Windows 10: How can I delete a public network and replace with home one?

Discus and support How can I delete a public network and replace with home one? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Between broadband providers temporarily used local public network. Now want to go to new broadband providers' but can't find out how to delete the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MollieFletcher, Oct 8, 2018.

1. How can I delete a public network and replace with home one?

Between broadband providers temporarily used local public network. Now want to go to new broadband providers' but can't find out how to delete the temporary public network one.

Mollie K.

:)

MollieFletcher, Oct 8, 2018
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Windows 10 v1709 switches from Private to Public network

Hi Bruce,

It is possible that there is an issue with the network profiles of the computer and that can be the reason why the network always switches to Public network. We recommend that you delete all known network profiles to resolve the issue. To do this, follow
    these steps:

• Open command prompt as administrator.
    • In the command prompt window, type netsh wlan show profiles
      and press Enter.
    • Type netsh wlan delete profile name=[ProfileName] and press Enter.
    • Repeat the third step for the rest of network profiles you've seen after running the command in the second step.
    • Check if the network will still switch to Public.

Keep us posted.

Argel Obm, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Delete "hidden network"

Hi,

Deleting or Blocking available networks can only be done using Command Prompt. Follow the steps below:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Type netsh wlan add filter permission=block ssid="WLAN name"
      networtype=infrastructure (Replace WLAN name with "hidden network" or the name of the wireless network you want to block) and press
      Enter.
    • Close Command Prompt.
    To remove/delete the network from the block list. Replace "add" with "delete" on the command in step two.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Oct 8, 2018
  4. How can I delete a public network and replace with home one?

Network showing as public

Hi Connor,

By default, the public network location type is assigned to any new networks when they are first connected. A public network is considered to be shared with the world, with no protection between the local computer and any other computer. Therefore,
    the Windows Firewall rules associated with the public profile are the most restrictive.

To change settings from public to private, follow the steps below:

• Open the Locale Security Policy.
    • In the left pane, click/tap on Network List Manager Policies.
    • In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on your network name
    • Click/tap on the Network Location tab.
    • Under Location type, select Private.
    • Under User permissions, select (dot) User cannot change location.
    • Click/tap on OK, and close Local Security Policy.

Note: You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the network location of a network adapter.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Martin Bar, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

How can I delete a public network and replace with home one?

1. How can I delete a public network and replace with home one? - Similar Threads - delete public network

2. How can I delete a Public Desktop shortcut without deleting the linked program?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I delete a Public Desktop shortcut without deleting the linked program?: When trying to delete some application shortcuts while running as a standard user, I receive a UAC prompt asking me for admin credentials to delete the linked program file rather than the shortcut .lnk file itself. e.g.How can I delete only the shortcut file?...
  3. How can I delete a Public Desktop shortcut without deleting the linked program?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I delete a Public Desktop shortcut without deleting the linked program?: When trying to delete some application shortcuts while running as a standard user, I receive a UAC prompt asking me for admin credentials to delete the linked program file rather than the shortcut .lnk file itself. e.g.How can I delete only the shortcut file?...
  4. Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi will connect to a local public network but not to my home network.: My PC will connect to a local public network but not my home network, all my other devices will connect to my home network without issue. I have tried everything I can think of to try and fix the problem, I have reset my home network multiple times, I have reset and updated...
  5. Network credentials - How I Can delete?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network credentials - How I Can delete?: Hello, I am having trouble deleting remembered network credentials from 2 computers. Computers are in the domain. To get to one of the directories on a network drive, you had to provide network credentials. It was marked during the application that he would remember them. Now...
  6. Network credentials - How I Can delete?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network credentials - How I Can delete?: Hello, I am having trouble deleting remembered network credentials from 2 computers. Computers are in the domain. To get to one of the directories on a network drive, you had to provide network credentials. It was marked during the application that he would remember them. Now...
  7. Network credentials - How I Can delete?

8. Delete home network

Delete home network: How do I delete a home network and set up a new one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-home-network/39b88c3c-90d3-4cc8-817e-c655f5c8400a
  9. How can I change the Public setting of Network

How can I change the Public setting of Network: setting to Private in Windows 10 Pro Version 1803. I have tried Networking through settings, deleting and re-installing the router and through the netsh interface. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone help? All the internet answers relate to previous versions of Windows 10 which...
  10. One router,two networks, one public, one private

One router,two networks, one public, one private: I have a dual band router which I run with two SSIDS one for the 2.4GHz band (gaudi) and one for the 5GHz band (gaudi-5G). It also has ethernet ports. A laptop I just built has connected OK to gaudi-5G and the ethernet and recognises them both as one network which W10 has...