Windows 10: How can I change the icons for the devices in the Network?

Discus and support How can I change the icons for the devices in the Network? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am familiar with changing folder and file icons. However, I can't find a way to change the icons that are seen when viewing the Network window. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by lou711, Dec 30, 2020.

1. lou711 Win User

How can I change the icons for the devices in the Network?

I am familiar with changing folder and file icons. However, I can't find a way to change the icons that are seen when viewing the Network window. For example, I have a network storage device WDMyCloud. I have three of my PC's running Windows 10 Home showing the correct icon see image to the left. The one PC, running Windows 10 Pro, has a generic-very ugly icon see image to the right. Please help has I have researched plenty. Thank you in advance.

How can I change the icons for the devices in the Network? 83b9fd51-9e34-4360-a03d-e33ed508bc06?upload=true.jpg How can I change the icons for the devices in the Network? e3db9e9e-2276-42cf-9b8f-c277f63c8a20?upload=true.jpg

:)

lou711, Dec 30, 2020

2. Change network profile

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I suggest you to try the below steps to change a Private network to Public, and check if it helps.

• Click on the Network icon on the notification area, click
      Open Network Setting
    • Double Click on network location.
    • Turn “on”, Find devices and content.
    • Close.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Dec 30, 2020
  3. PC Pilot Win User
    Change Device Icons with Custom Icons - Devices & Printers

Hi All,

Wondering if you can offer me some pointers here......

Brink put together an excellent tutorial on this process for Windows 7 (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...tom-icons.html) and with some adaption for the revisions to the Metadata Authoring Wizard contained in the Windows 10 Drivers Kit I have already customised my device icons and even provided some (limited) assistance to others grappling with the task (iPhone shown as Unspecified in Devices and Printers).

All that is, with a couple of pesky exceptions namely the main system icon which remains set at it's somewhat bland generic Windows 10 image and I am at a loss as to how to change it to a more representative custom image....

Secondly, the (ugly) generic icon representing the WiFi Gigabit Router (always shown under the custom name assigned to my network) is inaccessible ("greyed out") such that selecting properties (right click) and bring up the properties dialogue offers the usual "General", "Hardware" and "UPnP" tabs but the "Properties" button on the "Hardware" tab is "greyed out" and thus non of the required Hardware ID's can be accessed.

Returning to the "System" icon customisation I am able to access the Properties and from the Hardware Tab to select "ACPI x64-based PC" from a very comprehensive "System Devices" list and then to select the "Properties" button and from the resulting "Details" tab selecting the "Hardware ID" simply reveals just "acpiapic"

Using the Metadata Authoring Wizard and selecting "Device Only Metadata" for the "Package Type" (step 1) and then "Computer*Biggrinesktop" or "Computer:Tower" from the tree in "Device Categories" (step 2) produces the following error (see screen shot)...

How can I change the icons for the devices in the Network? [​IMG]

choosing "Yes" reverts the selection in (step 1) to "Internal Devices" whilst selecting "No" simply deselects the chosen "Device Categories" (step 2).

Proceeding as an "Internal Device" to "Locales" (step 3) and selecting "English (United Kingdom) en-GB" from the tree allows proceeding to "Device Info" (step 4) into which under "Model Name" the following text string representing my Motherboard was inserted "Asus P6T7 WS SuperComputer 64 Bit Windows PC" along with the corresponding details for "Manufacturer", "Model Number", "Description 1" & "Description 2" together with a representative icon. See screenshot.

Proceeding to "Hardware Info" (step 5) and opting to add a Hardware ID offers the following choices which with the assistance of CPU-Z I completed with the representative entries on the following screenshot before generating the error message in the subsequent screenshot referring to two GUID's hardware for which I have been unable to identify in either the Windows directory or the Registry....

see here

Cancelling the error and proceeding to "App Info" (step 6) which I left unfilled (default?) then to "Windows Info" (step 7) in which all I did was to check the box for the item "Show the device when it is disconnected" moving finally to "Finish" which resulted in the error message displayed in the final screenshot below

For ease of reading the full text reads:

The following errors must be fixed before your metadata package can be created:

Hardware info

: Each OEM hardware ID must have associated SMBIOS information to successfully submit to the Windows Hardware Dev Center Dashboard. If you have a device manifest file (devicemanifest-ms), you should edit it instead of editing the device metadata file (devicemetadata-ms). Otherwise, you can enter the SMBIOS information on the Hardware Info page.

Hopefully, someone can identify exactly what I have omitted....

One final thought, is customising this item likely to have any influence on the "Digital Entitlement" held by MS's servers for automatic activation/re-activation?

All advice much appreciated as ever....

Thanks in advance,

PC Pilot, Dec 30, 2020
  4. M4v3r1ck Win User

Change Icons of Network devices?

Hi,

How can I change the icons of:
    1. Canon (Networked) Wifi printer?
    2. Syno DS1812 NAS

Right click does not let met change the icon. TIA!

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I change the icons for the devices in the Network? - Similar Threads - change icons devices

2. How can I find custom icons to change the existing icons for windows sound devices and...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I find custom icons to change the existing icons for windows sound devices and...: I know that I can click on the icon in the 'Sound' page and click on Properties and then at the top there is a button called 'Change Icon' and you can change the icon with existing windows icons but you can also browse for your own icons so I've tried looking for custom icons...
  3. How can I find custom icons to change the existing icons for windows sound devices and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find custom icons to change the existing icons for windows sound devices and...: I know that I can click on the icon in the 'Sound' page and click on Properties and then at the top there is a button called 'Change Icon' and you can change the icon with existing windows icons but you can also browse for your own icons so I've tried looking for custom icons...
  4. How can I find custom icons to change the existing icons for windows sound devices and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I change desktop icons to black.

How can I change desktop icons to black.: help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-desktop-icons-to-black/e20db909-adef-4dda-916c-799ca3bf4fe3
  6. change network icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change network icon: Have a LAN w/o web access. Taskbar tray icon is same as if no network. Changed LAN name using the How to Change a Network Profile Name in Windows 10 tutorial & saw an icon edit there, but it doesn't seem to work. Any way to choose an icon for my LAN so I can see a difference...
  7. Networked devices and icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networked devices and icons: I am currently running version 20H2 but this is an ongoing issue. I have on pc that has Network sharing enabled and I have also enabled SMB 1.0. The problems is that I have 2 pc; and 3 servers that show up when I clicked Network. Prieviously I was able to see several...
  8. How can i change this icon?

How can i change this icon?: I wanted to know if we can change this icon [img] to a HeadPhone or a Custom Icon when we plug a Something in the HeadPhone Jack. 124496
  9. Change Icons of Network devices?

Change Icons of Network devices?: Hi, How can I change the icons of: 1. Canon (Networked) Wifi printer? 2. Syno DS1812 NAS [img] Right click does not let met change the icon. TIA! Cheers 34730
  10. Can I change the icon displayed in Devices and Printers?

Can I change the icon displayed in Devices and Printers?: Hi, I was wondering if I can change the icon for my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick to either an image of the actual joystick or at least to something that looks like a joystick? [img] 107069

Users found this page by searching for:

1. upnp icon