Windows 10: How can I delete $Windows.~BT\NewOS (usual methods don't work)

Discus and support How can I delete $Windows.~BT\NewOS (usual methods don't work) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I know this has been asked and answered many times, but I'm still having problems. I used windows disk cleanup of system files and this deleted all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by pmennen, Mar 20, 2020.

1. pmennen Win User

How can I delete $Windows.~BT\NewOS (usual methods don't work)

I know this has been asked and answered many times, but I'm still having problems.

I used windows disk cleanup of system files and this deleted all the folders inside $Windows.~BT except for one (NewOS), but this is a large folder (13.46G containing 84,503 files)!. Disk cleanup never gives me an option to delete old versions of windows. I have tried deleting stuff inside the NewOS folder but I always get "permission denied" despite using all the suggested attrib, takeown, and icacls commands. I've also tried to give myself ownership with full control using the security tab (from folder properties) but it "failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied."

I have reason to suspect that the NewOS folder is corrupt, but chkdsk and the windows disk scanner all say that there are no disk problems. I also ran the IObit disk checker and it also said that the disk was fine.

Is there a way to delete $Windows.~BT/NewOS even if the folder is corrupted?

Thanks
    ~Paul

:)

pmennen, Mar 20, 2020
  2. pmennen Win User

I know this has been asked and answered many times, but I'm still having problems.

I used windows disk cleanup of system files and this deleted all the folders inside $Windows.~BT except for one (NewOS), but this is a large folder (13.46G containing 84,503 files)!. Disk cleanup never gives me an option to delete old versions of windows. I have tried deleting stuff inside the NewOS folder but I always get "permission denied" despite using all the suggested attrib, takeown, and icacls commands. I've also tried to give myself ownership with full control using the security tab (from folder properties) but it "failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied."

I have reason to suspect that the NewOS folder is corrupt, but chkdsk and the windows disk scanner all say that there are no disk problems. I also ran the IObit disk checker and it also said that the disk was fine.

Is there a way to delete $Windows.~BT/NewOS even if the folder is corrupted?

Thanks
    ~Paul

pmennen, Mar 20, 2020
  3. cannot delete $WINDOWS.~BT open in another program

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM87EF~1.0_N\CompositeBus.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AMD64_~2.106\BasicDisplay.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AMD64_~3.106\BasicRender.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AMD64_~2.351\hidclass.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AMD64_~2.351\hidparse.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AMD64_~2.351\hidusb.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM7E29~1.0_N\swenum.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AMB085~1.0_N\uefi.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AMBE12~1.0_N\hdaudbus.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM0AF0~1.351\ahcache.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM7B89~1.0_N\beep.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM0D31~1.351\crashdmp.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM3E5F~1.0_N\Diskdump.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM90AE~1.479\fastfat.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM3A52~1.953\ks.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM7708~1.119\dxgkrnl.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AMC8E0~1.0_N\msfs.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AMFF81~2.0_N\NdisVirtualBus.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM1B6B~1.0_N\netbt.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM0219~1.0_N\npfs.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM1E45~1.479\ntdll.dll - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM5A7C~1.0_N\null.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM17B2~1.0_N\dumpfve.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM3E9D~1.206\dumpfve.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AMB13B~1.0_N\smss.exe - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM4319~2.0_N\tdi.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AMB034~1.953\tdx.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM97ED~1.0_N\watchdog.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AMA57D~1.351\afd.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM8A5B~1.953\storahci.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM76F4~1.0_N\mssmbios.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AME50A~1.0_N\rdpbus.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AME731~1.0_N\umbus.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM16C9~1.0_N\drmk.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM16C9~1.0_N\portcls.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM478A~1.0_N\wmiacpi.sys - Access is denied.

