Windows 10: How can I change the icon for an application in W10?

Discus and support How can I change the icon for an application in W10? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Let's start fresh. I now have a text editor I like but I can't seem to change it's icon. I try multiple searches in this forum using terms like change,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mustachio, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Mustachio Win User

How can I change the icon for an application in W10?

Let's start fresh. I now have a text editor I like but I can't seem to change it's icon. I try multiple searches in this forum using terms like change, application, icon and get zero results. Even though I can find a thread about doing so for an appl pinned to the taskbar. Just don't understand how queries come up empty nowadays.

Obviously I want to change the icon for all files. I just associated my .rtf files with Editpad lite. Very nice. And dalchina did some handholding with "see, the icon changed". But for the life of me I can't find how to change the file icon. Even did remote w/MS and they say you can't go there. Except for a Registry edit.

Windows 10, hmmpf.

If anyone would know of a way to change the icon, for any appl, so I can do so in the future, that would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Mac

:)

Mustachio, Aug 16, 2019
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Aug 16, 2019
  4. psbecker Win User

Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

1. How can I change the icon for an application in W10? - Similar Threads - change icon application

2. Is changing the icon of an application safe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is changing the icon of an application safe?: Hi, So recently I have been thinking about changing the default icon of the Minecraft Launcher application, but I'm not really sure if it can brick my computer or anything, should I do it and is it safe? I'm on Windows 10 just to be sure....
  3. How can I change desktop icons to black.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change desktop icons to black.: help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-desktop-icons-to-black/e20db909-adef-4dda-916c-799ca3bf4fe3
  4. How can I change the icons for the devices in the Network?

How can I change the icons for the devices in the Network?: I am familiar with changing folder and file icons. However, I can't find a way to change the icons that are seen when viewing the Network window. For example, I have a network storage device WDMyCloud. I have three of my PC's running Windows 10 Home showing the correct...
  5. How can I change the icon of a zipped folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I change the icon of a zipped folder?: When i go into properties of the zipped folder it doesn’t show customize menu to change the icon[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-the-icon-of-a-zipped-folder/c589e131-de01-42c9-857d-9d4f66b04c87
  6. How can I change the icon font colour?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I change the icon font colour?: I've just got a new background and its white which means I can't read the writing. Was wondering if I can change it. submitted by /u/foggyyyy0 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/exdgza/how_can_i_change_the_icon_font_colour/
  7. How can I change labels on taskbar icons?

How can I change labels on taskbar icons?: I am running several version of the same program. I would like to know if there is a way to label the icons in the taskbar so I can know which icon is associated with which version....
  8. How can i change this icon?

How can i change this icon?: I wanted to know if we can change this icon [img] to a HeadPhone or a Custom Icon when we plug a Something in the HeadPhone Jack. 124496
  9. how can I change the color of an application background?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can I change the color of an application background?: I need to change the gray background color in an application https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/how-can-i-change-the-color-of-an-application/a60150b7-2a41-48cd-b193-39fc7fbdf7f4
  10. Change icon of application (Almost there...)

Change icon of application (Almost there...): Hi everybody. Maybe someone can help me *Smile I'm trying to change the icon of an application to better suit the windows 10 look, the app is the Postbox email client. So far I used Resource Hacker and I almost did it, I changed the original icon, the shortcuts in the...