Windows 10: How can I disable the WIN-Space shortcut for switching languages?

Discus and support How can I disable the WIN-Space shortcut for switching languages? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I frequently hit the WIN-Space key combo by mistake. How can I disable this key combo which switches from the ENG DVORAK to the ENG US keyboard setup?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RussPalmeri, Mar 29, 2020.

1. How can I disable the WIN-Space shortcut for switching languages?

I frequently hit the WIN-Space key combo by mistake. How can I disable this key combo which switches from the ENG DVORAK to the ENG US keyboard setup?
    Thanks,

Russ P.

:)

RussPalmeri, Mar 29, 2020
  2. AndreyT Win User

Hot key for changing languages (Win+Spacebar) disabled?

AFAIK, Win+Space combination has never been listed as a user-selectable option for switching languages. It is a "built-in" combination for the integrated Windows 8/10 language indicator (the one that says "ENG" instead of "EN"). It is supposed to work always, unconditionally, regardless of what other combination you select.

What I don't immediately know is what is supposed to happen if you switch from the new integrated language indicator back to the classic XP/Windows 7-style dockable language bar (the one that says "EN"). Is that supposed to disable Win+Space combo or not?

So, are you using the old-style language bar on your computer? If so, this might be the reason why Win+Space no longer works.

AndreyT, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Windows 10 disable specific input language from switching shortcut

On Windows 10 I frequently use [Win Key] + Space to switch between input languages which is great. I have 3 input languages installed, so hitting that combination each time switches between each one.

For two of the languages, I use them 99% of the time, whereas the third one I only use 1% of the time, but I still occasionally need to use it. Is it possible to disable the third language (or specific languages for that matter) from being switchable using the [Win Key] + Space shortcut so I can avoid having to go pass that option each time?

I know I can set specific hotkey combos for each language, but none of them are as quick and easy as using [Win Key] + Space.

Edit: One way of course is to remove the 3rd language, and only install it when I need to. But that is very inconvenient for us superusers and will surely negate all the time previously saved by switching between the main 2 languages using the shortcut keys.

fortuneRice, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Mywk Win User

How can I disable the WIN-Space shortcut for switching languages?

Disable switching keyboard shortcut key (Win + Space bar) on Windows 10

Note: This is a discussion/feedback and not a question as disabling the switching keyboard short key is currently impossible without installing third party applications.

It has been more than 4 years now since the
    first
    question was asked on the Microsoft forums, without a valid answer, two years later exactly the same

question
    but for Windows 10, suggested "solution" was to disable ALL the Windows keys.

Personally, from the 52 Windows Key combinations, there's simply one that was the biggest possible mistake, why would anyone in the world think it would be wise to make it that the Windows Key and the Space Bar would change keyboard layouts?

For the regular user this is already problematic if you have more than one keyboard layout installed, for a programmer this is the ultimate nightmare.

If you're wondering how to "fix" this problem, you have to install Autohotkey to override the key combination, which is not ideal at all.

We are not asking Microsoft to give us the ability to re-map Windows key combinations natively (which would be the perfect solution), but at least the ability to use another key combination for this absolutely horrendous combination.

It would be nice to have an official solution from Microsoft, this feature was requested a lot of times in the past and is still a problem that affects EVERY user using more than 1 keyboard layout.

Thema:

How can I disable the WIN-Space shortcut for switching languages?

1. How can I disable the WIN-Space shortcut for switching languages? - Similar Threads - disable Space shortcut

2. Disable Win+Spacebar Keyboard language switch?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Win+Spacebar Keyboard language switch?: How can I disable win + spacebar switch keyboard language. NOT all shortcuts, NOT win + spacebar shortcut as it is im using it for power tools search.JUST disable it from switching my keyboard language....
  3. Disable Win+Spacebar Keyboard language switch?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Win+Spacebar Keyboard language switch?: How can I disable win + spacebar switch keyboard language. NOT all shortcuts, NOT win + spacebar shortcut as it is im using it for power tools search.JUST disable it from switching my keyboard language....
  4. Disable WINDOWS + Space Bar shortcut to switch between languages

Disable WINDOWS + Space Bar shortcut to switch between languages: Hi, I'm on Windows 11 and recently noticed the shortcut "Windows + Space Bar" will switch between my computer's languages and keyboard layout. Shortcut used to be ALT + Shift and could be disabled by going into Time & Language > Typing > Advanced keyboard settings > Language...
  5. Disable WINDOWS + Space Bar shortcut to switch between languages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable WINDOWS + Space Bar shortcut to switch between languages: Hi, I'm on Windows 11 and recently noticed the shortcut "Windows + Space Bar" will switch between my computer's languages and keyboard layout. Shortcut used to be ALT + Shift and could be disabled by going into Time & Language > Typing > Advanced keyboard settings > Language...
  6. Windows11 switch language hotkeys win+space not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11 switch language hotkeys win+space not working: Hi, I just get my new windows11 on a new laptop. But it seems the win+space hotkey is not working. And I can't switch from alt+shift to that hotkey combination. The options are very limited.Also the shortcut for screenshot in windows 10 shift+win+s is also not working.Please...
  7. Windows11 switch language hotkeys win+space not working

Windows11 switch language hotkeys win+space not working: Hi, I just get my new windows11 on a new laptop. But it seems the win+space hotkey is not working. And I can't switch from alt+shift to that hotkey combination. The options are very limited.Also the shortcut for screenshot in windows 10 shift+win+s is also not working.Please...
  8. Is there a way to disable the shortcut to switch the keyboard language?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to disable the shortcut to switch the keyboard language?: Thanks so much. submitted by /u/MrbadboySNIPEOG [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mn6yj6/is_there_a_way_to_disable_the_shortcut_to_switch/
  9. Disable switching keyboard shortcut key (Win + Space bar) on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable switching keyboard shortcut key (Win + Space bar) on Windows 10: Note: This is a discussion/feedback and not a question as disabling the switching keyboard short key is currently impossible without installing third party applications. It has been more than 4 years now since the first question was asked on the Microsoft forums, without a...
  10. How do I disable keyboard language switching shortcut (CTRL + LSHIFT)

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I disable keyboard language switching shortcut (CTRL + LSHIFT): It's kind of annoying because I don't use special characters like Áá, Éé ever in my life, and especially after my gaming session. While in games I tend to use CTRL and LSHIFT quite a lot and often times the 2 buttons are being held down simultaneously. The keyboard language...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. language change hotkey disable windows key space