Windows 10: How can I change the Microsoft account linked to my local account?

Discus and support How can I change the Microsoft account linked to my local account? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I want to use the Microsoft Family Safety application to monitor my kid's computer usage, but when setting up his computer, I used my own email... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by USER_125, May 5, 2021.

1. USER_125 Win User

How can I change the Microsoft account linked to my local account?

I want to use the Microsoft Family Safety application to monitor my kid's computer usage, but when setting up his computer, I used my own email account. Now I want to change it. I've been looking for ways to change it without having to create an entirely new user but I haven't found any way that has worked for me. So, is there a way I can change the account tied to my PC/user?Thanks in advance

:)

USER_125, May 5, 2021
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, May 5, 2021
  3. how to change local account to Microsoft account

Hi Linda,

To change your login settings from local account to Microsoft account, please follow the steps below:

• Click on Start menu and select Accounts.
    • Select Your email and accounts and click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
    • Type the details for your Microsoft Account.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, May 5, 2021
  4. Kari Win User

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

How can I change the Microsoft account linked to my local account? [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

Kari, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. How can I change the Microsoft account linked to my local account? - Similar Threads - change Microsoft account

2. I signed into Local account from Microsoft account and now I can't link my local account to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I signed into Local account from Microsoft account and now I can't link my local account to...: Hello everyone,My issue started when my Onedrive was no longer syncing with my Microsoft account. The Onedrive seemed to have been deleted from my account and I tried various solutions to reinstall and link it again. Although I was able to re-download it, I wasn't able to...
  3. I signed into Local account from Microsoft account and now I can't link my local account to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I signed into Local account from Microsoft account and now I can't link my local account to...: Hello everyone,My issue started when my Onedrive was no longer syncing with my Microsoft account. The Onedrive seemed to have been deleted from my account and I tried various solutions to reinstall and link it again. Although I was able to re-download it, I wasn't able to...
  4. I signed into Local account from Microsoft account and now I can't link my local account to...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account: I have a very weird scenario and the only thing I can think of is that Microsoft released an update which screwed this all up. Here's my scenario: I have two laptops that I causally use for specific tasks. One of them I just picked up, while the other I've had for a few...
  6. Change Microsoft Account linked to my local account - Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Change Microsoft Account linked to my local account - Windows 10: Issue:I have a microsoft account linked to my local account on my windows 10 computer. I don't remember the password. I've tried resetting it where MS reviews information I've submitted to verify it's me. They say they can't verify my ID so I want to link my local ID with a...
  7. How can I link the Office account to my microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I link the Office account to my microsoft account?: So I have a laptop with Office installed. The problem is that it was installed at the store where I bought it, and so the office account is linked to some microsoft account they created. Now that I'm using the computer, when I log in through my account into (say Word) then it...
  8. How do I change my Microsoft Account into a Local Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change my Microsoft Account into a Local Account: When I first set up my computer I made a Windows account but I logged in using my Microsoft Account instead of making a local user account. I was wondering if there is anyway to change it to a local account after making the account, without loosing your data....
  9. Cannot link Microsoft Account to Local Account

Cannot link Microsoft Account to Local Account: I just updated to Windows 10 and the account I migrated from Windows 7 won't let me link my Microsoft account. Windows Store crashes when I click Sign In, and any other button that would bring up a dialog box is just unresponsive (Cortana, User Settings, ect.) I've created...
  10. Unable to link Microsoft Account to my Local Account

Unable to link Microsoft Account to my Local Account: Hi all, When I click on the link to associate my Microsoft Account to my Local Account (after upgrading from Windows 7), it simply does nothing. Click, click, click. Similarly, when I try to log in the Windows store app, I get an application error with cryptic codes...