Windows 10: How can I delete files/folders from my computer after they are already backed up to OneDrive?

Discus and support How can I delete files/folders from my computer after they are already backed up to OneDrive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How can I delete files/folders from my computer after they are already backed up to OneDrive? All of the space on my PC is just about gone. I'm not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by michelledeneebaker, Jan 23, 2021.

1. How can I delete files/folders from my computer after they are already backed up to OneDrive?

How can I delete files/folders from my computer after they are already backed up to OneDrive? All of the space on my PC is just about gone. I'm not sure which files/folders I can safely delete without deleting them from OneDrive too. Help!

:)

michelledeneebaker, Jan 23, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Error while deleting file/folders

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply with the following details to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps:

• Which files/folders are you trying to delete?
    • What is the exact error message you receive?
    • Are you trying to delete the files from OneDrive or your computer?

If you are facing issues in deleting files from OneDrive, you can refer the steps mentioned in the article

Delete files or folders in OneDrive

You can also get in touch with the OneDrive support team they will look into this for you and help you accordingly. Follow the below steps to contact the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 23, 2021
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused How can I delete files/folders from my computer after they are already backed up to OneDrive? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well How can I delete files/folders from my computer after they are already backed up to OneDrive? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jan 23, 2021
  4. PwgAndE Win User

How can I delete files/folders from my computer after they are already backed up to OneDrive?

Backing Up OneDrive Folder with File History

I am backing two computers - a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10 - to an external hard drive via File History. On each computer, the majority of our files are in a OneDrive folder, so I have included OneDrive on the list of folders to back
    up. On the desktop, all subfolders in the OneDrive folder back up just fine (Erika's Pictures, Erika's Music, Erika's Documents). On the laptop, Peter's Music and Peter's Documents back up, but Peter's Pictures does not. To get it to back up, I have to manually,
    separately, add it to the list of folders that File History includes. Obviously, this is easy enough to do, but I don't understand why it is happening or how to fix it. Any ideas? Thank you.

PwgAndE, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

How can I delete files/folders from my computer after they are already backed up to OneDrive?

1. How can I delete files/folders from my computer after they are already backed up to OneDrive? - Similar Threads - delete files folders

2. How to exclude a folder from being backed up by OneDrive without deleting it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to exclude a folder from being backed up by OneDrive without deleting it: Hey there, I've come across this OneDrive problem. When I deselect a folder in the "Manage backup" window on the "Account" tab in the OneDrive settings, it says that it'll delete the folder locally but keep it online. I want to keep my folder on the laptop and delete it...
  3. Syncing with onedrive deleted files from my computer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Syncing with onedrive deleted files from my computer?: I started to syncing with onedrive and it started deleting files from my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/syncing-with-onedrive-deleted-files-from-my/26607600-6250-4a4c-90cb-8c311f8a63c6
  4. How do I get my files back from onedrive

How do I get my files back from onedrive: This is idiotic. All my files have moved to onedrive and I WANT THEM BACK ON MY PC. How do I unscrew my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-my-files-back-from-onedrive/9ee9e01b-afc3-4a2d-be54-401d4e44cc61
  5. How can I remove something from OneDrive without deleting it on my computer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I remove something from OneDrive without deleting it on my computer?: It’s seriously frustrating. I have a folder on my local computer with a few files that are too big to sync, but OneDrive tries anyways. If I try to exclude the folder from syncing I get an error because the files aren’t synced yet. Of course they aren’t. I’ve read that I...
  6. Backing up the OneDrive folder...

Backing up the OneDrive folder...: Hello guys, I am trying to create a local backup for my OneDrive folder on my external hard drive. Here is the problem: My OneDrive folder is about 800 GB in size, but most of them are only placeholder files on my device online-only files for which a placeholder has been...
  7. Can you delete a backed up file? If so, how?

Can you delete a backed up file? If so, how?: Can you delete a backed up file? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up/c6d68a69-b873-4ebb-a39e-7106c2165060
  8. Is there any way to get deleted files from onedrive back onto my computer?

Is there any way to get deleted files from onedrive back onto my computer?: I accidentally deleted heaps of files from file explorer, and they are now in Onedrive only. I realise that you can access the files in Onedrive (I assume), but when i go to play a steam game it is completely reset, because the .exe file and my progress are in different...
  9. How can I get back stuff I deleted everywhere in my OneDrive?

How can I get back stuff I deleted everywhere in my OneDrive?: I deleted all of my pictures and videos folder and put it all into DropBox and I'm having issues trying to bring everything from DropBox back into my OneDrive. I even deleted it from the OneDrive Bins 1-2....
  10. Onedrive deleting files from computer

Onedrive deleting files from computer: Since some of my games and other stuff stores itself in areas like Documents and Desktop. OneDrive decides to sync all of that and then tell me that my OneDrive doesn't have any space left. So, what I do is delete files from OneDrive, expecting that it deletes the file from...