Windows 10: How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?

Discus and support How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I like to organise my programs apps hierarchically which was easy on Windows 7. I've tried writing to %programdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Graham Tebby, Sep 3, 2022.

1. How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?

I like to organise my programs apps hierarchically which was easy on Windows 7. I've tried writing to %programdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs and %appdata/..., and although I can see the folders that are there at the moment, adding another folder has no effect.

:)

Graham Tebby, Sep 3, 2022

2. How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?

Please elaborate on I was unable to get it to recognize a new folder

Do you mean
    the folder did not appear in the Start list
    - or -
    you could not create the folder

I add folders and shortcuts to the Start menu regularly. Once I figured out the time stamp thing (a new object shows up, a copied object might show up).

Please follow these steps exactly and post any problems you run into when they happen.

1. Open Control Panel (View by: Small icons)

How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list? [​IMG]

2. Right click Indexing Options in Control Panel
      Select Create shortcut
      answer Yes when the dialog window tells you that the shortcut cannot be created here ....
      There should now be an Indexing Options shortcut on your Desktop

3. Launch File Explorer
      Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
      Create a new folder named 10test
      Open the new 10test folder in File Explorer
      Drag the Indexing Options shortcut on your Desktop to the new 10test folder

4. Open Start - the 10test folder should be at the top of the list and the Indexing Options shortcut is inside that folder.

That is the process I use.

There were issues with Start in some of the earlier Preview builds, but I haven't seen those in the Retail release.

If I recall, pinning something from the list to Start seemed to wake up the process. Try that if you don't see the 10test folder in the menu list.

That's about all I can think of.

Slartybart, Sep 3, 2022
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Sep 3, 2022
  4. atinfo Win User

How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?

Cortana don't show hidden folder in "Start Menu App List"

Hi,
    Why Cortana don't search hidden folder in Start Menu? I copied a folder that contains my portable apps shortcut, when I copy that folder to Start Menu folder [in ProgramData], Cortana lists that folder in Start Menu App List and Cortana search works but when I hide that folder [and hide from Start Menu App List, that I want to be hide in Start Menu App List] Cortana only shows my search result [for example, shows my portable app shortcut] but nothing work!!! when I click on portable app shortcut [that I put on that folder]. *Think

atinfo, Sep 3, 2022
Thema:

How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?

1. How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list? - Similar Threads - create folder start

2. How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?: I like to organise my programs apps hierarchically which was easy on Windows 7 I've just moved to Windows 10. I've tried writing to %programdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs and %appdata/..., and although I can see the folders that are there at the moment, adding...
  3. How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?: I like to organise my programs apps hierarchically which was easy on Windows 7. I've tried writing to %programdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs and %appdata/..., and although I can see the folders that are there at the moment, adding another folder has no effect....
  4. How to create a folder in Start Menu of Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to create a folder in Start Menu of Windows 11: [IMG]This post will show you how to create a folder in Windows 11 Start Menu. To do this you can use the drag-and-drop method as described here in this post. How to create a folder in Start Menu of Windows 11 If you’re Windows 11 user and would like to create a folder in the...
  5. Create folders in the start menu?

Create folders in the start menu?: I have tried creating a folder in every known location to get an additional folder to show up in the start menu so I can throw some games and what not under it...does anyone have any idea how to do this? I've tried creating a folder named "Games" in the following:...
  6. create folders in start menu to organize

create folders in start menu to organize: In W7 I have created folders in the start menu so I can organize by topic. I can't figure out if/how to do that in W10. Any clues? 7446
  7. How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?: I've tried the tutorial Here and it does not work. I'm trying to add the app 'DotA 2' and have put it in the \programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs and then restarted my PC. It is still not showing up. [img] [img] 12802
  8. can not hide app list in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    can not hide app list in start menu: Using windows 10 build 17063 I go to setting > personalization > start, now I off 'Show app list from start menu' But Whenever I exit the start personalization windows or go to other setting it automatic turn on 'Show app list from start menu' So i can not hide app...
  9. how to create sub-folders in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    how to create sub-folders in the start menu: I would like to organize my All Apps portion of the start menu in W10 as I did in W7. So far I have not figured out how to do this. There are a couple of problems. 1. Some programs just do not appear. I have one folder containing 3 shtcts. 2 appear and Uninstall does not. I...
  10. How do I add a new folder to the All Apps list in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I add a new folder to the All Apps list in start menu: Hiya...I created a new folder in the start menu folder but it does not show in the All Apps List? 58936