a Seagate 2 TB drive for backup and file transfer. My Surface user profile name was JoeM c:\users\JoeM. When I set up the new laptop, Windows automatically set my user profile name...
  4. Can I change name of user folder,

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I change name of user folder,: When I installed windows I didn't want to create a microsoft account so instead I made one with my phone number, my User flmder is now just a bunch of numbers, I changed my username, that didn't change the folders name tho, can it be changed? submitted by /u/BLiIxy [link]...
  5. How can I change my windows 10 pro log in name and users folder name ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How can I change my windows 10 pro log in name and users folder name ?: When the windows is loading up after restarting the pc and I need to type my pin number to log in above it the name of the pc is my email [email protected] and in the C:\Users my user name folder is rhoda [ATTACH] I want to change rhoda to but when I click on rhoda it's...
  6. How can I change my windows 10 pro log in name and also the name of the user in C:\Users ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change my windows 10 pro log in name and also the name of the user in C:\Users ?: When the windows is loading up after restarting the pc and I need to type my pin number to log in above it the name of the pc is my email *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and in the C:\Users my user name folder is rhoda [ATTACH] I want to change rhoda to...
  7. How can i change folders name to extension names?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can i change folders name to extension names?: So i have a folder with over 300 files which have the wrong names but in each folder there are .mod files which are the correct names, changing them 1 by 1 takes way too long, so is there a way to rename them to the correct name in a bulk? submitted by /u/MK_Madness...
  8. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  9. How Can I Change User Account Folder Name?

How Can I Change User Account Folder Name?: I hate the name Windows choice for the folder, the path reads C:\Users\Name_ I substituted Name for the actual folder name....Windows decided to name the folder Name_ and I hate it, can I change it and how can I?...
  10. How can I change the name of my User folder?

How can I change the name of my User folder?: Usually, Windows gives me an option to name my account. In 10, it just uses a shortened name of my Microsoft Account username/email address. Is there a way to change it without messing up my system? Thanks. I did use the netplwiz run command to change the account name, but...