C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\WO04CD~1.479\ntdll.dll - Access is denied.

all them cannot be deleted i decided to do it with console and show you that command error ^^^

sonnybateman, Mar 20, 2020
  4. TAB4217 Win User

Creating Windows 10 media error code: 0x80070017-0xA001B

I deleted $Windows.~WS, then tried to delete $Windows.~BT, got:

15341 items recycled
    Time remaining: More than a day
    Items remaining: 0 (0 bytes)

Weird: More than a day to delete 0 bytes? So, I executed the batch file (as you suggested)

takeown /F C:\$Windows.~BT\* /R /A
    icacls C:\$Windows.~BT\*.* /T /grant administrators:F
    rmdir /S /Q C:\$Windows.~BT\

It did something; then, I got many like these, even though I was running shell as administrator:
    C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\ink\tiptsf.dll - Access is denied.
    C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\System32\wsock32.dll - Access is denied.
    C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM3242~1.1_E\bthprops.cpl.mui - Access is denied.
    C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\AM3540~1.356\MicrosoftEdge.exe - Access is denied.
    C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\WinSxS\X8BCCA~1.0_N\System.Transactions.dll - Access is denied.

So, I tried to delete (as administrator) folder NewOS, and failed:

Folder in Use
    The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program.
    So, your Method 1 failed.
    Method 2, step 5 is: Rename the file as AllowOSUpgrade
    But… If OSUpgrade were not allowed for some reason, would the program not tell me that from the start, instead of telling me 'We're not sure what happened'?
    What is the meaning of error code: 0x80070017-0xA001B?

TAB4217, Mar 20, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I delete $Windows.~BT\NewOS (usual methods don't work) - Similar Threads - delete $Windows ~BTNewOS

2. How to delete a keyboard input method

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete a keyboard input method: I have Windows set to English, but my keyboard is Spanish. I would like to remove the English keyboard input method but I can't, it is quite annoying as every time I restart the PC the default input method is English and I have to change it....
  3. How to delete a keyboard input method

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete a keyboard input method: I have Windows set to English, but my keyboard is Spanish. I would like to remove the English keyboard input method but I can't, it is quite annoying as every time I restart the PC the default input method is English and I have to change it....
  4. How to delete Ekaya Input Method

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to delete Ekaya Input Method: I have previously installed something called Ekaya Input Method. https://thanlwinsoft.github.io/www.thanlwinsoft.org/ThanLwinSoft/Ekaya/ However, as shown in the attached image, the input method appears in the language switch bar. I often find that the input method is...
  5. Fingerprint usually don't work

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Fingerprint usually don't work: I'm using HP Probook 450 G5, and it have fingerprint sensor. But Window Hello usually cannot find it. The strange thing is that sometimes Windows still recognize the fingerprint sensor until i shutdown my laptop. What could I do?...
  6. Fingerprint usually don't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fingerprint usually don't work: I'm using HP Probook 450 G5, and it have fingerprint sensor. But Window Hello usually cannot find it. The strange thing is that sometimes Windows still recognize the fingerprint sensor until i shutdown my laptop. What could I do?...
  7. Fingerprint usually don't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How to shut down without updating. Usual options don't work.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to shut down without updating. Usual options don't work.: I've got a broken update that is trying to install itself when I shut down or restart. Used to be just on the restart. Every time I try to update, it goes until about 80% and then breaks. Reverting to pre-update and the computer is still trying to update. Edit: Won't let me...
  9. Don't work windows defender I can not to enable

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Don't work windows defender I can not to enable: I can not to enable windows defender dont work firewall nor security center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dont-work-windows-defender-i-can-not-to-enable/4e5ed153-2b4c-4ea7-9556-4d406aa71f64
  10. BSOD Troubleshooting Methods Don't Work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD Troubleshooting Methods Don't Work: For about two weeks now, I have spent my free time trying to troubleshoot my custom built PC after ending up on the BSOD. The error only reads CRITICAL PROCESS ERROR and that's it. I have no idea whether its a storage drive problem or another problem, but I believe it is one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. NewOS folder

2. can i delete newos folder

3. newOS $Windows.~BT