Windows 10: How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program?

Discus and support How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; [ATTACH] It would seem that I cannot change the default handler for magnet protocol despite already have installed FreeDownloadManager Yes, I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ahmadsyar, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Ahmadsyar Win User

How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program?

How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program? d5abde87-02c3-49e3-bcf9-fa0a86ab0ba3?upload=true.png

It would seem that I cannot change the default handler for magnet protocol despite already have installed FreeDownloadManager

Yes, I did reinstalled.

:)

Ahmadsyar, Jul 16, 2020
  2. madmax2 Win User

Stop windows store as default protocol handler on chrome

On chrome, I once clicked on remember my choice for this "link/filetype"
    e.g.

How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program? [​IMG]

Now when I go to a windows store site on google chrome
    e.g. The Dark Crystal - Microsoft Store
    It auto launches windows store app..

How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program? [​IMG]

When it launches, all my audio from other apps gets diverted to this app

I want to
    1. reset this protocol handler on chrome to stop it auto launching the windows store
    2. stop the windows store app from stealing the sound card audio

madmax2, Jul 16, 2020
  3. sambul72 Win User
    When trying to set Protocol Handler in Chrome, (for Bitcoin, Gmail, Etc) Windows gives me a dialog box that states "To change your default apps, go to Settings > System > Default Apps"

"I was able to do this by adding a Key to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT in the registry..."

And that's it? Would you share how exactly did you do it step-by-step? Show an example others can learn from, instead of following the same low standards you rejected above. How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program? :)

You asked a valid question: How a user can manually add a new protocol or protocol handler installed on a local PC to Win 10 Default Apps & Protocol Associations List? That would be needed, if the protocol handler is already installed or available,
    but the protocol or handler is not listed in Win 10 defaults. Were is your detail answer using BitCoin as a new protocol example? May be MS employees can provide it?

A few links I can suggest, though some info might have limited or no applicability to Win 10:

Registering a protocol handler in Windows 8

How to register a protocol for a .Net app under Windows 10?

Application Registration
    Installing
    and Registering Protocol Handlers

Restore Default File Associations in Win 8.1

Setting
    Default Program/Protocol Associations with DISM

Yet another simple approach that worked for me was uninstalling all desktop and modern apps handling a certain protocol as traced in Registry including the default app, and THEN reinstalling the app I wanted to handle that protocol
    by default instead. Thorough Registry cleanup may be done in-between.

sambul72, Jul 16, 2020
  4. 2635599 Win User

How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program?

Not able to change default app for Magnet links

good day i noticed since going to 10 that clicking on magnet links does not open bittorrent. i have rerun windows and still the same problem. in cyberfox i fixed it easily enough, but for chrome and torch no love. i found a couple of things about registry entries but they did not work. i try to assign bittorrent to magnet links in windows but i cannot choose a default app from the system, i only get what you see below which is to "look for an app in the store". there must be a way to fix this so i can pick an app already on my system. thanks in advance for any gelp with this.

2635599, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I change the default protocol handler for magnet links to non-app store program? - Similar Threads - change default protocol

2. How to set Windows Explorer as default app for FTP protocol / link type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set Windows Explorer as default app for FTP protocol / link type: I have FTP locations saved as network locations in my computer, FTP://iphere/5555 for various devices I have on my network that I occasionally use FTP for - raspberry pi's, SBCs, etc. I also had windows SFTP optional feature enabled and Enable FTP folder view set in internet...
  3. Can't change protocol association for magnet links to something else than Chrome

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change protocol association for magnet links to something else than Chrome: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Poilaucul [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jcm8u8/cant_change_protocol_association_for_magnet_links/
  4. Can't change magnet protocol URI program

Can't change magnet protocol URI program: When going to default programs for protocols, it has google chrome set as the default program for these links. I want the default to be my torrent program, but the only option available is google chrome. I've tried making an update here...
  5. Can't change magnet protocol URI program

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't change magnet protocol URI program: When going to default programs for protocols, it has google chrome set as the default program for these links. I want the default to be my torrent program, but the only option available is google chrome. I've tried making an update here...
  6. Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.: We use Bluebeam to open pdf files. The .pdf file is associated with this program, so if I double click on a .pdf file, it opens with this program. However: If I make hyperlinks in Excel to .pdf files, and I click on the hyperlink, it opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. If I...
  7. Win10: magnet uri protocol missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10: magnet uri protocol missing: In "Choose default apps by Protocol", there is no "Magnet" protocol, and no action is taken when "magnet:" URI is entered or linked in the browser. Description: qBittorrent had been the default application for Magnet URIs however due to the Torch browser's poor install...
  8. Stop windows store as default protocol handler on chrome

Stop windows store as default protocol handler on chrome: On chrome, I once clicked on remember my choice for this "link/filetype" e.g. [img] Now when I go to a windows store site on google chrome e.g. The Dark Crystal - Microsoft Store It auto launches windows store app.. [img] When it launches, all my...
  9. Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists

Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists: Hi guys, Does anyone have a Tutorial, link, or tested ideas on: 1. How to manually add a program to Default Programs List in Win 10, if it doesn't show up for a current user? I don't want to create a new user account for that even if its possible that way. 2. How to...
  10. Not able to change default app for Magnet links

Not able to change default app for Magnet links: good day i noticed since going to 10 that clicking on magnet links does not open bittorrent. i have rerun windows and still the same problem. in cyberfox i fixed it easily enough, but for chrome and torch no love. i found a couple of things about registry entries but they did...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 magnet links for chrome