Windows 10: How can I disable Windows Media Player's Native FLAC support?

Discus and support How can I disable Windows Media Player's Native FLAC support? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a way to disable Windows Media Player's new native FLAC support, so I can use external codecs such as LAV filters with it again, as well as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bergqvistjl, Jul 28, 2015.

1. How can I disable Windows Media Player's Native FLAC support?

Is there a way to disable Windows Media Player's new native FLAC support, so I can use external codecs such as LAV filters with it again, as well as 3rd party metadata plugins like WMP Plus?

When using the native FLAC support, basic metadata tags for flac files are not added to the library, such as the Year & Contributing Artist field - whereas WMP Plus imported those over without any problem... However they now refuse to work with WMP as it detects that WMP now supports it, so how can i turn that support off? I've disabled Windows Media Foundation but that's not made any difference for FLAC files, it's still playing those natively.

:)

bergqvistjl, Jul 28, 2015
  2. chcolter Win User

FLAC & Media Player in Windows 10

Here is what I have learned so far. Windows 10 implementation of FLAC is flawed and needs to be fixed. Windows 10 does not support all of the FLAC format tags. Everyone who runs across this issue needs to report this to Microsoft through the feedback
    tool. Then they may fix it.

When Windows failed to recognise the tags, I went the old way for getting FLAC to work in Windows. In Windows 7 I used a program called WMP Tag Plus. They know of the issue and give instructions on how to fix this problem listed below.... You have to actually
    disable Native FLAC support and install the WMP Tag Plus to correct the problem. The instructions seem complicated but they worked fine for me.

You can download this add-in for Windows Media Player at this link. Any good codec pack will also work if it has FLAC support.

BM-productions

Is WMP Tag Plus compatible with my system?

WMP Tag Plus supports Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10.

The plug-in should also still work fine with Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Vista, but that combination isn't officially supported anymore.

Why am I experiencing issues with FLAC tags on Windows 10?
    Microsoft has added native FLAC support in Windows 10. This means that, in a default Windows 10 installation, WMP Tag Plus isn't used anymore by Windows Media Player for FLAC tags.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's native FLAC support has been proven to still contain some issues. For example, it doesn't recognize certain tags that are recognized by WMP Tag Plus and most other FLAC implementations. The first thing you should do when you come
    across such an issue, is report it via the Windows 10 feedback tool. That's the best way to urge Microsoft to fix their FLAC support.

Because of the issues with the native FLAC support, you can optionally force the use of WMP Tag Plus for FLAC on Windows 10, thereby giving you the same FLAC support as in earlier Windows versions. For this, you will need to disable the native FLAC support.
    See the next question for instructions on how to do this.

How do I disable Microsoft's native FLAC tag support in Windows 10?
    First of all, make sure that you have the latest available version of WMP Tag Plus. Only versions 2.6 and newer support Windows 10.

Removing existing FLAC songs from the library
    Warning: if you skip this step, there's a high risk that you will lose some of the tags in your FLAC files!

• In Windows Media Player's library, select Music on the left, and type
      type:flac in the Search field.
    • Select a single song, then press Ctrl+A to select all songs.
    • Right-click the selection and select Delete. Choose Delete from library only, then click
      OK.
    • Close Windows Media Player.
    Disabling the native FLAC tag support
    This will not only disable the native FLAC tag support in Windows Media Player, but also in Windows Explorer. It's not possible to disable the support for Windows Media Player and leave it enabled for Explorer at the same time. However, if you're experiencing
    issues with FLAC tags in Windows Media Player, then you will very likely see the same issues in Explorer, so there's not much point in leaving it enabled in the latter anyway.

• Create a system restore point, just in case things get messed up.
    • Launch the Registry Editor: press Win+R, type regedit, and press
      Enter.
    • Navigate to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.flac.
    • Select the (Default) value, press Del, and click
      Yes to confirm.
    • 64-bit Windows only: repeat the previous step for the registry key
      KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.flac (note the
      Wow6432Node component).
    • Navigate to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\SystemPropertyHandlers.
    • Right-click the SystemPropertyHandlers key in the tree, select
      Permissions, and click Advanced.
    • Click the Change link next to Owner, type Administrators as the object name, and click
      OK.
    • In the existing Permission entries, select the Allow entry for
      Administrators and click Edit.
    • Tick the Full Control box, then click OK three times so that you're back in the main Registry Editor window.
    • Select the .flac value, press Del, and click
      Yes to confirm.
    • 64-bit Windows only: repeat steps 7-11 for the registry key
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\SystemPropertyHandlers (note the
      Wow6432Node component).
    • Close the Registry Editor, and restart Windows for the changes to take effect.
    Adding FLAC songs back to the library
    • Launch Windows Media Player and make sure that WMP Tag Plus is ticked in the
      Tools – Plug-ins menu, meaning that the plug-in is active (press
      Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu).
    • Make sure that the native FLAC tag support was successfully disabled. To do this, go to WMP Tag Plus settings (Tools –
      Options – Plug-ins – select Background – select
      WMP Tag Plus – Properties). In the list of supported file extensions, the
      Native support column should show No for FLAC. Finally, close the WMP Tag Plus settings dialog again.
    • To re-add the FLAC songs that were previously removed, go to Tools –
      Advanced, select Restore deleted library items, and click
      Yes.
    Undoing your changes
    If you want to enable the native FLAC tag support again, you can undo these changes by downloading and opening one of the following .zip files. Then unzip and open the included .reg file to import it into the registry:

