Windows 10: How can I create a note/comment text that appears when I hover over files in Win 10?

Discus and support How can I create a note/comment text that appears when I hover over files in Win 10? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm sure this is a thing I've seen done in the past and it would be a really useful feature for me now as I am building evidence/portfolio folders for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chruph, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Chruph Win User

How can I create a note/comment text that appears when I hover over files in Win 10?

I'm sure this is a thing I've seen done in the past and it would be a really useful feature for me now as I am building evidence/portfolio folders for a course I'm doing.

What I want is for any user of a shared folder to be able to float their cursor over any file in it word, pdf, jpg, whatever and see a little box with a short text description of the contents of the file.

I have seen other discussions that talk about ini files and adding comments in properties but these are too specific for my purpose.

I'd be most grateful for any help.

Thanks, Chris

:)

Chruph, Oct 28, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Oct 28, 2020
  3. How To Add Comments for Folders, PDF Files, MS Office Files, and Text Documents; Windows 10 (not 7)

Is it possible and how do you add Comments to the following kinds of files in Windows 10 (version 1709, the latest update):

• Folders
    • PDF files
    • Microsoft Office files (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
    • Text documents (txt and rtf)
    I thought this feature would become available in the latest Fall Creators update but it appears it is still unavailable.

I know how to right click on a file and see the properties and then go to the details tab. So far, it seems the only files that allow the user to add comments are:

• Music files
    • Photo files
    If adding comments is not available in Windows 10, then is there a workaround or software I can download or buy?

creativeguru, Oct 28, 2020
  4. RVer88 Win User

How can I create a note/comment text that appears when I hover over files in Win 10?

Windows version 1809 - excel displays new comment instead of insert comment

Did all of the steps you suggested and the drop down list still does not show "insert comment" HOWEVER when I select "new note" from the dropdown list, it works the same as "insert comment". I think the engineers changed the title. Also at the top
    of the excel screen is a field "tell me what you want to do"; if you type in insert comment, the insert comment window comes up and looks exactly like the window when you select "new note". As you suggested, I will send feedback to the engineers. Thank
    you for your help.

RVer88, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I create a note/comment text that appears when I hover over files in Win 10? - Similar Threads - create note comment

2. How can I get rid of the phantom text that appears when one hovers over a link, file, or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get rid of the phantom text that appears when one hovers over a link, file, or...: Having an issue where, repeatedly, a text box like the type one sees when mousing over an option before clicking it will appear on my screen and remain there, even after the program it came from has been closed, even after all windows are closed, and even after restarting...
  3. How can I get rid of the phantom text that appears when one hovers over a link, file, or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I get rid of the phantom text that appears when one hovers over a link, file, or...: Having an issue where, repeatedly, a text box like the type one sees when mousing over an option before clicking it will appear on my screen and remain there, even after the program it came from has been closed, even after all windows are closed, and even after restarting...
  4. Is there an app that can tag notes to a file, that can be quickly viewd by hovering over...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there an app that can tag notes to a file, that can be quickly viewd by hovering over...: Im having a very difficult time keeping track of multiple variations of audio projects. I easily loose track of projects, and cant find what i'm looking for. Even with just a few variations, it gets unmanageable for me. Being able to quickly see notes that I link to a file...
  5. Is there an app that can tag notes to a file, that can be quickly viewd by hovering over...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there an app that can tag notes to a file, that can be quickly viewd by hovering over...: Im having a very difficult time keeping track of multiple variations of audio projects. I easily loose track of projects, and cant find what i'm looking for. Even with just a few variations, it gets unmanageable for me. Being able to quickly see notes that I link to a file...
  6. Is there an app that can tag notes to a file, that can be quickly viewd by hovering over...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. My custom mouse cursor only appears when I hover over a text box

in Windows 10 Customization
    My custom mouse cursor only appears when I hover over a text box: So I recently got a custom mouse cursor and I realized that it only appeared when the mouse was hovering over a text box and when it was hovering over my desktop for example it would revert back to the default cursor. Is there a way I can make it so it will always appear as...
  8. Windows text is invisible (unless I hover over it)

Windows text is invisible (unless I hover over it): So recently I changed the settings to high contrast colors (From the windows lock screen) but quickly switched back to the normal settings. But after switching back to the normal colors, half the colors are in high contrast and the other half are not. This probably does...
  9. hyper text links showing when i hover over picture

hyper text links showing when i hover over picture: Hello everyone Thanks for reading this I am NOT SURE which "CATEGORY etc." this "should" be placed in, so I am sorry if it is in the wrong one. I have seen this question before BUT have NOT seen a creditable answer that seems to solve it YET. If anyone has the same...
  10. How can I disable the fullscreen preview when I hover over a taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I disable the fullscreen preview when I hover over a taskbar: Howdy, When I hover over an item on the taskbar, it gives me the little thumbnail preview of the program. This I'm OK with. However, when I then put my mouse on the thumbnail, it hides all the open programs and shows me that program as it would be if I clicked on it to...