Windows 10: How can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:)

Discus and support How can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Some context: Initially, I only had the C: drive as my Local Disk drive. Then months ago, I had a tech guy fix some problems with my computer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DMQ932, Mar 2, 2020.

1. /u/DMQ932 Win User

How can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:)

Some context:

Initially, I only had the C: drive as my Local Disk drive.

Then months ago, I had a tech guy fix some problems with my computer, install some apps and an additional RAM stick, but didn’t watch him working so didn’t know what was going on. It seems like the guy transferred all of my data (including apps, files, etc.) to D: drive and reinstall the apps. After that, I have my C: drive storing everything I’m using, and D: drive as a backup (?) with data from the past, most of which is the same as what’s in the C: drive. Both are named Local Disk. Here’s what’s contained in my D: drive.

However, I don’t think I’m gonna need that backup in the future, so I want to delete all the files in D: drive. Deleting installed app folders (I also have these folders in CHow can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:) :) was fine, but I struggle with deleting apps protected by TrustedInstaller (e.g. microsoft shared folder in Common Files, WindowsPowerShell folder, Public folder in Users, etc.)

I’m not sure if I’m supposed to delete any of those, but I also have a duplicate in C: drive. I saw people online suggest claiming ownership then deleting, but all I could do was to switch ownership from TrustedInstaller to Administrator. When I pressed delete, I was able to give administrative permission, but this still showed up.

I also tried to rename the file to Window.old and try Disk cleanup, but couldn’t rename bc a similar box appeared.

In the Users folder, I was able to delete User subfolder, but not the Public.

So in sort, my D: drive is now a bit messed up, and I just wanna delete it all but can’t. Is there any ways for me to do this? Is it okay to delete these protected files as there are already duplicates in C: drive?

Every attempt I described here was in D: drive only. Deleting/changing ownership files in D: drive did not affect the similar files in C: drive.

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/DMQ932
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DMQ932, Mar 2, 2020
  2. cereberus Win User

Will my files on Local Disk (DHow can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:) :) get deleted if i reinstall Windows 10

Suggest you back up REALLY CRITICAL files to cloud as well, just in case things go pearshaped.

cereberus, Mar 2, 2020
  3. Local Disk D:

I continue to get messages telling me that my local disk D: is full. It asks me if I want to do a disk clean up. When I say yes, it takes me to disk clean up, but there is nothing showing that is on locak disk D:. It shows that I have plenty of space
    and nothing gets deleted off of it.

What is actually stored on local disk D: and why am I getting this message if nothing is showing on it when I go to disk clean up?

CandyB1020, Mar 2, 2020
  4. How can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:)

local disk How can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:) :D

my computer created the local disk How can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:) :D partition, automatically. Windows is always notifying me to free some space of the disk but when I open the folder of the local disk How can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:) :D it says that it don't have any information but it's full. What do I can do for solving
    this issue?

Thanks, Zuley

ZuleyBetancourt, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

How can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:)

1. How can I delete protected files in Local Disk (D:) - Similar Threads - delete protected files

2. extending local disk D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    extending local disk D: I am trying to extend local disk c. There is no unallocated space in the right of C. I have a local disk D which cannot delete or formatgreyed. kindly help. Also i keep getting ERROR 0x80070057 whenever I try to transfer files from C to create space...
  3. extending local disk D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    extending local disk D: I am trying to extend local disk c. There is no unallocated space in the right of C. I have a local disk D which cannot delete or formatgreyed. kindly help. Also i keep getting ERROR 0x80070057 whenever I try to transfer files from C to create space...
  4. extending local disk D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I recover my local disk D?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I recover my local disk D?: Hi,I have a terrible problem, I formated my laptop, there were many local disks, I deleted them, among them Local Disk D it has important files for me. How can I recover my local disk D? Please, help me!...
  6. How can I recover my local disk D?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I recover my local disk D?: Hi,I have a terrible problem, I formated my laptop, there were many local disks, I deleted them, among them Local Disk D it has important files for me. How can I recover my local disk D? Please, help me!...
  7. Can I Delete Local Disk Drives?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I Delete Local Disk Drives?: I have two local disk drives R (used 6.38GB) and W (182MB) that appeared after I attempted to install BitLocker. I changed my mind and stopped the install before it was finished. My question is, can I delete them without harm to my computer? Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909 (OS...
  8. local disk d

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    local disk d: hi, i need some help, please help.... the problem is my hp laptop's local disk d is corrupted.... when I try to open it, it says that i have to format the disk.. And when I click format a blue screen appear.. and the stop code : KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.. please...
  9. Will my files on Local Disk (D:) get deleted if i reinstall Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will my files on Local Disk (D:) get deleted if i reinstall Windows 10: Hi, Is it safe to use Local Disk (D*Smile as my backup storage? i don't have an extra HDD so i want to transfer my files from (C*Smile to (D*Smile instead but i'm worried Windows might delete them if i do the reinstallation. 36200
  10. Can I install windows 10 on local disk D?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I install windows 10 on local disk D?: And can i install windows 7 sp1 on local disk D too? 61010