Windows 10: How can I check if my Windows 10 PRO licence can be transfered to a new computer?

Discus and support How can I check if my Windows 10 PRO licence can be transfered to a new computer? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I run Windows 10 Pro on a Mac Mini in bootcamp - thus it obviously wasn't bundled. I think I purchased a Win 8.1 licence years ago and later upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Andreas Grimsby, Nov 26, 2019.

1. How can I check if my Windows 10 PRO licence can be transfered to a new computer?

I run Windows 10 Pro on a Mac Mini in bootcamp - thus it obviously wasn't bundled.
    I think I purchased a Win 8.1 licence years ago and later upgraded to Windows 10 Pro but I can't remember the details.
    Is there any way to see if my current licence can be removed from my ageing Mac Mini and transfered to a new Imac?

:)

Andreas Grimsby, Nov 26, 2019
  2. Ivienn Win User

Transferring two licences between three computers

I have two windows 10 licences, one used on computer that doesn't work anymore and another on lap top in use. I'm buying a new computer and I would like to move licence I have on lap top, as it's pro version, to new computer and put licence from not working
    computer to lap top.

To explain in more detail:

Current situation:

• Lap top - Windows 10 pro licence, upgraded from windows 8.1. To my knowledge it's not OEM. I have reinstalled system from complete format few times on this device with this licence. I still have product key from 8.1.
    • Not working computer - Windows 10 home licence, upgraded from windows 7. For sure not OEM. I have reinstalled system from complete format few times on this device with this licence. I still have product key from 7 and access to hard drive windows is installed
      on.
    • New computer - Has no licence.

What I want to achieve:

• New computer - Windows 10 pro
    • Lap top - Windows 10 home

I read this
    article
    on how to transfer licence, but I'm not exactly sure how to proceed in my case.

Also how would it be best to install Windows 10, I only know how to get files from installation media, but I'm under impression that is bound to licence and computer?

Ivienn, Nov 26, 2019
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Transfer Windows 10 Licence from Old/Dead Computer to New Computer

Depends on the licence you have. How did you get your Windows 10 licence, was it via the free upgrade and was the previous system installed by the manufacturer = OEM.

OEM licences cannot be transferred, generally but recent posts suggest MS is allowing some transfers.

Retail boxed licence can be transferred to a new device.

New motherboard = new device.

neilpzz, Nov 26, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

How can I check if my Windows 10 PRO licence can be transfered to a new computer?

Transferring Windows 10 Pro to a new computer

Hi Roger,

Is your Windows 10 Pro licence based on an OEM licence (came pre-installed on a PC) or Retail (purchased separately to a PC)

If it is a Retail licence, then it will have transfer rights to a new Motherboard or PC, if it is OEM it will not . ..

Is your Windows 10 pro licence a retail licence?

DaveM121, Nov 26, 2019
Thema:

How can I check if my Windows 10 PRO licence can be transfered to a new computer?

1. How can I check if my Windows 10 PRO licence can be transfered to a new computer? - Similar Threads - check PRO licence

2. Can I transfer my Licence for Microsoft 365 family to a new computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I transfer my Licence for Microsoft 365 family to a new computer?: I will soon upgrade my computer and not continue using my old one. Can you tell me what I need to do to continue using my Microsoft 365 family?...
  3. Can I transfer my Licence for Microsoft 365 family to a new computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I transfer my Licence for Microsoft 365 family to a new computer?: I will soon upgrade my computer and not continue using my old one. Can you tell me what I need to do to continue using my Microsoft 365 family?...
  4. Can I transfer my Pro licence to my new computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I transfer my Pro licence to my new computer?: I have bought a new computer with pre-installed Windows 11 Home, directly from Acer. My old computer HP does not work anymore, but it was running a pre-installed Windows 10 Pro. Both the old and the new computer are registered in my Microsoft account. Can I transfer the Pro...
  5. Can I transfer my Pro licence to my new computer?

Can I transfer my Pro licence to my new computer?: I have bought a new computer with pre-installed Windows 11 Home, directly from Acer. My old computer HP does not work anymore, but it was running a pre-installed Windows 10 Pro. Both the old and the new computer are registered in my Microsoft account. Can I transfer the Pro...
  6. can i transfer windows10 pro licence to new computer running windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i transfer windows10 pro licence to new computer running windows 11?: I have treated myself to a new PC running Windows 11 home. My previous computer had Windows 10 pro which is too old for Windows 11I need the remote access part of the pro package but Windows 11 home does not have it. So, I was thinking, can I transfer my old licence to the...
  7. can i transfer windows10 pro licence to new computer running windows 11?

can i transfer windows10 pro licence to new computer running windows 11?: I have treated myself to a new PC running Windows 11 home. My previous computer had Windows 10 pro which is too old for Windows 11I need the remote access part of the pro package but Windows 11 home does not have it. So, I was thinking, can I transfer my old licence to the...
  8. Check if I can transfer my Windows 10 Home license to a new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Check if I can transfer my Windows 10 Home license to a new computer: I was planning on buying a new computer this year and I was trying to check if I could transfer my current windows license. I bought it with the computer, so I was expecting a OEM license which would not be transferable. But running the "slmgr /dli" command on the cmd, I...
  9. Transfer windows 10 pro digital licence to new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer windows 10 pro digital licence to new computer: I am from Norway and can only get windows 10 pro N and not windows 10 pro. However, when I upgraded from my purchased windows 8 license to windows 10 pro I received only windows 10 pro and not the pro N version. So now my account is linked to a windows 10 pro account digital...
  10. Can I transfer Windows 10 licence ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I transfer Windows 10 licence ?: I am buying new PC in 2 days and I want to know If I can transfer my licence from laptop to the new PC. I have W10 education edition. Thanks. submitted by /u/tommyldo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e8q0lp/can_i_transfer_windows_10_licence/