Windows 10: how can i check win10 to see if i have a geniue product key??? does

Discus and support how can i check win10 to see if i have a geniue product key??? does in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; how can i check win10 to see if i have a geniue product key??? does win10 save it somewhere?? or do i need to have saved it before i installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by nfurn9tt049thur, Jun 29, 2015.

1. how can i check win10 to see if i have a geniue product key??? does

how can i check win10 to see if i have a geniue product key???

does win10 save it somewhere??

or do i need to have saved it before i installed win10??

:)

nfurn9tt049thur, Jun 29, 2015

2. Where can I go to check to see if I have the latest updates for Windows 10?

Sandy

We need a bit more information. If your windows updates are running, and you are on the released version, windows update should find anything you need.

We can give you a much better answer if you type winver in run (win key +"R") and tell us what it says. My hunch is it will say build 10586.?? and the something tells us what cumulative updates you have already gotten.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jun 29, 2015
  3. Holly1958 Win User
    Where can I go to check to see if I have the latest updates for Windows 10?

I go to Start, then click on Settings, then on Update and Security, then on Advanced Options and on Advanced Options click on View Your Update History,

Hope this helps you as I am new to Windows 10.

Holly1958, Jun 29, 2015
  4. how can i check win10 to see if i have a geniue product key??? does

Win10 is a "preview" -- so, the product keys are freely available. However, they have changed with build 10158. If you do a forum search, you will find threads that post the generic product keys.

Mark Phelps, Jul 1, 2015
  5. groze Win User
    @Mark Phelps

I think the op upgrade from windows 7 or 8.1 and wants to be able to keep 10 activated after getting the rtm on the July 29th & leaving the insider program.

groze, Jul 3, 2015
  6. showkey will show you your key, https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html. I did an upgrade from Windows 7, my windows 10 key shows as Windows 10 Pre-release Professional Retail. Pre-release being the operative words. It's not much good for anything other than maybe clean installing 10 Preview. I still have the watermark and activation will expire at the end of the trial period. My current 10162 key is not a generic key, not as far as I can tell anyway. It doesn't match any of the ones I've seen posted.

alphanumeric, Jul 4, 2015
  7. nfurn9tt049thur, Aug 14, 2015
  8. how can i check win10 to see if i have a geniue product key??? does

Original Edition: Win Next Starter Retail

OEM Key: Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware

not sure what this means

nfurn9tt049thur, Aug 14, 2015
  9. Superfly Win User
    Win Next Starter Retail is a Home preview test key used to install and activate with Insider MSA.

Windows 7 OEM marker means that PC was factory built for Windows 7.

Superfly, Aug 14, 2015
  10. that never answers my original question, like is this activated if i sign into a local account...

nfurn9tt049thur, Aug 16, 2015
  11. showkey will show you your Windows 10 key? It will be the one listed as Installed Key: If you did the free upgrade you don't need it anyway. It will be a generic key. On a clean install on that PC just press skip when prompted for the key. It will activate based on the hardware ID that was stored when you first activated Windows 10. This only works though if you did the upgrade and verified that Windows 10 was activated.

alphanumeric, Aug 16, 2015
  12. how do i know if this is activated though..... it doesnt say anywhere

and do i absolutely have to do a clean install (which deletes all my software and files) to not have to sign into win10?

nfurn9tt049thur, Aug 16, 2015
  13. how can i check win10 to see if i have a geniue product key??? does

Open the System Screen, right click the *Start button and select system. Activation status is shown on that screen. I don't understand your second question?

alphanumeric, Aug 16, 2015
  14. Full activation details can be seen In Command Prompt (Admin). Type the following command and press Enter:

Code: slmgr.vbs /dlv[/quote] or this one alone for further investigation:

Code: slmgr.vbs[/quote] Regards,

MikeMecanic, Aug 16, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Run winver - either from a command prompt or from the search box. Look for the build number. You want to see 10240.

From an elevated command prompt ("run as administrator" command prompt) type slmgr /xpr
    That will tell you your activation expiration. You want to see "permanently activated".
    If you see build 10240, permanently activated, you are good to go, you won't get anything higher than that.

Do you mean use a local account rather than a Microsoft account? Or do you mean automatically log a user in when the computer starts up? You don't need a clean install for either of those. Changing an existing account to a local user or adding a local user is done in Settings, under accounts. Setting up automatic login is done by running netplwiz from either a command prompt or the search box.

NavyLCDR, Aug 16, 2015
Thema:

how can i check win10 to see if i have a geniue product key??? does

1. how can i check win10 to see if i have a geniue product key??? does - Similar Threads - check win10 geniue

2. I have a windows product key. I need to check if that product key is genuine licensed or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a windows product key. I need to check if that product key is genuine licensed or...: Windows 8 is the windows version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-windows-product-key-i-need-to-check-if/3b0d110f-6e7b-4d57-aef9-58bca1042cf7
  3. I have a windows product key. I need to check if that product key is genuine licensed or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a windows product key. I need to check if that product key is genuine licensed or...: Windows 8 is the windows version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-windows-product-key-i-need-to-check-if/3b0d110f-6e7b-4d57-aef9-58bca1042cf7
  4. how to check product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to check product key: how to check product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-check-product-key/3c5695f7-b0f5-4000-8857-ffedd4b6d59c
  5. how to check product key

how to check product key: how to check product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-check-product-key/3c5695f7-b0f5-4000-8857-ffedd4b6d59c
  6. I don't have a product key of my laptop how can I get the product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't have a product key of my laptop how can I get the product key: How can I solve a problem of my laptop I don't have a product key to my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-a-product-key-of-my-laptop-how-can-i/12b87f20-7dfc-4384-b71c-c66e00d74b14
  7. I don't have a product key of my laptop how can I get the product key

I don't have a product key of my laptop how can I get the product key: How can I solve a problem of my laptop I don't have a product key to my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-dont-have-a-product-key-of-my-laptop-how-can-i/12b87f20-7dfc-4384-b71c-c66e00d74b14
  8. Can I upgrade to Win11, if I buy a product key for Win10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I upgrade to Win11, if I buy a product key for Win10?: Recently bought a PC, and I booted it up with Win10. I'm planning on buying a product key for Win10, just because I'm used to it, and don't want to change just yet. So my question is if I will still be able to use that feature to get a free upgrade to Win11, if I wanted to...
  9. how can I have a product key ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how can I have a product key ?: how can I have a product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-have-a-product-key/c6db0db3-019d-47df-8e70-ce7e32b90074"
  10. How do I see my product key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I see my product key?: I've been told that if I want to use an ISO of Windows 10 which I have burned to a DVD in the future after a hard drive failure, I would need to provide a product key. I was told to look in BIOS for that. What I found instead was a line of x's in place of the product key....