Windows 10: How can I create a rescue USB stick for a Surface Pro 3 ?

Discus and support How can I create a rescue USB stick for a Surface Pro 3 ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The basic problem is that I have a Surface Pro 3 that is stuck in a loop trying to uninstall a recent update. It tries for some time, then reboots,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Andrew_Daviel, Feb 19, 2021.

1. How can I create a rescue USB stick for a Surface Pro 3 ?

The basic problem is that I have a Surface Pro 3 that is stuck in a loop trying to uninstall a recent update. It tries for some time, then reboots, then enters the same state.

I suspect that there is insufficient free space on the built-in SSD C:. I had thought to boot another OS, then move files to the SD card D: or to external storage.

I tried booting a CentOS Linux rescue disk, which would normally let me mount a drive, but it's ignored. By holding volume:+ with power up I got the UEFI screen and tried turning TPM off and changing the boot order to network,USB,SSD for a PXE boot but both the network and USB are ignored - no WiFi prompt for instance. I tried a USB Ethernet adapter, but it didn't work either.

I have a Linux desktop, and a laptop with Windows 8. I found instructions to create a Surface recovery image. I downloaded the image, but it's not an ISO or image I can just copy to the USB stick, it's a zipfile. I ran "Create a recovery drive" on the Windows laptop and was able to create a bootable USB drive. I unzipped the recovery image onto the drive and was then able to boot that on the Surface Pro.

I got an error message

\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD status 0xc000000f
    boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

I can't extract the configuration data from the Surface because I can't boot it.

I tried both the recovery images for " Windows 8.1" and "Windows 10 Version 1511" but they both gave the same error.

Is there somewhere I can download an actual bootable image or ISO I can copy to a USB stick with "dd" ?

:)

Andrew_Daviel, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

How can I create a rescue USB stick for a Surface Pro 3 ?

1. How can I create a rescue USB stick for a Surface Pro 3 ? - Similar Threads - create rescue USB

2. Surface pro 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 3: Hellomy surface pro 3 SSD drive has stopped working completely cannot reset it or even get to the point of reformatting it i have resetting it using the recovery media from Microsoft even the manual ISO file tried reformatting the drive using different apps and i just want...
  3. Surface pro 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface pro 3: Hellomy surface pro 3 SSD drive has stopped working completely cannot reset it or even get to the point of reformatting it i have resetting it using the recovery media from Microsoft even the manual ISO file tried reformatting the drive using different apps and i just want...
  4. How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick

in Windows 10 Support
    How can i create a uefi bootble iso of a uefi bootable usb stick: I had a legacy bootiso file (i think Linux based) which i made uefi bootable on a flash drive using Rufus. Now i am looking for a way to save this uefi bootable flas drive as a (uefi) bootable iso for archiving or to use with other programs like ventoy. It is NOT a windows...
  5. Rescue data from USB stick?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Rescue data from USB stick?: My USB stick is no longer recognized by my PC and all others and should be formatted. When I go to the disk management, the stick is displayed, but in RAW format and only with 8MB storage space although it has 2GB. Some data recovery programs like EaseUS or Recuva can't find...
  6. How can I restore pressure sensitivity to the surface pro 3?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I restore pressure sensitivity to the surface pro 3?: My pen pressure hasn't worked since downloading the latest wacom driver. I looked at the driver I installed and I noticed it was my fault: "Important for Microsoft Surface tablets: This driver does not support any version of the Microsoft Surface. To use Bamboo Ink on...
  7. It's necessary create a usb rescue disk?

in Windows 10 Support
    It's necessary create a usb rescue disk?: Hello, I want to know if it is necessary to create a rescue usb disk, in case windows 10 does not boot, if you already have the original windows 10 installation USB, downloaded through the media creator. Sorry for my English and thanks. 140034
  8. Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 3: Hi The Surface Pro tablets are brilliant and I have most probably been responsible to recommending many of them to friends following buy a Surface Pro 3 when they were released. Since a firmware update in recent times I have no issues and since then my keyboard if left...
  9. Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface Pro 3: Is there a app to turn my Surface Pro into a phone? Moved from: Surface / Surface Pro 3 / Install, update, and repair https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/surface-pro-3/3595d5eb-eefd-4427-81a5-68fc539fdff9
  10. surface pro 3

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    surface pro 3: lost admin rights on pc and surface pro3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/surface-pro-3/1fa4e483-afcb-4eec-9f85-15b3b50f064f