Windows 10: How can I create a backup with only certain files in Windows 10?

Discus and support How can I create a backup with only certain files in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello there, a little while ago I did a messy transition to win10 from win8.1. After that most of my important files in c got moved to windows.old.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Y.Sassy, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Y.Sassy Win User

How can I create a backup with only certain files in Windows 10?

Hello there, a little while ago I did a messy transition to win10 from win8.1. After that most of my important files in c got moved to windows.old. Things were messy at first however I managed to fix %90 of the issue however my main remaining issue is getting some of the registry files back. I know what to get and what not to but I want to make sure that I have a backup. However, when I try to make backup I just want to back up the "Windows" folder but the backup tool trying to get my whole C and D, I done the same thing when I was on Windows 8.1 and it only took some necessary files. I do own a flash with windows in it so as far as I have the backup things should go smoothly. So how do I make that backup of only "Windows" file and my regs in it?

:)

Y.Sassy, Oct 22, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 22, 2019
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Oct 22, 2019
  4. How can I create a backup with only certain files in Windows 10?

Unable to Backup certain number of files

Hi Virgilio,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• How are you trying to back up the data?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    • Do you gat any error code on the screen?
    I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to start Volume Shadow Copy service
    and set it to Automatic.

Steps to Start the service and set it to automatic:

• Press Windows Key + R on the keyboard and type
      services.msc
      , Services window gets opened.
    • Search for Volume Shadow Copy service, right click on it and click on
      Properties.
    • Start the service, set
      Startup type to Automatic.

Step 2: I suggest you to perform clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict and check.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot
    state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

For reference: Backup and restore your files

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-back-up-your-files

Hope the information helps. Please let us now if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 22, 2019
Thema:

How can I create a backup with only certain files in Windows 10?

1. How can I create a backup with only certain files in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - create backup certain

2. How to select only certain files in a folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to select only certain files in a folder?: Hi! I'm having a folder with round about 6000 images in there. Also I'm having a list in a CSV file which includes round about 400 names of those image files. I would like to select these 400 files in the folder to add them to a new folder. If I'm using the searching box in...
  3. How to select only certain files in a folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to select only certain files in a folder?: Hi! I'm having a folder with round about 6000 images in there. Also I'm having a list in a CSV file which includes round about 400 names of those image files. I would like to select these 400 files in the folder to add them to a new folder. If I'm using the searching box in...
  4. Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I create Windows backups in a dynamic drive?: So the thing is that I have a C drive which is a system boot drive and is an SSD. The HDD I have is used for everything else. Also, I regularly create backups in the D drive in the HDD. Now I thought that I should separate out space for backups and move the empty space along...
  5. How can I only backup the operating system

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How can I only backup the operating system: I don't need file backup and it is just too big for my external hard disk- I'd like to keep a previous backup until the new one is successful created. 182317
  6. How do I create a backup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I create a backup?: I’m a Mac guy who got my first windows pc for the first time since windows 7. Im about to wipe my drive and install Arch Linux instead but first I wanna back up my stuff. On mac it’s really simply, you plug in any hard drive and open time machine and with one click literally...
  7. How can I backup my Windows 10 files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I backup my Windows 10 files?: Hi, How can I backup my Windows 10 files? There seems to be something to backup files to the cloud. Please advise. Also, is it better to backup using Windows 10 or using an external backup drive like MyPassport by Western Digital? Thanks, Joe...
  8. How to open manually created backup files?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to open manually created backup files?: So my Windows broke down 2 days ago. I don't know how nor why, but the computer wouldn't boot, and I had important files on it. I decided the best thing to do would be to use the backup function the OS provided when I booted from a memory stick, which I then proceeded to do....
  9. How do I create a backup of system and data files?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I create a backup of system and data files?: Pardon me if this is a question already addressed in the forum. I've looked at the tutorials including "How to Create a System Image in Windows 10" and am not sure that what I want to do is totally addressed. A redirect or reference to a URL away from this forum is fine. I...
  10. can only search for certain windows 10 files and not everything

in Windows 10 Support
    can only search for certain windows 10 files and not everything: Have found I now have a strange problem. It was working up to last week. I now can only search for certain windows 10 files and not everything. Please someone find a fix. 24995