Windows 10: How Can I Collapse/Close All Registry Keys?

Discus and support How Can I Collapse/Close All Registry Keys? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I went around searching for a setting through the registry and left a mess with dozens of open keys and sub keys. Is there a key within the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by junior, Oct 29, 2015.

1. junior Win User

How Can I Collapse/Close All Registry Keys?

Hello, I went around searching for a setting through the registry and left a mess with dozens of open keys and sub keys. Is there a key within the registry I can delete that will restore all keys to there original collapsed/closed state?

:)

junior, Oct 29, 2015

2. Windows 10 can't play music and videos after an automatic update

Hi Jelu,

Thank you for your guides. I have opened the Registry Editor and followed the steps posted by Brian, Unfortunately, step 2 is not in the Registry Editor. What should I do next? Here is a screenshot of the Registry Editor.

Thanks
    How Can I Collapse/Close All Registry Keys? [​IMG]

Melburnianz, Oct 29, 2015
  3. Jelu Cal Win User
    Windows 10 can't play music and videos after an automatic update

Hi,

Hive keys (HKEY) are the items that comprise the registry of the Windows operating system. To locate
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio], we'd recommend performing the following:

• Search and launch regedit using Cortana.
    • Locate and collapse HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    • Locate and collapse SOFTWARE.
    • Locate and collapse Microsoft.
    • Locate and collapse Windows.
    • Locate and collapse CurrentVersion.
    • Locate Audio.

Note: Once you've completed the steps, you can proceed to the steps posted by
    BrianJeffrey

Let us know how it goes after you've performed the steps.

Jelu Cal, Oct 29, 2015
  4. LMiller7 Win User

The state of a key being open or collapsed doesn't effect the registry itself, only how it is viewed in regedit. I don't believe there is any way to directly close all keys. What you can do is exit regedit and reopen it. Regedit will then open with the same key displayed in the right column as before with only the keys expanded that are necessary to show this.

LMiller7, Oct 29, 2015
  5. junior Win User
    I didn't know that upon closing the Registry Editor all keys collapse except the last highlighted entry. I was attempting to collapse each entry one at a time *Shock thank you for letting me know. *Smile

junior, Oct 29, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Highlight each HKEY parent key and press the left arrow key til it's collapsed.

Edwin, Oct 29, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    If you go to the top of regedit and right click on Computer, there is a Collapse selection Click it to collapse all.

Ztruker, Oct 29, 2015
  8. How Can I Collapse/Close All Registry Keys?

With the cursor focus in the left pane, simply press the left arrow key. Kind of stupid that the right click menu doesn't include 'Collapse All'.
    I find it amusing that Micro$oft doesn't make it easier to navigate within the registry. Even the 'Find' feature is lame; you have to click 'Edit' to select 'Find next' for any search string, since the dialog box closes every time it's clicked.

rstrub1955, Mar 26, 2016
  9. Using CCleaner and cleaning: Applications - Windows - Regedit - will reset it to the original state.

TairikuOkami, Mar 26, 2016
  10. Fafhrd Win User
  11. It does not collapse the keys, it will just hide them, when you continue browsing, they will be still open.

12. Fafhrd Win User
    I see. so the right arrow key is better then?

Fafhrd, Mar 26, 2016
  13. How Can I Collapse/Close All Registry Keys?

Unfortunately not, still the same effect, it only hides the selected key, but when you open it again, keys are uncollapsed.

14. Berton Win User
    On Win7 through Win10, when I close Regedit then reopen it the display returns to the way I left it. I make it a practice to collapse all subkeys so all that is showing are the 5 Hives before closing. That's the way it opens next time. I do it that way as most times I am not going back to the same place.

Berton, Mar 26, 2016
  15. Or press F3

nigelmercier, Mar 26, 2016
Thema:

1. How Can I Collapse/Close All Registry Keys? - Similar Threads - Collapse Close Registry

2. How can i close this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i close this?: How can i close this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-close-this/1a5c8a6c-0274-4df6-8bc6-d8e4d184755b
  3. How can i close this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i close this?: How can i close this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-close-this/1a5c8a6c-0274-4df6-8bc6-d8e4d184755b
  4. How can I determine if a registry key belongs to a specific program?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I determine if a registry key belongs to a specific program?: For example - if a key contains a value containing for example one value clearly related to this program, but I can't determine what others' values mean, like in the attatchment, how can I be sure it belongs to the program?[ATTACH]...
  5. How do I create a registry key?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I create a registry key?: Greetings, I would like to have a batch script run automatically every time I open the command prompt. Anarticle implies that I need to create a registry key in this path: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor How do I do this? I think the key name is supposed to...
  6. Registry keys registry keys

Registry keys registry keys: Where can I customize the file type/extension icon? John 137822
  7. How can I add "Autorun" registry key to...

How can I add "Autorun" registry key to...: I was trying to fix a problem and deleted a registry key "Autorun" in "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor". Now when ever I start my PC, after entering password, it gets stuck at the command prompt. When i type explorer then only i get to access...
  8. OneNote: How do I collapse/expand all my open notebooks?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    OneNote: How do I collapse/expand all my open notebooks?: I have more than a dozen open notebooks and more recently closed notebooks, each with many many tabs. Is there a way to close them all so I can better see which one notebook I am currently working in? 74287
  9. Windows 10 Cortana "How Can I Help" Collapse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Cortana "How Can I Help" Collapse: I have 7 Windows 10 computers (4 @ office, 3 @ home). Of these 7, only 1 is having this issue. Beginning about a month ago, Cortana has started giving me a "How Can I Help?" sort of splash screen, with a "^" on the bottom to collapse into my interests. See screenshots:...
  10. how to expand or collapse all groups in event viewer

in Windows 10 Support
    how to expand or collapse all groups in event viewer: I've been needing to check the event viewer lately, and when I show in groups, there's a small arrow that lets one collapse each group, and then you see a summary of how many events are in each group. But to collapse all of them I have only found the tedious way by doing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to close keys in regedit

2. delphi how to collapse a key in the registry

3. win 10 collapse regedit on exit

4. windows how to collapse all registry paths at once