Windows 10: How can I connect Windows10 Pro to a Windows 7 Homegroup?

Discus and support How can I connect Windows10 Pro to a Windows 7 Homegroup? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have the latest version of Windows 10 pro and I need to connect to a Windows 7 Homegroup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ArnoldKirschenbaum, Feb 10, 2019.

1. How can I connect Windows10 Pro to a Windows 7 Homegroup?

I have the latest version of Windows 10 pro and I need to connect to a Windows 7 Homegroup

:)

ArnoldKirschenbaum, Feb 10, 2019

2. Unable to connect to Homegroup on Windows 10 Pro 1709

Problem:

• My two Windows 10 PCs are unable to connect to a Homegroup.
    • When attempting to join a Homegroup, the connection wizard will sit and spin for minutes before returning "Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network."
    • This happens whether I try to host the Homegroup on PC 1 or on PC 2.

Specs:

• PC 1
      • Windows 10 Pro 1709 (Build 16299.125)
      • Windows Firewall turned on
      • Sharing to devices on same network turned on
      • File History drive recommended in Homegroup
      • Never connected to another Homegroup before
    • PC 2
      • Windows 10 Pro 1709 (Build 16299.125)
      • Windows Firewall turned on
      • Sharing to devices on same network turned on
      • Never connected to another Homegroup before

Troubleshooting Attempted:

• Confirm both PCs are connected to same WiFi network
    • Confirm network is listed as Private and Trusted on both PCs
    • Confirm that each PC can connect to the other via Explorer
    • Confirm that each PC can see the Homegroup hosted by the other
    • Attempt hosting Homegroup on PC 1 and on PC 2
    • Change password for Homegroup
    • Stop and Restart Peer Networking and associated Services
    • Synchronize System Time
    • Rename Workgroup
    • Restart after all appropriate steps

At this point, I'm running out of ideas. Could someone help me find resolve this?

greggers-p, Feb 10, 2019
  3. Cannot connect to HomeGroup - "Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network."

Hello, I am unable to connect either of my Windows 10 PCs to a HomeGroup.

Whenever I open the HomeGroup Control Panel on either PC, I see a message that says I have been invited to join a HomeGroup and there is a Join Now button.

I'll click the button, enter the password, and then wait for about a minute. After a minute, I get an error message that says "Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network."

This happens on both PCs.

Troubleshooting steps attempted:

• Ensure both PCs are connected to the same wireless network
    • Change the password used to connect to the HomeGroup
      • Restart
    • Ensure that Sharing permissions in Network and Sharing are identical
      • Restart
    • Delete the HomeGroup from PC 1, create a new HomeGroup on PC 2
      • No matter which PC hosts the HomeGroup, I get the same error

The Gear:

PC 1:

Home-built Desktop PC

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1709, Build 16299.125

PC 2:

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga (Gen 2) [Fresh out of the box last night]

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1709, Build 16299.125

Network:

802.11ac 5GHz Century Link Gigabit

I'm really not sure what the problem is. I can see each PC when I open File Explorer, but I can't connect to the HomeGroup.

I'd really like to be able to connect because PC 1 has a drive connected for File History that I'd like PC 2 to connect to. PC 1 also operates as my media library, which I want to share to PC 2.

greggers-p, Feb 10, 2019
  4. How can I connect Windows10 Pro to a Windows 7 Homegroup?

Homegroup connectivity problem

We appreciate your detailed response. Damaged system components is one of the possible reasons why you are experiencing issues with saving files from your laptop to your desktop using the HomeGroup. For initial troubleshooting, we suggest running the automated
    troubleshooter for HomeGroup issues.

To run the HomeGroup troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + X and then choose Control Panel.
    • Click on Network and Internet.
    • Select HomeGroup and then click Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter.
    • Click the Next button and then click on Skip this step.
    • Wait for the troubleshooter to finish the process.
    • Restart the computer after running the troubleshooter.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Update us about the results.

Darleen Pen, Feb 10, 2019
Thema:

How can I connect Windows10 Pro to a Windows 7 Homegroup?

1. How can I connect Windows10 Pro to a Windows 7 Homegroup? - Similar Threads - connect Windows10 Pro

2. How can I reinstall windows 7 pro OA?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I reinstall windows 7 pro OA?: So I acquired an old Acer Veriton X275 computer a while back and unfortunately it was missing some of its RAM. Due to this running windows 7 was not a viable option because the machine didn’t have enough RAM. So I replaced the operating system with a Linux distribution for...
  3. can I replace windows10 pro with windows10 home?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    can I replace windows10 pro with windows10 home?: I keep getting message that my license has expired. I have windows10 pro which I would like to replace with windows10 home. Is this possible?...
  4. Windows 10 won't connect to Win 7 homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 won't connect to Win 7 homegroup: I just got a new HP desktop running win 10. I already have a local network with two laptops running win 10 and one desktop running win 7. The win 7 pc serves as my media server and has a homegroup enabled with sharing. My new PC recognizes the win 7 pc on the network but I...
  5. How do I connect to an existing homegroup?

How do I connect to an existing homegroup?: Moved from Windows 7 to a new Windows 10 laptop, but can't work out how to connect to our homegroup. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-connect-to-an-existing-homegroup/95abee85-b3be-46d8-8fe6-591e378edb64
  6. How to homegroup network windows 10 & Windows 7

How to homegroup network windows 10 & Windows 7: How to accomplish this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-homegroup-network-windows-10-windows-7/744df7f1-67db-4bb6-a3e6-a9a04ed360fd
  7. where is windows10 HomeGroup password

where is windows10 HomeGroup password: can not find windows10 HomeGroup password ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-windows10-homegroup-password/875555a8-6e47-4fd6-9ebd-b69ad72575a7
  8. Homegroup won't recognize Windows 7/Windows 10 connection

Homegroup won't recognize Windows 7/Windows 10 connection: I had two windows 7 machines connected. Machine 1 was replaced with a windows 10 model. It is the machine that the printer was connected to. Now the homegroup function seems not to recognize the other machine, Machine 2. I've tried connecting from each machine and the other...
  9. Windows 7, Windows 10 and NAS connectivity - Homegroup setup

Windows 7, Windows 10 and NAS connectivity - Homegroup setup: Hi all At the moment I have my main PC (Main) upgraded to Win 10 Pro x64 , and a Media PC (Media) on Win 7 Ultimate x64(Media) and a variety of Netgear and Buffalo NAS devices. These are currently all networked via a Workgroup with no problems. Issue: To use Cortana on...
  10. Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro

Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro: Hi All, I have 2 Dell Alienware PC's. Both are running on Windows10Pro 64 BIT. One is a laptop and the other one is a Desktop. Both systems areconnected to the same and only network and not any domain whatsoever. The problem is, when I try to create a Homegroup on...