Windows 10: How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?

Discus and support How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Before I send my laptop computer to HP for repairs, I want to copy or back up my data not programs or system to my external hard drive which contains... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BenDCooper, Jan 12, 2020.

1. How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?

Before I send my laptop computer to HP for repairs, I want to copy or back up my data not programs or system to my external hard drive which contains plenty of free space. When I try to copy or drag&drop the Windows\Users folder, the dialog box specifies fewer files 3500 when I know there are at least 180,000 in "Users" and size 402 MB when I know there are at least 11 GB to be copied. What should I do in order to be sure I will have copied ALL my precious data to the external HDD? Is there a better way than copy or drag&drop to copy and preserve my data on my external HDD?

:)

BenDCooper, Jan 12, 2020
  2. JohnL_793 Win User

Windows 10: How to transfer data from an external hard drive to a new laptop

When I press Ctrl Key + V Key to paste it in the computer - as per Step 6 above - this starts to copy all files back into the same external drive.

Have the above instructions - Steps 1 to 6 - been revised since April 2016 and, if so, what steps should I follow?

JohnL_793, Jan 12, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 12, 2020
  4. How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?

Windows 10: How to transfer data from an external hard drive to a new laptop

Hi Karen,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with transferring data from external drive to Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to copy files from the external drive to the computer and check if it helps.

1. Open File Explorer.

2. Connect the external hard drive to the computer.

3. Click on This PC on the left side of the File Explorer.

4. Double click on external hard drive icon.

5. Press Ctrl Key + A Key to select all the data files and press Ctrl + C Key to copy it.

6. Then press Ctrl Key + V Key to paste it in the computer.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?

1. How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive? - Similar Threads - Copy Data Laptop

2. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  3. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  4. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Copying to External Hard Drive

Copying to External Hard Drive: I try to copy files to my external hard drives, the system goes through the procedure, but when I look where the files should be, only the folders are being copied. Why am I unable to copy to external drives and how can I do this?...
  6. how can I verify data loss on an external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    how can I verify data loss on an external hard drive?: I accidentally removed my external usb drive without ejecting. The next time I connected the drive Windows 10 prompted a scan to fix errors. They were fixed after the scan and the hard drive connects fine but this drive is loaded with pictures and music. What exactly did...
  7. Copy from Surface Laptop and Paste to External Hard Drive not working

Copy from Surface Laptop and Paste to External Hard Drive not working: Hi All, I recently bought a surface laptop and I am so confused with some features. I tried to copy a folder from the desktop to my external drive which has around 200gb plenty of room and it says there is no enough space on the desktop and that I need an additional 43.4GB....
  8. How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?

How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?: Before I send my laptop computer to HP for repairs, I want to copy or back up my data not programs or system to my external hard drive which contains plenty of free space. When I try to copy or drag&drop the Windows\Users folder, the dialog box specifies fewer files 3500...
  9. Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive

Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive: Hi all, I have a 500gb canvio basic that I recently purchased. Yesterday, i was moving some data from my HP laptop & the battery died in the middle of transferring. At this point, i am unable to transfer data from the laptop to the hard drive (it disconnects itself) but I...
  10. External Hard Drive copies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive copies: When I attach an external hard drive it displays two copies (e.g. Drive (E:)) the content is the same but when moving folders or files i have sometimes put them in different copies. I would like just one drive but how do i get rid of the copy?...