Windows 10: How can I change the default column widths for ALL windows explorer folders

Discus and support How can I change the default column widths for ALL windows explorer folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I know how to change the width, but my changes don't stick. The default in windows is 4 columns, and 2 of them truncate the data in them and need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChrisBaber, Apr 8, 2020.

1. How can I change the default column widths for ALL windows explorer folders

I know how to change the width, but my changes don't stick.

The default in windows is 4 columns, and 2 of them truncate the data in them and need to be widened to see the full name/data of these columns.

I have more than half of the width of this folder as unused, allowing me to more than double the width of each column and not have to scroll to see all columns.

I can't, for the life of me, understand why Microsoft thinks it's okay to truncate data when there is abundant room to not do so, but so be it.

There must be a way to change the default width of columns in windows explorer. Does anyone know what that method is?

Thanks

:)

ChrisBaber, Apr 8, 2020

2. With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

I have some files with very long names, and I always want to see the file extensions as well as the names. In the default Windows File Explorer, the first column listing the names of the files is too narrow for some of my file names with extensions. I
    can drag the right margin of the first column to the right and fix that, but the next time I open File Explorer, I have to do it again. I would like to set the column widths and have that be the default thereafter.

Lewis D. Eigen, Apr 8, 2020
  3. Column Width in List View in File Explorer

I went through all of the above steps, but sadly this doesn't work when viewing folders in *list* view. Any idea how to adjust the column widths there?

Up until a couple of months ago the column widths were always simply equal to the longest name in the column or the longest name in the folder. Now there is a couple of extra centimetres in there for no discernible reason.

RichLehmann, Apr 8, 2020
  4. How can I change the default column widths for ALL windows explorer folders

Change column width in a Win10 Explorer window

I have a folder with 100+ folders in it. After the update yesterday, the column widths have changed. Searching to fix the problem shows that the options for adjusting the column width have disappeared from the ribbon. I need to be able to adjust column
    widths in folders. Thanks.

Nantucketbob, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

How can I change the default column widths for ALL windows explorer folders

1. How can I change the default column widths for ALL windows explorer folders - Similar Threads - change default column

2. Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed?: I am on Windows 11, Version 22H2. I use File Explorer a lot, particularly for managing photos.Every time I open a File Explorer window for a different folder or directory, as I always knew them I have to right-click to get rid of "Type" which I don't need I can read file...
  3. Apply custom columns and widths to all folders in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Apply custom columns and widths to all folders in Windows 10 File Explorer: I would like file explorer in Windows 10 to have the following columns and corresponding widths: Name 300 pixelsSize 75 pixelsDate modified 130 pixelsType 130 pixels, as shown in the attached imageI can change a single folder's settings to those dimensions, but can't figure...
  4. Apply custom columns and widths to all folders in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apply custom columns and widths to all folders in Windows 10 File Explorer: I would like file explorer in Windows 10 to have the following columns and corresponding widths: Name 300 pixelsSize 75 pixelsDate modified 130 pixelsType 130 pixels, as shown in the attached imageI can change a single folder's settings to those dimensions, but can't figure...
  5. Apply custom columns and widths to all folders in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to change the Column Width size of File Explorer in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Column Width size of File Explorer in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Windows 11 rolled out for everyone, and it has surprised me a lot, to say the least. I am a big fan of the updated, more minimalistic design. The File Explorer received a revamp as well, with a mixed color scheme in place of an all-out white interface and a sleeker...
  7. Permanently Changing Column Width in Windows Explorer Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Permanently Changing Column Width in Windows Explorer Search: Hello, I'm a long time dweller and first time poster. I've recently run into an issue where my windows 10 doesn't seem to remember my default column width after each search. In other words, each time I open This PC icon, and type in the upper right hand corner to do a search...
  8. File Explorer Template Column Width

File Explorer Template Column Width: How do I change the Documents, Pictures, Music, and View templates? The existing templates are not particularly useful for those of us who use full-size monitors instead of cell phones. For example, the "Name" column in the Documents template is too narrow to be useful on...
  9. How to set a default column width in windows explorer?

How to set a default column width in windows explorer?: Every time I open a folder, the Name column is too narrow and all contents display as "Part of the filenam...". This means navigating through a directory I have to: open > resize > open > resize > open > resize...I would like to set a default column width that is large, say...
  10. Auto-Define Column Width Dynamically in File Explorer: Size all columns to fit (as a...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto-Define Column Width Dynamically in File Explorer: Size all columns to fit (as a...: Size all columns to fit (as a default view). I thought the former question asked was a fairly straight-forward question, especially since I typed the request into Google almost verbatim so of course a) the question was, indeed, straightforward; b) from the fact that there...