Windows 10: How can I disable Edge from opening .pdf files?

Discus and support How can I disable Edge from opening .pdf files? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; As the title says, how can I disable edge from opening .pdf files and use Adobe reader instead? I have set Adobe as the default program to open .pdf... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Sven1458, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Sven1458 Win User

How can I disable Edge from opening .pdf files?

As the title says, how can I disable edge from opening .pdf files and use Adobe reader instead?
    I have set Adobe as the default program to open .pdf files, but edge is still trying to open them, sometimes without success.
    Thanks
    Sven

:)

Sven1458, Mar 11, 2016

2. Windows 10 Edge overiding Adobe software, PDF forms no longer fillable.

Now that I have Windows 10 when I want to open a fillable PDF from the internet, it opens in Edge not my Adobe Acrobat Standard 9 program and thus is now not a fillable PDF. How do I disable Edge from opening PDFs?

STEPHANIE NEIS CPA, Mar 11, 2016
  3. John 126 Win User
    Disabling Adobe PDF from Microsoft Edge

When I accepted the Windows 10 upgrade, I gave Microsoft Edge a try instead of Internet Explorer. Going through the setup options for Edge, I selected use Edge to open PDF files thinking I needed this option with the new Edge browser. Since then all my
    Adobe files on my hard drive open with Edge only. I have full Adobe on my hard drive, have tried to go in and disable this Edge connection but no luck. Can someone tell me how to a) uninstall Edge or b) disable requiring Edge to open a PDF. I have tried Open
    With options and restore previous versions, changing all from Edge to Adobe, but my hard drive continues to convert all PDF files to open with Edge first. Also went into Adobe program and made correct settings active. How do I disable this Edge connection?
    Help please.

John 126, Mar 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, how have you tried to set Adobe as the default program?
    How have you verified that it is the default?
    Does your default change on reboot?

(It will really help if you can answer those 3)

1. From Win 8 on you can't do that from within a program (tho you won't usually get any indication your attempt will not be saved on reboot).

2. There are several ways to set a default.
    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

(Note: I have Sumatra set as my reader- it opens very quickly).

3 In general some people have experienced defaults being reset to MS defaults on restart, through having e.g.old version Winzip installed, or (some) after a particular MS update.

dalchina, Mar 11, 2016
  5. Sven1458 Win User
    dalchina,
    to set the default, I right click on a .pdf file and select adobe reader and click on always use this program and click OK.
    after that when I click on a pdf file it opens with adobe reader, even after a reboot.
    that all works fine till I open Edge. Edge wants to open my pdf files when I am on line, and for some reason I get : oops, something happend and it can not open it.
    that is why I want to change that. is there a way to prevent Edge from opening my pdf files?
    Thanks
    Sven

Sven1458, Mar 11, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I think then you're talking about the issue- much discussed in several threads in this forum (searching is a great way to find answers)- where
    a. Edge has no plugin capability
    b. You are using Edge and looking at pdf's on line (rather than saved to your PC) and your default reader cannot be used within Edge- because of (a).

Here are some of the threads on this which I've found for you (feel free to search for more e.g.
    Adobe Edge
    Edge pdf

Note this one which was surprising if it really addressed this
    Solved How to set default pdf reader - Windows 10 Forums
    (I don't use Edge so I'd rather forgotten this one, which now puzzles me in that setting the default from within the program shouldn't work, in fact).

Otherwise: forget Edge and use a different browser (which is actually the outcome I'd expect)
    How do I disable the useless Edge PDF Reader??? - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums
    How do I disable the useless Edge PDF Reader???

dalchina, Mar 11, 2016
  7. Sven1458 Win User
    I tried all the solutions given in the referenced links, but there apparently is no way to change EDGE to accept an adobe plugin.
    so I have to go to IE11 and open it from there.
    Thanks
    Sven

ps I mark this as solved for now

Sven1458, Mar 12, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I disable Edge from opening .pdf files? - Similar Threads - disable Edge opening

2. how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??: everytime i change the default Pdf viewer after couple of restart edge became again the main pdf viewer, how can i stop that ??thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-edge-to-open-pdf-files/305cdbe3-8e9b-4c88-9d49-48a90904b2eb
  3. how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??: everytime i change the default Pdf viewer after couple of restart edge became again the main pdf viewer, how can i stop that ??thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-edge-to-open-pdf-files/305cdbe3-8e9b-4c88-9d49-48a90904b2eb
  4. how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to Enable or Disable Open PDF files in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Open PDF files in Microsoft Edge: When you click/tap on a link for a PDF file in Microsoft Edge, the PDF file will open in Microsoft Edge using the internal PDF viewer by default. If you turn off Always open PDF files externally, Microsoft Edge treats PDF files as downloads and lets users open them with the...
  6. Saving a PDF file opened in Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving a PDF file opened in Edge: Until recently, a file opened in Edge could be saved by "right clicking", selecting "Save" and then saving to the target directory on Surface. Now the "Save" functionality is greyed out i.e. saving is not possible so you have to print to PDF which takes longer. Any idea...
  7. Microsoft Edge will not open PDF files from a websites

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge will not open PDF files from a websites: Microsoft Edge will not open PDF files from a forum that has a thread with a pdf file attached. It wants me to save the pdf to my HD instead. I'm using Adobe Reader and this is the first I have noticed this change. Edge Version 80.361.62 64bit The Extension App shows pdf...
  8. Couldn’t open PDF in Edge, Something’s keeping this PDF from the opening

in Windows 10 News
    Couldn’t open PDF in Edge, Something’s keeping this PDF from the opening: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 uses Microsoft Edge as a default web browser. This new built-in browser is replaced with the older Internet Explorer for its performance and features. Apart from serving a default browser, Microsoft Edge acts as a default PDF viewer [...] This...
  9. Suggestions to Open .PDF Files (Not Edge)

in Windows 10 Support
    Suggestions to Open .PDF Files (Not Edge): My Windows 7 desktop came with Nuance pdf Reader installed. My Windows 10 default is Edge, but I don't like it and I use Internet Explorer 11 for a browser. Can you suggest a pdf Reader? Thanks, cb 119456
  10. open pdf files using Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    open pdf files using Edge: I cannot open a PDF online. I am using Win 10 and Adobe Acrobat 9. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/open-pdf-files-using-edge/c94f483d-1aba-4fca-acad-949ae4d5e628