After the .reg file has been successfully imported, remember to restart Windows for the changes to take effect.

chcolter, Jul 28, 2015
  3. FLAC & Media Player in Windows 10

I have spent months ripping my dad's entire CD collection on Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 10 only to find that the library regularly becomes corrupt and other strange behaviour from my FLAC files.

FLAC files ripped using WMP12 do not play on Groove Music!

I will be very very annoyed if all my hard work has to be started again. If you can, avoid any native Windows media players for handling your music.

stuartsomething, Jul 28, 2015
  4. How can I disable Windows Media Player's Native FLAC support?

I know this is not the answer you want and I hate when others post "Why do you" Just answer the damn question....

However, I have found that using K-Light Codec Pack is an EXCELLENT alternative to the WMP.
    It has the ability to play 100% anything and the Codecs are constantly being updated and are free just opt out of any promotions.
    WMP Classic x64 has never failed me and can even play 4K videos with no lag, at least on my machine.
    Get it direct from Codec Guide and not some 3rd party like softpedia.

Richard Shank, Jul 28, 2015
  5. Yes I know that... But that's not my question. I WANT to use a 3rd party codec for FLAC, but I can't because WMP decodes it natively now and I can't see a way to turn that off...

6. Jairus24 Win User
    Install K-lite, run codec tweak tool, there should be options there for what codec to use, set everything to LAV for both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Jairus24, Jul 28, 2015
  7. Yes, there is, but not for FLAC.

8. NoDeX Win User

How can I disable Windows Media Player's Native FLAC support?

Perhaps try contacting K-Lite developer, he might know something or add option.

NoDeX, Jul 28, 2015
  9. Tim De Baets, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How can I disable Windows Media Player's Native FLAC support?

1. How can I disable Windows Media Player's Native FLAC support? - Similar Threads - disable Media Player's

2. The new Media Player is set to the default media player automatically. How do I disable this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The new Media Player is set to the default media player automatically. How do I disable this?: So I found an issue with the media files on Windows. So this happened... When I open an media file with Movies and TV, that's when the terrible new Media Player started to set it to it's default media player. I had to set my Movies and TV to the media player back in the...
  3. The new Media Player is set to the default media player automatically. How do I disable this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The new Media Player is set to the default media player automatically. How do I disable this?: So I found an issue with the media files on Windows. So this happened... When I open an media file with Movies and TV, that's when the terrible new Media Player started to set it to it's default media player. I had to set my Movies and TV to the media player back in the...
  4. The new Media Player is set to the default media player automatically. How do I disable this?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  5. Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...

Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.What to do ?...
  6. Cannot Play/edit some .flac files in Windows Media Player.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot Play/edit some .flac files in Windows Media Player.: Hello, i have a problem with some (not all) .flac files: Windows Media Player won't play them (Says cannot be played because the codec is not supported). Also i cannot edit the tags in Windows Explorer. Groove cant play but can't edit. The problems started after the update...
  7. Windows Media Player not writing media information (metadata, tags etc) to .m4a and .flac...

Windows Media Player not writing media information (metadata, tags etc) to .m4a and .flac...: If I rate .mp3 songs in WMP, the rating is reflected back in the file itself, but when I rate .m4a or .flac files, the rating is only there in WMP but in the original file. This happens not for rating, but any other tags/metadata like Album, Album artist, Genre etc. What...
  8. Windows Media Player supported formats?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Media Player supported formats?: In Windows 10 October 2018 update, are there any formats that are supported by Windows Media Player that are not listed in the Default Apps sections of Settings? I know that WordPad supports doc files on a basic scale, but this function is hidden, manual association needs to...
  9. Windows 10: 9901 has native FLAC support

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: 9901 has native FLAC support: We knew it was coming and in the latest build of Windows 10 that leaked, FLAC support is now native to the OS. This shouldn't come as a major surprise as Microsoft already teased support for FLAC and now you can test it out for yourself. FLAC stands for 'Free Lossless...
  10. Windows 10 will support FLAC natively

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 will support FLAC natively: For media enthusiasts, Windows 10 is shaping up to be a good OS for your next media player as Microsoft has announced that FLAC support will ship with Windows 10. This codec is widely used and will be a welcomed addition to Windows 10. FLAC stands for 'Free Lossless Audio...