Windows 10: How can I change the ICON to a webpage shortcut on my desktop?

Discus and support How can I change the ICON to a webpage shortcut on my desktop? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For YEARS I have easily created webpage shortcuts on my desktop by simply dragging the URL to the desktop, and then selected a cute ICON from many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BearPaw33, Aug 9, 2020.

1. BearPaw33 Win User

How can I change the ICON to a webpage shortcut on my desktop?

For YEARS I have easily created webpage shortcuts on my desktop by simply dragging the URL to the desktop, and then selected a cute ICON from many downloaded ICO files that helps me quickly visit that website.

I was changing some default programs on my WIN10 desktop, and foolishly selected MICROSOFT PHOTOS as the default photo app. ALL my preferences usually Irfanview or VLC were wiped out, and had to be restored by me one default app after another.

Now when I drag a URL to my desktop there is NOTHING I can do to change the ICON other than have it the default browser icon I prefer FireFox, but this is true for any browser. The shortcut simply ONLY work with the browser icon. Is there a way I can drag webpage ICON shortcuts to my desktop and tailor them with my choice of an icon?

thanks .....

:)

BearPaw33, Aug 9, 2020

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Aug 9, 2020
  3. Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

I know I am quite late but as I was scrolling through I saw this post which happened to one of friend too. This sometimes happens with Windows. Usually a reboot will solve the problem. However if this doesn't, try setting the icon for the shortcut(right-click pinned icon, right-click program, left-click properties, select "change icon...") or refreshing it by switching to a different icon, applying it, and then reverting back to the original icon. Remove the shortcut from the taskbar and replace it with the start menu shortcut or simply drag the .exe file to the taskbar.

lorraine walsh, Aug 9, 2020
  4. MZig Win User

Icons for webpage shortcuts missing from Start Menu tiles after install of Windows 10 Build 10586.420

Subsequent Windows updates have broken the process I outlined above. After several weeks of functioning properly, my start menu tiles for webpage shortcuts reverted to the default Chrome icon once again after subsequent updates were installed.
    After searching the web once more, found another solution that, when combined with the original technique, seems to be working (when using Chrome as your Browser), at least for now:

• Open Chrome and go to the webpage for which you want to create a Start Menu tile. Drag the upper left corner of the url onto your desktop to create a shortcut. This is the shortcut you will be using for your Start Menu.
    • To get Chrome to create a folder with the appropriate icon, create another shortcut using the Chrome menu: From the Chrome customization menu on the same webpage (the 3 vertical dots in upper right hand corner), click on “More Tools” then “Add to
      Desktop” to create a second shortcut. This step will create a folder with the correct icon in the following location: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Applications\%shortcutfolder%. The name of the %shortcutfolder% may
      be a long string of letters with nothing identifiable to the shortcut. Just open the most recently created folder and you should see the icon for the shortcut you just created. Copy the path to this folder - you will need it later.
    • You should now have two shortcuts on your desktop. The first one (from step 1 above) will probably have the default Chrome icon and the second (from step 2 above) will have the correct icon.
      Delete the second shortcut even though it looks right. If you try to pin this one to the Start Menu, it will NOT display properly as a tile! Even though everything looks good and the icon is pointing to the right file, it will not work after
      you pin it to the Start Menu tile.
    • Take the first shortcut you created in step 1 (with the incorrect icon) and drag it (or copy) to: %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    • Right click on the shortcut you just copied and go to “Properties”. Click on “Change Icon” and then “Browse”. Browse to the folder Chrome created for you in step 2 and click on the appropriate icon file: %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User
      Data\Default\Web Applications\%shortcutFolder%. Click on “Apply” or “OK”.
    • You should now see your new shortcut listed under your Start Menu. Right click on it and pin it to the Start Menu. Your tile should now display with the correct icon.
    A really frustrating issue – hope this solution works for others.

MZig, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I change the ICON to a webpage shortcut on my desktop? - Similar Threads - change ICON webpage

2. how to create shortcuts from webpage to desktop/pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to create shortcuts from webpage to desktop/pc: when visiting a website on the default browser its not easy to simply right click and get a shortcut on the desktop .Which is the appearance preferred for those that usse internet explorer .this doesnt appear on my drop down menu .ive found a longer way to do this .visit the...
  3. how to create shortcuts from webpage to desktop/pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to create shortcuts from webpage to desktop/pc: when visiting a website on the default browser its not easy to simply right click and get a shortcut on the desktop .Which is the appearance preferred for those that usse internet explorer .this doesnt appear on my drop down menu .ive found a longer way to do this .visit the...
  4. Can not change a shortcut's icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can not change a shortcut's icon: I am trying to change a shortcut's icon to an icon from a .dll in a linked drive. I can view the icons, from the .dll, in the icon menu but when I select an icon and apply it I get the default icon, the Dog-eared sheet of paper, instead of my custom logo. However, if I have...
  5. Can not change a shortcut's icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not change a shortcut's icon: I am trying to change a shortcut's icon to an icon from a .dll in a linked drive. I can view the icons, from the .dll, in the icon menu but when I select an icon and apply it I get the default icon, the Dog-eared sheet of paper, instead of my custom logo. However, if I have...
  6. Can not change a shortcut's icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How can I change desktop icons to black.

How can I change desktop icons to black.: help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-desktop-icons-to-black/e20db909-adef-4dda-916c-799ca3bf4fe3
  8. Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons: I have a new computer just 8 days old. I run Windows 10 ver. 1909 and have an office 365 subscription. 2 days ago Windows Update installed its updates and then Office 365 tried to update and it crashed. This has happened to me before a while back on another computer and the...
  9. How do I recover the webpage icon images for my web shortcuts?

How do I recover the webpage icon images for my web shortcuts?: A lot of my desktop icons for shortcuts to internet pages are now all the same and appear as a globe. Some other icons on my desktop for shortcuts to programme and some logins appear OK and show the correct picture for the app or program. All of the shortcuts work properly...
  10. Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop: Hi all! I would like to add some web Shortcuts to my desktop and then change the icon so it shows a graphic for what the item is. I know how to add a web site short to the desktop, but the icon is just generic. For example, say I want to add an web shortcut for Taco Bell...