Windows 10: How can I change thumbnail cache location?

Discus and support How can I change thumbnail cache location? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Default location for thumbnail cache is C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer I moved the location where the cache is actually stored... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kzyswd, Aug 18, 2019.

1. kzyswd Win User

How can I change thumbnail cache location?

Default location for thumbnail cache is C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

I moved the location where the cache is actually stored using junction (mklink /J) but because windows is accessing the file, whenever I need to make a change I need to create a separate account and login to that account.

Is there a way to tell Windows to use a specific folder to store thumbnail cache? Junction is more of a workaround than a solution.

:)

kzyswd, Aug 18, 2019
  2. Bunchies Win User

Thumbnail Cache

anyone know how to move the thumbnail cache to another HDD?

i already moved my temp folder to another HDD but thumbnail cache takes up space Fast, and i have having to erase the space cuzz i don't wanna ware down my SSD over time

i also just googled where the thumbnail cache is and its in the %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer ,But how would you go about moving that 1 Folder and having the system know that's its the new path

Bunchies, Aug 18, 2019
  3. club27 Win User
    club27, Aug 18, 2019
  4. How can I change thumbnail cache location?

Windows 10 Picture Files not updating thumbnails

Hi,

I realize that the picture files are not updating thumbnails. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to perform “Disk Cleanup”, cleaning up the temporary internet files, thumbnail, cookies and temp files, so as to check the thumbnail view of the photo is updated by cleaning up your temporary data.

Further, if the issue persists then you can also follow these steps:

• Right click in the Folder that contains the images.

• Select View.

• Note the current icon size, and change it to another size (ie: "Medium-Icons" to "Large-Icons", then back to "Medium-Icons").

• This causes the icons to be resized and their cache updated.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

How can I change thumbnail cache location?

1. How can I change thumbnail cache location? - Similar Threads - change thumbnail cache

2. how can i fix this weird thumbnails bug? i tried clearing cache and changing wallpapers...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i fix this weird thumbnails bug? i tried clearing cache and changing wallpapers...: here in the settings menu, it shows like this even though I have a working background on the desktopand same with virtual desktops only the one I'm using shows the background. others show this big Windows photo's app iconthis person has the same problem but couldn't find...
  3. how can i fix this weird thumbnails bug? i tried clearing cache and changing wallpapers...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i fix this weird thumbnails bug? i tried clearing cache and changing wallpapers...: here in the settings menu, it shows like this even though I have a working background on the desktopand same with virtual desktops only the one I'm using shows the background. others show this big Windows photo's app iconthis person has the same problem but couldn't find...
  4. Question about thumbnail cache save locations

Question about thumbnail cache save locations: Hi all,I recently created a symbolic hard link from my "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" folder to a folder on an external drive, so the thumbnail cache would be saved there.I noticed just now that I had disconnected that drive, and because of that the...
  5. Question about thumbnail cache save locations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about thumbnail cache save locations: Hi all,I recently created a symbolic hard link from my "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" folder to a folder on an external drive, so the thumbnail cache would be saved there.I noticed just now that I had disconnected that drive, and because of that the...
  6. Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail: I recently cleaned the thumbnail cache on my computer. However, an error occurred in my thumbnail, previously the thumbnail showed my laptop icon, and it is black now. How to fix it ?...
  7. Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail

Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail: I recently cleaned the thumbnail cache on my computer. However, an error occurred in my thumbnail, previously the thumbnail showed my laptop icon, and it is black now. How to fix it ?...
  8. How can I remove the Recipient Cache located in a specific .PST file?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How can I remove the Recipient Cache located in a specific .PST file?: Hello How can I remove the Recipient Cache that is located in a specific .PST file? Thanks J 164210
  9. How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10: Hi, I am facing problem as the Progress Bar keep running green after the optional windows update of KB455094 though I have deleted it but the problem remain same. Even Explorer can not be open unless I reboot computer whenever I have to access folders in Explorer....
  10. Thumbnail Cache Rebuilding Automatically?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnail Cache Rebuilding Automatically?: Hi. I have two SSDs in my laptop, one of which contains Windows and a few programs, and the other drive is Bitlocker encrypted and contains documents, pictures and games. I am noticing that just recently, my thumbnail cache has rebuilding itself quite frequently, often after...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change thumbnail cache location