Windows 10: how can i create shortcut for old control panel w7

Discus and support how can i create shortcut for old control panel w7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need to setup old control panel (w7) on w10. how do u do a shortcut in w 10? 38346 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by k1jmf00, Jan 22, 2016.

1. k1jmf00 Win User

how can i create shortcut for old control panel w7

I need to setup old control panel (w7) on w10. how do u do a shortcut in w 10?

:)

k1jmf00, Jan 22, 2016
  2. Ed1-US Win User

Icon missing from Shortcut in Taskbar

I want to have a shortcut button on the Taskbar to open the Control Panel. I added a Control Panel shortcut to the Desktop and dragged it to the Taskbar. That created a Control Panel button/shortcut on the Taskbar, but the button/shortcut has no icon -
    it is just blank.

I have set the Taskbar setting for "Combine Taskbar buttons" to "Always, hide labels". If I change this setting to show the labels, the label for this Taskbar shortcut includes a small Control Panel icon. But it disappears when the setting is changed back
    to hide labels.

My other buttons/shortcuts in the Taskbar and in the Notification area all have appropriate icons.

How can I get an icon for the Control Panel in the Taskbar? I did have one displaying properly until I reset Windows 10.

Ed1-US, Jan 22, 2016
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    windows 10 creator

Hi Dumitru,

Just to clarify you concern, what do you mean by "How do I show my desktop icon on my computer"? Do want to create
    application shortcuts on your desktop, are the application shortcuts on your desktop hidden and you want to make them appear again, or do you want to create a shortcut of "This PC" on your desktop?

If you want to create a Control Panel shortcut on your desktop, follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start menu).
    • Scroll down to your list of application on your Start menu until you find
      Windows System
    • Select Windows System.
    • Under Windows System, you'll find Control Panel. To make a desktop shortcut of the Control Panel, click and hold Control Panel, and then drag and drop it on your desktop.
    If you want to simply access Control Panel, you can follow the steps above.

We'll be waiting to your reply.

Argel Obm, Jan 22, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

Start / All Apps / Windows System / Control Panel, right-click, select more, pin to Taskbar

Word Man, Jan 22, 2016
  5. Another option when right clicking on the desktop to select the create new shortcut option is to enter this into the new shortcut's target line "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe shell:ControlPanelFolder" without the quotations marks however. Another fast option besides the pinning from the Start>Windows System location Word Man pointed to is to right click and select the open file location option to again right click but on the CP thumbnail seen in the list to select the create new shortcut option there which will place the shortcut on the desktop.

how can i create shortcut for old control panel  w7 [​IMG]

This can later be dragged into a folder added onto the taskbar as a new Quick Launch type toolbar. The guide for creating new toolbars is found in the SF tutorial section there originally posted as the replacement for the limited Quick Launch portion of the XP or Vista main taskbar years back. Here I keep it in the "System" folder created for that purpose besides having a Quick bar and Utility bar added as well. That was one item carried over from 7 and tried on 8 as well as in use on 10.

Night Hawk, Jan 22, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    You can just right click start button and choose control panel.

Ok two clicks instead of one but hyardly a big deal.

cereberus, Jan 22, 2016
  7. Well from what k1jmf00 was asking a regular desktop shortcut was the item he needed help with. Whether that is simply left on the desktop or pinned to the Start menu or taskbar is left upto him there. The menu seen when going to right click on the Start button initially came from W8 and onto 8.1 from the lack of anything besides the Metro start screen and called up by a simple right click in the lower left hand corner while now it will depend on where you have the taskbar bottom, top, or on the left or right side.

Night Hawk, Jan 22, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

People often ask things like this without realising that there are often simple alternative approaches.

Are you suggesting we should only directly answer and never suggest alternative approaches?

cereberus, Jan 22, 2016
  9. I would never imply there aren't any other options depending on the type of question which was how to see a 7 like shortcut being the OP's original question. There are different methods to arrive at the same result which would be seeing a desktop shortcut created.

Since you no longer see the exact same layout with the 10 Start menu as you would have in 7 lilke the All Programs near the top compared to the AllApps seen at the bottom as one example and Settings are the new look while the Control Panel is hidden away on a menu you have to right click to find until MS does away with the CP entirely which is coming eventually the pinned icon for the CP if not having a regular shortcut allows the user to find it.

On the dual monitor setup here RocketDock toolbar(3rd party app) serves well for having the All Control Panel Items icon on that as well as being a hide away taskbar on the second display without the smart taskbar or cloned mirror of the main taskbar extended over. The 8 sidebar is also on 10 with the gadgets previously seen on 7 or 8 showing there are always alternatives. But what the OP was asking about is all too familiar the same thing as far as seeing the CP shortcut in the System addon toolbar(shortcut dragged in to folder at the root of C named system for various system related options) and pinned on the Start menu as well for immediate access when needed. For simply opening the CP the right click menu oh the other hand is what many would opt to use without having any shortcut.

Night Hawk, Jan 22, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 22, 2016
  11. Those will work just as easy there too! *Smile Eventually if MS does plan to do away with the Control Panel entirely which seems to be rumored then something new will be needed.

The right click menu on the Start button in 10 as well as the left end of the taskbar and into the corner with 8 and 8.1 were introduced due to the changes being seen for tablet and increased touchscreen support as the dual platform was being brought in. The Windows shell however still works in the same manner. The guides there of course are easy to follow with the shortcuts available for download as well.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. how can i create shortcut for old control panel w7 - Similar Threads - create shortcut old

2. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Customization
    at start I get old Control Panel panel: Somehow, recently I'm getting the old Windows Control Panel window when I click on Settings, not the regular Windows 10 window. I didn't knowingly make a switch, but how do I get the standard Settings back?...
  3. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    at start I get old Control Panel panel: Somehow, recently I'm getting the old Windows Control Panel window when I click on Settings, not the regular Windows 10 window. I didn't knowingly make a switch, but how do I get the standard Settings back?...
  4. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Control Panel Shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Control Panel Shortcut: Hi, How can I create a shortcut of Control Panel - Network and Internet - Network Connection? Thanks 182261
  6. How can I remove an invalid shortcut from Control Panel?

How can I remove an invalid shortcut from Control Panel?: Hi there, could you tell me how can I remove from the Control Panel an invalid shortcut for Nvidia Control Panel? It leads to Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client\nvcplui.exe - nor folder neither executive file nor longer exist there. I'd like to remove...
  7. How can I make a specific shortcut for a control panel path?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I make a specific shortcut for a control panel path?: I know you can right click desktop > new > shortcut > "ms-settings:security" But I want it to take me to the control panel, specifically to this path: "Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance" Is this possible? Thanks! submitted by /u/thedreamlan6...
  8. Control Panel Shortcut Key

Control Panel Shortcut Key: Is there a shortcut key to Control Panel? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-shortcut-key/f3288db2-f2c7-4f30-aee8-f001eb6258c1
  9. Create Control Panel Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Control Panel Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Control Panel Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Control Panel Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, there are a few different ways to find and change your settings: app settings, and search. You can use Control Panel to change...
  10. Create Control Panel All Tasks Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Control Panel All Tasks Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Control Panel All Tasks Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Control Panel All Tasks Shortcut in Windows 10 All Tasks is a list of all available Control Panel items on your PC. This tutorial will show you how to create or download a Control Panel All...