Windows 10: How can I create a custom desktop icon?

Discus and support How can I create a custom desktop icon? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I would like to create a shortcut icon on my Windows 10 desktop to execute the following command: c:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bonne, Feb 24, 2016.

1. bonne Win User

How can I create a custom desktop icon?

Hi,
    I would like to create a shortcut icon on my Windows 10 desktop to execute the following command:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe -safe-mode

I seem to recall that this was easy in earlier versions of Windows. (As were many other actions!)

Any ideas??

Arleen

:)

bonne, Feb 24, 2016

2. How can I create a custom desktop theme?

Ahh, I have indeed found the option to select a folder of images for a background slideshow. However, I do not want a slideshow. I would like a
    solid, light color background and a darker color for menu items, task bar, etc. There seems to be a choice of solid background colors (most of them disgusting, some truly hideous) with no ability to "calibrate" that color or select something
    harmonious for the menu and taskbar and other such items. Sigh. I have been working on this for five months now and am getting weary. And why the devil do I need a "Windows Account" in order to ask about this?

Anciana Malhumorada, Feb 24, 2016
  3. CAEmerson Win User
    How can I create a custom desktop theme?

How does one go about making more specific changes--like increasing the border width? For example, when I change the extension of the *.theme file to *.ini I can open it as a text file.

Since *.msstyles is a Microsoft format, is there a tool (something in Visual Studio for example) that can edit these?

CAEmerson, Feb 24, 2016
  4. bonne Win User

Hi,
    I right clicked on the desktop, chose new shortcut, and in the field, I browsed to the thunderbird executable.
    When I chose it, it entered the part in quotes in the field. I added the -safe-mode and it worked!

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -safe-mode

I had originally tried typing it in manually, and I put the closing quote at the end after the -safe-mode. Silly me.

Arleen

bonne, Feb 24, 2016
  5. caperjack Win User
    now apologise to windows 10 ,,lol

caperjack, Feb 24, 2016
  6. bonne Win User
    That's cute! Thanks for the laugh! Anyway, I'll apologize when I can use the awful Win10 search function to actually find something on my computer. *Mad It used to be so easy!

Arleen

bonne, Feb 24, 2016
  7. caperjack Win User
    your welcome , my first computer ran win 3.11, so I'm not new to computers but I never did much searching for things on my computer ,I usually know where they are ,, to test win10 search I just opened my-documents ,and starting typing the starting letters of some of the files ,and they came up in the search results with only 4 or of the letters of the name of the file ,,

caperjack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I create a custom desktop icon? - Similar Threads - create custom desktop

2. How can I create custom dynamic icons like the folder icon?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I create custom dynamic icons like the folder icon?: In creating and organizing my files, I noticed that there is not an obvious method to creating custom dynamic folder icons like those that come prebuilt with Windows. There is also a lack of resources readily available online to demonstrate whether or not this is possible and...
  3. How can I create custom dynamic icons like the folder icon?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I create custom dynamic icons like the folder icon?: In creating and organizing my files, I noticed that there is not an obvious method to creating custom dynamic folder icons like those that come prebuilt with Windows. There is also a lack of resources readily available online to demonstrate whether or not this is possible and...
  4. How to Create Icons For Desktop and Documents?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Create Icons For Desktop and Documents?: When I was on Windows 7, I had created icons for my desktop and one for My Documents which I placed in the taskbar. They stayed there when it upgraded to WIN10. I now have a new system and NEED them back. I can't find the website as there are so many hits now with the search...
  5. How I Can Create Panels For A Custom Iso?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How I Can Create Panels For A Custom Iso?: Hello Goodnight. How i can create a multiple windows with choices for different optimization in the same windows installation? I have searched in many ways how to make this type of windows or panels to integrate it to an ISO modified by me. It is a kind of windows with...
  6. How to create a virtual desktop with new or no icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to create a virtual desktop with new or no icons?: To create a new virtual desktop, press Win+Ctrl+d. Got that. But how do I create a new virtual desktop that has only 1 or two icons from the original in Win 10 v1903 (the last successful update was Feb 13)? Thanks. 151507
  7. How can I create a shortcut to desktop?

How can I create a shortcut to desktop?: A new version of Windows 10 has no way to create shortcuts to my desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-create-a-shortcut-to-desktop/f34335b0-ea8d-42f5-b9ad-e0b25646d620
  8. How I Created Icons for the Virtual Desktops

How I Created Icons for the Virtual Desktops: Just an idea for anyone wanting icons for the virtual desktop. You need a fixed number of virtual desktops for this to work. For example, I am using 3 virtual desktops. If I wanted to use 4, I would have to recode it or just not used the icons. - Get a free scripting...
  9. Can I create a custom language pack?

Can I create a custom language pack?: My friends and I have a secret language and I was wondering if it's possible to create a custom language pack. Thanks! 29410
  10. Desktop Icons...How To Create Them ?

Desktop Icons...How To Create Them ?: O.k.....Since switching to the Edge browser, I find that I cannot ''drag and drop'' anything from the favourites bar to the desktop, to create quick link icons.....at the moment I keep going back to Chrome, which allows you to do this....there must be a way surely, in Edge to...